Skin Condition On Neck

sas

I have heard that the following works well for all skin problems:

3 drops of lavender oil + 3 drops of eucalyptus oil mixed in 500ml bottle of baby oil applied directly to the affected area.

I have not tried this so cannot recommend it but might be worth giving it a go if you run out of other options.

Anna

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sas, you might already be doing this, but I would only Malaseb the affected area - rather than the whole dog.

Out of curiosity, does he get ear infections?

No ear infections at this time, he shakes his head from time to time which we clean his ears when that occurs with an ear cleanser and mite treatment.

Yep, Vet said this morning to just spot treat with Malaseb.

So went to the Vet this morning.

Atopica is out at the moment as it would cost $210.00 per week, I wish I could try it but it isn't realistic at this stage.

We did however get the Vet to draw some blood for the Blood allergy test which will come back in approx 10 days.

So went to the Vet this morning.

Atopica is out at the moment as it would cost $210.00 per week, I wish I could try it but it isn't realistic at this stage.

We did however get the Vet to draw some blood for the Blood allergy test which will come back in approx 10 days.

Yikes, I knew the atopica was expensive but hadn't heard exactly how much!! :)

Good luck with the blood test... let us know what you find out... I've got heaps of little tips, tricks and other remedies for specific allergies if he comes up with any of the same ones as my guys... And you can hopefully try the immunotherapy off that if you get results for atopic/insect allergies... that's around the $300 per 6 months mark, which is better than the atopica!!!

I was just about to start a thread on a similar issue.

Jarrah has had some kind of skin problem on her legs for the past few weeks, I've seen her nibble at it once or twice, but it doesn't seem to bother her too much. I would like to know what it is so I can stop it early before it does really bother her.

Here's all the info I think might be relevant:

-She eats prey model, with a bit of vege left over from our dinners. I don't think defiency is the problem not sure though?

-I took beef out of her diet last week, she hasn't eaten any beef since (too early to say if this has helped yet I think)

-It hasn't been scabby or raw, just bumps with fur loss. Some itching but she doesn't scratch it too much.

-We use advantix every fortnight (tick application rate b/c we are in a tick area).

-It began about 3 weeks ago, it got bad about 2 weeks ago (see photo) and hasn't gotten any worse or any better since.

-I don't think there is any allergenic plants in my backyard apart from the grass (hope it's not a grass allergy)

-Its only on her back legs and a tiny bit on one front leg, the rest of her coat looks very healthy and glossy

Some pics

P1010006-1.jpg

P1010004-2.jpg

I was leaning toward a flea allergy, but I have book marked this thread and will give it a more thorough read to examine ideas here I might be able to use to clear it up. If I find a solution I will report back in this thread. Not sure if we are all dealing with the same skin conditions, but a lot of the remedies suggested here (malaseb, salt water etc and of course vet checks) sound like they could help skin probs from different causes.

I hope everyone dogs with skin conds gets better asap. :)

Edited by Wobbly

My golden retriever seemed to have a similar problem (I think :) ). I washed her with EPO vet grade shampoo and then regular grade every 4 days (+ blow drying). It cleared in 2 weeks. (btw I did try Malaseb and it didn't help)

She hasn't been playing with another dog that grabs backs legs has she? I know that sounds odd but my girls legs end up like that when she's been playing with a young dog who grabs back legs in play.

Hasn't had a fall or scrape?

It's odd that you would see hair loss like that without a scab forming if it wasn't something like the above. Perhaps best to check with the Vet so they can have a close look at it, better to catch it now if it is something to be wary of.

Hi SAS

She doesn't play with any other dogs - her social skills leave a bit to be desired - some amstaffs types are a bit like that.

She's pretty clumsy, so she does fall over every so often but the way this is on the same part of both back legs looks more a systemic allergy kind of thing than an external type scrape.

I've just been reading that Dalmatian bronzing link from Janba - its got some good points about allergens - I didn't think of wind borne allergens, apparently thats common, I don't know whats in my neighbours gardens. I'm going to add a fish oil capsule to her food tonight (fatty acids as suggested by them), her condition doesn't sound like bronzing, but the fatty acids can't hurt and they may just help if it's an allergy.

Its really weird, hasn't got worse or better (that I can see) just hair loss on her back legs, and a little bit on the front leg. :)

Doesn't seem to worry her, but it worries me because its not clearing up. Yesterday it looked a bit flaky - dandruff or dermatitis looking maybe? Its also a bit bumpy where the hair is missing - maybe swollen follicle like? But it's not scabby or raw or red at all. I haven't seen a vet yet because it doesn't seem to bother her, but staffys can be a bit skin sensitive so I'd like to get a handle on it asap, better safe than sorry, I will take her tommorrow to see what they think.

I really hope you find out the cause & the remedy for your boy ASAP, all good luck healing vibes to you guys.

Edited by Wobbly

Wobbly bull breed types are also prone to Demodectic mange, which doesn't itch (unless secondary infection develops)... might be time for a trip to the vet...

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html

ETA: It would fit the pattern of hair loss with no scab etc. and there are two types Localised (i.e.: it occurs in one or two localised spots) or generalised (all over)... We dealt with generalised dem here, normally the quicker you get on to it the better... but it does depend on the type and how old the dog is... pups can get cases of localised that will clear up with out treatment sometimes... best to check with the vet :)

Edited by zayda_asher

Oh god Zyda that page is terrifying. That poor shepard with the generalised form. :) I hope thats not our problem.

Definitely going to the vet first thing tomorrow now I've seen that, I will mention demodectic to them to make sure they check for it.

SAS - the pinetarsol might stain Dante a lovely yellowy shade, I love the smell of it, but other people dont - its very piney. I just mention it because its cheap and effective for symptomatic relief of itchiness (but wont treat the cause if its allergies), and it has also been recommended to me for use on Jarrah, apparently its as effective on dogs as people but i haven't tried it on her because she doesn't seem to be very itchy.

If the vet says anything that might apply to helping Dante or any other dogs with skin issues I'll definitely post it here. :)

Hi SAS

She doesn't play with any other dogs - her social skills leave a bit to be desired - some amstaffs types are a bit like that.

She's pretty clumsy, so she does fall over every so often but the way this is on the same part of both back legs looks more a systemic allergy kind of thing than an external type scrape.

I've just been reading that Dalmatian bronzing link from Janba - its got some good points about allergens - I didn't think of wind borne allergens, apparently thats common, I don't know whats in my neighbours gardens. I'm going to add a fish oil capsule to her food tonight (fatty acids as suggested by them), her condition doesn't sound like bronzing, but the fatty acids can't hurt and they may just help if it's an allergy.

Its really weird, hasn't got worse or better (that I can see) just hair loss on her back legs, and a little bit on the front leg. :)

Doesn't seem to worry her, but it worries me because its not clearing up. Yesterday it looked a bit flaky - dandruff or dermatitis looking maybe? Its also a bit bumpy where the hair is missing - maybe swollen follicle like? But it's not scabby or raw or red at all. I haven't seen a vet yet because it doesn't seem to bother her, but staffys can be a bit skin sensitive so I'd like to get a handle on it asap, better safe than sorry, I will take her tommorrow to see what they think.

I really hope you find out the cause & the remedy for your boy ASAP, all good luck healing vibes to you guys.

LOL sounds like my boys wonderful social skills.

Do you think it could be some time of mite perhaps?

Could be an infected folicle? Not that I guess it's reccomended but if you gave it a little squeeze you could see if there is any puss there.

Hopefully its not Wobbly... but don't stress too much even if it is, its fully treatable and that GSD has been left for a while before being treated to get the skin like that... Zayda never looked like that with her generalised Dem cos we got on top of it early... she just looked like a poor bald, skiny dog! :)

Pintarsol does smell... I used to use that myself too... stinky, kinda in a nice way though! :)

Here Wobbly, just to set your mind at ease:

This is Zayda at age 6 after the Demdectic mange and with chronic allergic skin disease... you'd never know if I didn't tell you she'd had the Dem or that she has the allergies... Its not all doom and gloom :)

2218702848_5dc9e0d875.jpg

Zayda - Jarrahs under a year old, and they said on the page link that prognosis for juveniles with dem is good, so not too worried about the dem in particular, but it gave me a shock because I've been so blase about this - it's been there for about 3 weeks and I've not seen a vet because I assumed it wasn't anything major b/c it hasn't been bothering her. But major problems can start as minor ones like this if they aren't treated, I should have got onto it ASAP - got a bit of a reality check there with that link.

SAS did you ask your vet about anithistamines? I wish I could be more help to you and Dante, poor guy, itchy skin is maddening.

Hi Sas,

I cant help with a cure for the lumps but I can offer advice on the allergy blood test. We have a GSD bitch who 12 months ago had such bad allergies that almost all her hair came out, she was covered in scabs and her ears were sore, her feet were chewed to the bone almost. We had the SPOT blood test done and started on the de-sensitizing injections on 28th Sept 2007. Now she is off all cortizone, has grown her hair back, no longer chews her feet and her ears are only occasionally itchy. The only time I find she starts to get a bit itchy is about a week before her next injection is due but we give her a polaramine and it settles her. Some may say that the blood test is no good but I have living proof in my bitch that it can work. Its worth a try, a lot cheaper than the intra-dermal testing AND a lot less invasive to the dog and he doesnt have to come off cortisone for the testing to be done. Also the SPOT test can test for food allergies whereas the intra-dermal cant. Good Luck!

It's great to hear a positive story! I'm glad you're girl is more comfortable now!

Do you mind if I ask out of curiosity:

What your girl was allergic too?

How much was the Spot Test?

How long did the test take to come back?

How much are the ongoing injections?

How long was it before you could take her off the Cortisone?

Sorry for delay in replying, busy busy ,busy!

Hmm what wasnt she allergic too! I did post it somewhere else on here...looking looking..ahh found it!

Couch Grass, Paspalum,Orchard,Canary Grass,Johnson Grass, Dock/Sheep Sorrel, English Plantain,Oilseed Rape,Juniper/Cedar, Box Elder/Maple, Privet, Willow, Aspergillus,Alternaria, Cladosportum, Pullataria,Nigrospora, Cat hair, House dust mites, Chicken, Eggs, Milk, Turkey, Oatmeal, Barley,Tomato Pomace,Peas, Pyrethrum, Tobacco Smoke, House Fly and Malassezia.

Spot test cost $495.00

Test had to go to USA, took approx 2 weeks to return

Ongoing injections, first course which we are on now (9 months) was $525 but she has to have 2 lots of injections as she has so many allergies.

We had her off the cortisone by December but she was still on the polaramine until Feb this year. Now its only occasionally she needs a polaramine.

I was bathing her twice a week in Malaseb, which I honestly think helped heaps. She still gets a bath every couple of weeks and we now have to use the dryer as she has so much more hair :rolleyes:

Good luck with your boy and the best advice I can give you is to be totally vigilant with the programme. I dont feed her ANY of the things she is allergic to, I even make her own dog biscuits as so many of them have some form of chicken in for flavouring. They cant make a serum to desensitize the food allergies., makes sense I guess as you can eliminate these.

The injections get easier also when you've done them a few times.

Let us know what the test reveals.

It looks very like dalmatian bronzing and as the colour patterns are similar could be the same. I have known some dally owners who have had success in treating it by zinc supplement and curash

http://www.thedca.org/derm.html

Yep, we used the Zinc / curash, it just made the area moist which allwowed it to spread :rolleyes:

You use curash powder not the cream and zinc as a dietary supplement.. The curash powder helps to dry it out.