Worried About 2yr Old Rottweiler

cjm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am terribly sorry, tears came into my eyes as I read your post with the results and I'm devastated... it's not your fault it's okay but I am so sorry for your loss, Pru was such a lovely girl.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thank you all for the thoughts. We don't have the PM results back yet so I can't stop thinking about the "what if's" and why we didn't insist on more investigations sooner. Or taking her to Perth, or anything really. It just feels like we sat back and watched her suffer. She was far too young and didn't deserve any of this :D

Well I have the PM results if anyone is interested, and it is certainly not what we expected at all. I have asked the vet to write a report (I am sure I have missed details) and I will call Pru's breeder very soon to let her know what has happened.

Basically, the neurological problems and her breathing difficulties were completely unrelated. She had a congenital brain defect where he found one blood vessel in her brain was 5mm thick when it should have been 1/2mm thick - amongst other things, which caused some ssubstancial bleeding thus the neurological issues. This did not kill her. This week she suffered a lung torsion. It didn't show on the xray, although there were bronchial markings they could have been caused by her rapid breathing? So in theory yes this could have been operated on, however the vet said it usually only diagnosed on PM unfortunately as in our case. Also we were trying to link the two issues when now it is obvious they were unrelated, it made diagnosis even more complicated.

There was no sign of meningitis or any other brain infection.

Thank you guys for the support, I am just in shock at the moment and trying to understand all of this.

Hi cjm, I am so sorry about Pru. It doesn't sound as if anything would have helped, but all that could have been done was done. Sometimes things just go wrong - no one is to blame - it just happens. And it's more difficult when it is something unusual.

best wishes to you and your family.

Thank you all for the thoughts. We don't have the PM results back yet so I can't stop thinking about the "what if's" and why we didn't insist on more investigations sooner. Or taking her to Perth, or anything really. It just feels like we sat back and watched her suffer. She was far too young and didn't deserve any of this :)

Sometimes the most beautiful butterflies have the shortest lives.

Well I have the PM results if anyone is interested, and it is certainly not what we expected at all. I have asked the vet to write a report (I am sure I have missed details) and I will call Pru's breeder very soon to let her know what has happened.

Basically, the neurological problems and her breathing difficulties were completely unrelated. She had a congenital brain defect where he found one blood vessel in her brain was 5mm thick when it should have been 1/2mm thick - amongst other things, which caused some ssubstancial bleeding thus the neurological issues. This did not kill her. This week she suffered a lung torsion. It didn't show on the xray, although there were bronchial markings they could have been caused by her rapid breathing? So in theory yes this could have been operated on, however the vet said it usually only diagnosed on PM unfortunately as in our case. Also we were trying to link the two issues when now it is obvious they were unrelated, it made diagnosis even more complicated.

There was no sign of meningitis or any other brain infection.

Thank you guys for the support, I am just in shock at the moment and trying to understand all of this.

So sorry for your loss. Pru was a gorgeous girl.

SHe will always be watching over you and never far away

Thank you, I finally got onto her breeder and lets just say I didn't expect that response but it's over at least and I thought she should know about the brain problem. I wasn't asking for anything and now I feel worse.