Bleeding From The Bowel.

My son and family have a Chihuahua. Last night the poor little thing was going out to the toilet every 20 minutes and was passing blood more than faeces. My daughter in law had the day off work and took him to the vet. The vet said it is quite common in Chihuahuas and is due to diet. A bland diet was suggested with lots of rice and less meat. He seems ok this afternoon after having a penicillin shot and cortisone shot.

We were worried and suspected cancer, as he had the same problem when they lived in Queensland and the vet up there said the same thing. That was a couple of years ago.

Today the vet said there is no such thing as bowel cancer in dogs, so we breathed a sigh of relief.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Moggy

My dog had a problem like this (he's a 3.5 y/o desexed Siberian Husky) and we took him to the vet to have him checked out. He didn't seem to have any other symptoms except the bleeding. We were told that it was either a common virus that dogs can pick up from other dogs at the dog park (much like gastro) or that he had eaten something that didn't agree with his stomach. 2 days of boiled chicken and rice later (and some antibiotics just in case) and he was back to normal. He's had a couple of instances of it, which makes me think he might be pre-disposed to getting it, but we've learned that we can just give him a couple of days of very soft, bland food and he's fine.... hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a dog with this problem and rushed him to the vet. Vet said probably just a change in diet. He stayed on fillet chicken and rice for a couple of days and that was it. Vet said don't really worry unless the poo's are really really smelly or there is no improvement in a couple of days after a bland diet of chicken and rice is feed. It was a bit worry at first as his poo's were a bit runny too.