RL1

Rotty Owners

22,065 posts in this topic

RL1   

Does anybody have any ideas on what could cause my female Rott ( 8 years old )to have a limp on her front leg ? She was limping quite a bit coming home from the park today, but it seems to come and go. I've asked the vet during the last two visits when we were there for other reasons, but they haven't been able to diagnose anything other than to try some "green lipped mussel powder" with her food. My old girl who i lost last easter to bone cancer had a limp in her back leg so it's a bit of a concern now.

Marapana   

RottyLover maybe she has done a cesamoid (sp) small bone in the toes i think. I had a rott years ago and he did 1 of his, no treatment he got over it. Not saying that is what she has done but it might be worth checking that out.

Good luck.

Rottgems   
RG, Kansas had very bad mastitis with Ruger's litter.

She also had her teat burst, i took her too the vet, hed put 5 staples in to hold the teat in place because it was only hanging on by a thread.

Kansas just lay on the flooor of the surgery and he put the staples in, she never moved, so brave.

I then put paw paw ointment on and kept it bandaged, i just bandaged the one teat and let the pups feed off the others.

She has healed up so well you would never know she has had anything wrong.

It is hard with the pups feeding but it worked wonders for her.

Good luck and i hope she comes good asap.

Maddison is hanging in, temp normal but things can change so quickly.

Thanks,

I'm putting paw paw on it but she keeps licking it.

How did you bandage it?

Tape all around the body?

I'm sup feeding just to give her a break, but letting the pup finish off on her , she doesn't have that much milk?

Just for a day or two, until she is over this.

Good luck with Maddison :D

kiahzen   

RG if you go to the Chemist you can get square gauze type dressings that you can stick straight over the wound...

These are the types of dressings that you have when you get stitches etc and they don't stick to the wound just to the skin around it....

Sorry i don't remember what they are called though....

RottyLover... Maybe get them to do an x-ray if it's concerning to you, that way you can hopefully rule out bone cancer..

Let us know how you go Good Luck...

SB, what are you getting snipped and sewn? I go on Tues for a cut and sew. I have a Basal Cell Carcinoma on my nose. Thankfully this is the least dangerous skin cancer. They are doing this with locals too. The thought horrifies me.

I hope yours goes well today!!! Good luck!

I had a largish pale brown freckle on my right arm that turned dark, tripled in size and became raised like a pyramid......over only a few months. I myself didn't pay much attention but everyone kept saying to me "oooooh that looks nasty, have you had it looked at?"

So off I went............prognosis was, best to just take it off ! His official word was "I have seen some like this that are nothing and some that end up quite nasty"

So on Saturday...5 needles of local later.....out it came .....with about 4-5 stitches. Not overly big and they took a bit of depth and off it went for testing. It hasn't hurt too much .......but got home from training Sunday to find it had been bleeding a little bit.

They put Opsite on my arm so I could shower, problem is it itches like anything....driving me spare. Even my sleeve ruubbing it makes it itch.

Thanks for that pic BBJ :laugh:

I soooo love Q when she has a toy in her mouth because it means she has no room to fit human flesh in there!!!

Mind you, that toy is so aptly named for Q - a loopy toy in the mouth of a fruitloopy Q :D

I bet she could still fit a size 5 leather boot!!! :rofl:

I now have a small split on the bottom sole......a canine I am thinking! :D Guess I wasn't quick enough that day for the game!

In regards to Panadol.....it is toxic to dogs as their liver cannot process it.

People cannot tolerate large doses of panadol either.......when i did a small stint in forensics there was a case of a teenage girl who died because she had tried to kill herself with panadol. It didn't kill her immediately of course, but it destroyed her liver.....she was on the transplant list but it didn't arrive in time. :confused:

Vets often recommend a low dose when vet intervention isn't convenient (the old take a panadol and call in the morning)........but not to be given repeatedly over time because of this reason.

When my old boy was getting arthritis ....for some reason only panadol helped...the vet said to me that giving him panadol for longer than a week would kill him within 12 months. For a 12yo dog it was quality of quantity.......he was pts only 3 months later anyway and at least for most of that time he had a lot less pain and had been his usual happy self.

RG if you go to the Chemist you can get square gauze type dressings that you can stick straight over the wound...

These are the types of dressings that you have when you get stitches etc and they don't stick to the wound just to the skin around it....

Sorry i don't remember what they are called though....

RottyLover... Maybe get them to do an x-ray if it's concerning to you, that way you can hopefully rule out bone cancer..

Let us know how you go Good Luck...

BP....is it melolin?

Its sort of shiny on one side..........

oonga   

ShellyBeggs,

Take care with that removal spot!!! Glad you got it off!! :D

ShellyBeggs,

Take care with that removal spot!!! Glad you got it off!! :)

Thanks Oonga........even thou its likely nothing better to have it off, especially as its my "driving sunburn" arm.

griff   

RG, Ouch Poor Girl with a busted boob . hoping it heals sooner than later.

Shelly ... Good to hear you are OK :) I have had 2 removed from my breasts , it hurt

as they were in a lot deeper than first thought.

RottyLover... For piece of mind and to get to the bottom of why the limping

ask for a full paw, leg , shoulder X ray , Hope its nothing too nasty.

Mara ... all the best for Maddys whelping :(

Blue , ....How is Chandras eyes ? hows her show training going ?

Ashli   
RG, Kansas had very bad mastitis with Ruger's litter.

She also had her teat burst, i took her too the vet, hed put 5 staples in to hold the teat in place because it was only hanging on by a thread.

Kansas just lay on the flooor of the surgery and he put the staples in, she never moved, so brave.

I then put paw paw ointment on and kept it bandaged, i just bandaged the one teat and let the pups feed off the others.

She has healed up so well you would never know she has had anything wrong.

It is hard with the pups feeding but it worked wonders for her.

Good luck and i hope she comes good asap.

Maddison is hanging in, temp normal but things can change so quickly.

Thanks,

I'm putting paw paw on it but she keeps licking it.

How did you bandage it?

Tape all around the body?

I'm sup feeding just to give her a break, but letting the pup finish off on her , she doesn't have that much milk?

Just for a day or two, until she is over this.

Good luck with Maddison :)

Poor Stevie :(:eek:

How is Yana doing? :D

RL1   

Yes we're on our way down now to the Vet.

oonga   

oooohhhhhhh we have a brand new thread now LOL

funny thing is yesterday i was thinking i must go through my Maia adventures and copy them into a word document.

I know there are some funny stories there plus i have received PM's from people over the last 2 years telling me how much they love reading about our adventures together :)

I guess i better do that now :(

Ooooh dear - I had better go copy Enya's puppy diary :)

RottyLover - I would also recommend getting your girl to a doggy chiro if you can. They can pick up things that a vet may miss. Hope your girl is OK :(

RG, Ouch Poor Girl with a busted boob . hoping it heals sooner than later.

Shelly ... Good to hear you are OK :) I have had 2 removed from my breasts , it hurt

as they were in a lot deeper than first thought.

Mara ... all the best for Maddys whelping :(

Blue , ....How is Chandras eyes ? hows her show training going ?

Before I answer anyone want a deaf 17 month old cat that has figured out it can climb up the fly wire door and hang there???? she's gonna put holes in my door grrr. and before i am asked her food and water bowls are full so she has no excuse to be going ballistic lol.

Her eyes look better imo you can still see the hair is a little thin but it doesn't look to bad i will try get another photo (hoping hoping its clear in time for the show).

seems to b e going okay she is getting the idea of trotting along and turning (all whilst staying on left hand side yay) slowly getting idea to not sit when we say stop. as for standing shakes head lol working on it she automatically sits are i allowed to tie a sheet around her back end to hold her up lol. we'll get her there

oonga   

oh my goodness!!!

i was just playing around with some functions and saw the my friends section.

I had no idea i had added some people as friends there :(

wonder when or how i did that??

but then i was blown away when I saw a section that has who has added me as their friends.

I almost fell off my chair when i saw the amount of people who have added me as their friends :eek:

:) guys i feel so special now :D

Marapana   

Rottegems, i put the bandage around the affected teat, lucky it was a front one so i just by passed the others so the pups could still drink.

Here is a photo of the affected one taken this morning, as you can see it is back to normal. Paw paw cream and a bandage good as new.

P4080002.jpg

but then i was blown away when I saw a section that has who has added me as their friends.

Where is that bit? I know I've seen it before, but I've looked since and can't find it :D

ETA: Hah - I found it!! :)

ETA2: :( There is someone who added me as their friend who I have on ignore :eek: Apparently the friendship feeling isn't mutual!!

Edited by Allerzeit