RL1

Rotty Owners

22,065 posts in this topic

Paul777   

Scottsmum.

Yes, I haven't checked his anal glands but the vet didn't say anything at his 3 month check-up a fortnight ago. I'm not entirely sure what to look for but I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Nothing inflamed, nothing stinky.

And yes, he's only "bum-scooted" twice since I've had him when he had a sloppy poo, to clean his bum. It's not something that I've seen him do at any other time.

The breeders advised adding some kibble (I get grain free) which has him crapping nicely.

Haven't noticed the wiggling thing, I'll have to pay attention next time. I've never seen a tail wag as fast as this pups (I think it's cute) It's like it's motorised.

Sounds like the Bob tail situation is a bit different in Rottis than in Aussies. Always unfortunate when people breed for one physical trait to the detriment of other things. As far as people thinking they are docked over NBT, most people will, they do with Aussies all the time despite the fact that they were never routinely docked. My Aussie has a full tail and people often comment on how "nice it is to see one without a docked tail"

Paul777   

I'd never heard of a Bob Tail before & obviously didn't do my research. He was brought home to be my companion, not to breed or to show.

I think he's beautiful & really couldn't care if people choose to think that he's anything less. It smells of politics to me.

Simply Grand - I hadn't really thought about other breeds that were docked, like Aussies & Foxies before. It's something that I guess that I took for granted that that's how certain breeds looked. A Doberman is one breed that'll look very different with a tail, I've yet to see one. Obviously controversial topics :eek:

Adnil444   

Hi All, I haven't been on this forum for quite a while, but was hoping for some guidance.  My rottie x dobe was diagnosed this week with a pathological fracture in her shoulder due to osteosarcoma. She started to limp about 6 weeks earlier but seemed very happy enough.  I rested her for a few days thinking she may have a bruise or pulled a muscle.  The limp continued. I took her to the vet and they could feel arthritis in her wrist and she was put on a course of Zydax injections - after the 3rd injection I told them to stop and x-ray her as there was no difference and the limping was getting worse.  My worst fears were realised.  She turned 9 in August 2017. She also has laryngeal paralysis which is slowing getting worse as well.

The vet is very concerned about the fracture as it could displace causing her a lot of pain - she said amputation isn't even an option given where the fracture is and I'm not sure I would put my girl through it anyway even if it was an option.  She is currently on pain relief. I am on annual leave for the next week but my fear is when I'm back at work, if she displaced the fracture and I wasn't here to assist her.  The vet has suggested putting her to sleep sooner rather than later.  My girl Rosie is also very stoic

What kills me is she looks perfectly normal.  Her limping is almost gone (due to the pain relief) and she is still eating and seems to be enjoying herself.  She sleeps alot and is inside with the airconditioning.

I know what I have to do, and it needs to be done before I go back to work. My other dogs that I have pts have all looked sick and you could see it was the right thing to do, but with Rosie, she looks so normal.  A friends rottie also had osteosarcoma in the shoulder (was diagnosed just before Christmas).  She also looked good and you couldn't tell my looking at her, she was 8.  She was pts on boxing day.

This is the tough side of owning our wonderful dogs.

• Sad 2