Spitting In Dog's Mouth

Has anybody heard of the old wive's tale if you spit in a dog's mouth when it is very young, it will be loyal to you and you only.

My mum swears by it (they always had working dogs on the farm) so we decided to try it when we got our first pup

My hubby spat in Scrubby's mouth (JRT) and she does anything and everything for him. So when we got our second JRT, Pumpit, I decided to spit in her mouth. (A little girly spit) :D

I didn't expect it to work as my hubby is Top Dog in our house. So we just presumed that Pumpit would follow the 'chain of command' but No, she is my dog and all my dog

Has anybody else ever tried it? Got nothing to lose except a little spit....(but only one person should do the spitting....and watch your aim)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is one of the strangest posts i have ever read :D

No ive never tried it and never heard of it, mine are loyal to me because i feed them and do everything else for them too. But whatever works for you :laugh::)

No, never tried it and never will.

If you took away all the training, hard work you put in with the dogs, and stop making an effort to be alpha in the pack, do you think spitting in the dogs mouth will still work? :)

It's an old wives tail and that's it :D

I have heard of similar "old wives tales"

If you had an animal orphaned at birth it was said that if you breathed into the animals face and your smell was the first the animal was exposed to it would assume you were it's mother and bond to you as such.

If you had an animal orphaned at birth it was said that if you breathed into the animals face and your smell was the first the animal was exposed to it would assume you were it's mother and bond to you as such.

Dear lord I hope not, that would mean all those little ones I helped after being born by caesar would have been wondering why they had two mummies :D

Lucky it wasn't my OH's smell, 'cause sometime he smells disgusting....... :laugh: ;) :(

We should probably start an old wives tales thread! I haven't heard the spitting in the mouth one, but I have heard the spitting in the foodbowl one. The idea apparently is that in the wild top dogs eat first, and their saliva is all over the kill, so you should spit on your dog's food.

Personally I think it's rubbish, and kindof disgusting to boot.

COME on everyone get over it. no pumpitdog I have never heard of spitting in the dogs mouth but i have heard of spitting in their food. I recently has a dog behaviorist at my place and asked his opinion on it and he said that he too has heard of spitting in the food and that it is old school. As long as you and the rest of the family have eaten before the dog ( he can smell it on you) so then you are establishing the alpha role. basically, Human eats first then comes the dog.

COME on everyone get over it. no pumpitdog I have never heard of spitting in the dogs mouth but i have heard of spitting in their food. I recently has a dog behaviorist at my place and asked his opinion on it and he said that he too has heard of spitting in the food and that it is old school. As long as you and the rest of the family have eaten before the dog ( he can smell it on you) so then you are establishing the alpha role. basically, Human eats first then comes the dog.

What do you mean by 'get over it'? ;)

My dogs only eat in the morning, so we don't eat before them - I have found if you aren't able to eat before them, then using a program like Triangle of Temptation is really useful, the dog learns they need to look to you for permission to eat and are focused on you and not the food. Works fantastically :laugh:

I agree with Anita that there are some corkers of old wives tails out there! Has anyone seen the movie Snow Dogs where they tell Cuban Gooding Jnr that the dog will respect you if you nip its ear? :(

Pumpitdog, nothing against you at all - I am sure the reason your dogs respect you and see you as alpha is because you provide a strong pack order and teach them good manners and training, not cos you spat in its mouth :D

I agree with Anita that there are some corkers of old wives tails out there! Has anyone seen the movie Snow Dogs where they tell Cuban Gooding Jnr that the dog will respect you if you nip its ear? :laugh:

That was my favourite part, do you mean it's not true? * sob*

I agree with Anita that there are some corkers of old wives tails out there! Has anyone seen the movie Snow Dogs where they tell Cuban Gooding Jnr that the dog will respect you if you nip its ear? :laugh:

That was my favourite part, do you mean it's not true? * sob*

I love how he does it and then the dog looks at him like "Yeah... And?" Typical sibe! ;)

As long as you and the rest of the family have eaten before the dog ( he can smell it on you) so then you are establishing the alpha role. basically, Human eats first then comes the dog.

Nope !!! My dogs eat before me nearly every day and I have no leadership issues.

Never heard of spitting in their mouth, but I do sometimes spit food and Diesel has to catch it :) But this is for focus and eye contact in obedience.

We normally eat before the dogs, just because of routine, not any other reason, and of course if we are going out and are going to be late home, they are fed before we leave so we don't need to feed them when we get back.

I have'nt heard of that one with dogs but I have heard

that if you breath into nostrils of a new born foal, while its still on the ground, it will be yours forever and do what ever you wish, and only you.

it was an old Arabian saying, I remember old bushies saying things like that too. :)

it has a calming affect on older horses as well.

now I think they call it imprint training charge $1000's to tell you the same thing ;)

I've never heard of that, I just fed my guys their breakfast but they were served in clean dry stainless steel bowls and I mixed their breakfast with a clean spoon from the kitchen.

If I spat in it, I'd have to throw it in the bin, I couldn;t feed it to them ;) :)

• Troy locked this topic