Cutting My Dogs Nails

BBNZ

Hi

I accidentally cut my poor dog's nails this afternoon and she happened to move and it cut it too deep and it started bleeding. We managed to stop it but then she went out and had a play and it has started up again and is bleeding more than before.

Do you have some tips to stop the bleeding?

Styptic powder would be the best choice, cornflour will work most times as will soap (scrape the nail backwards over a bar of soap to clog the nail). Sometimes a nail will be a bit stubborn and a light bandage for say 24 hours over the foot to protect the nail will be needed. If you do need to bandage make sure an experienced person does it as dressings can cause horrendous damage if not done or treated properly.

This has happened to me a couple of times when Zero has moved while we've been clipping his nails (he was abused by his previous owners and still doesn't like his paws being handled for long periods of time). If I have styptic powder (or more likely, if i can find where i put it) then I'll use that but if I don't then I just use some cornflour, both of which seem to work for me. If it's a particularly bad bleed then i hear that a combination of styptic powder and a bandage to hold it tight, though i've been told that it can bleed again when you remove the bandage - not sure how good the powder/bandage thing is, Zero's never had a bad bleed. :dummy: