Big Matted Areas

Guest porterpup2

A dematting tool may help - like a Coat king, but designed to cut through knots.

Incidentally. Coat King has now released a new model - specially for pet owners, which retails for around $30. I think this is a great idea.

Hi Jed

I have a puppy buyer wanting to know where you can get the Coat King for Pet Owners - they have only been able to find the real on for $56 and want to get the cheaper one you are talking about.

Thanks in advance

Guest porterpup2

I am near North Sydney... and currently go to a groomer at 4 Paws vet...

I will try and get a new slicker brush, maybe I am using the wrong one....

Its so bizarre because I wash and condition and blow dry him at least once a week, and use a spray on conditioner...

I wonder whether the fact he rubs himself in the dirt and grass all the time is making it more matted?

Why does he do this??

Guest kaydoug

I have read with interest this forum as I have the same prob with a cavi/poodle cross (10 mths old). I will take on board all the suggestions, thanks, but want to ask the following:

1. When brushed with either a slicker (pin type) brush or comb, there is SO much static that her hair stands on end - a VERY bad hair day. I would think this only adds to the problem?

2. She "crys" when I try to remove the knots (and lets me know by a little nibble) even though I hold the hair beneath the knot and try not to pull on the skin.

I am now giving her a quick once over daily to alleviate the problem; will she grow out of this and get used to being groomed?

Also, she hates being turned over to do underneath - will this improve with age?

PS the groomer recommended I have her on my knee to brush - Cassie thinks this is great, and now tries to get on the furniture at any opportunity!

Thanks for the help,

Kay.

Hi Kaydoug,

Your groomer has given you some really bad advice, always groom your dogs on a table with a non slip surface never on your lap.

By doing this she will feel mor esecure and will learn that it's not playtime but quite time to stand still and enjoy.

Do not make it a game but do make it enjoyable use plenty of quiet praise.

When grooming underneath put her in the stand position one hand from behind between her two back legs this will support her and also stop her from sitting brush with the other hand. Do not groom her while she is rolled over as this is a position many dogs are not comfortable with and will only make your job harder.

If the slicker brush is hurting her in any way it is not being used correctly (either it's scratching the skin or the knots are being pulled instead of worked out also the brush might be too hard for the kind of coat your dog has)

Regards Nicole

Guest kaydoug

Nicole, thanks for the advice - I'll certainly try your suggestions today.

To Jed, if you are still out there, earlier you mentioned spraying with Alpha Keri oil and water. Does this leave a greasy residue on the coat? Being very much an indoors friend, I don't want "oil" marks all over our clothes or rugs/carpets.

Once again, thanks for the help,

Kay.