Dog Food Reviews And Ratings

Ive taken Aly off all Kibble and she now has BARF patties, chicken necks, sardines or mackerl she hasnt looked back,

skin is glowing she has trimmed down so thumbs up to BARF :rolleyes:

Belinda

The biggest problem in australia is the lack of Premium Healthy Foods.

By this I mean foods like pal and science diet are classed as one of the worst types of foods you can feed your pet due to the high amount of grains and corn in the food.

Below is a link which generally guides you through the best and worst rated dog foods avaliable out there worldwide. While many of these foods are unavaliable I was able to track down some of them in australia, unfortunately they arent cheap and a 13kg bag will cost you $120AU

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php

here is also another dogfood link to help you understand what it is exactly that those words on the ingredients mean.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

There is nothing wrong with the food if your dog is healthy and doing well on it - what is good for some, is not good for others.

If your dog does well on HSD (or Pal for that matter) then that is what you should stick too.

There is also the fact that some people simply cannot afford to purchase some of these high end foods.

Personally, we feed Ollie a diet that is high in protein and fats and low in carbs (a cancer starving diet) and he is thriving on it and all meat is cooked, not fed raw. We try to use as much organic food as possible but some weeks the budget does not stretch that far and he has to have supermarket meat (like us - what is wrong with that picture :confused: )...

My dogs have a variety chicken mince, bone etc minced in, raw. Beef or 'roo mince lightly cooked with raw veges mixed in. Chicken necks. Eggs raw with the shells. Sardines in Oil. Yoghart. Liver. Heart.

Sometimes Pal, dry or Supercoat dry. Ocassionally tins of Natures Own or My Dog.

I've had long coats and smooth, big dogs and small, and they all do well on the above and I've never had any allergies or food intolerances.

Tess, smoking and feeding Pro Plan aren't even comparable. Surely there's a better argument than that. :D

I don't think Tess was comparing them directly. Last time T bone tried to light up a durry he couldn't quite get his thumb to work the lighter.

I think she might have been making the point that some people do everything wrong and still seem to have no problems so looking a a few people (or dogs) isn't good enough in deciding that a food is okay or not. You'd really need to compare thousands of one breed split into three groups - an Advance group, a BARF group (fed identical diets) and a control group.

Guest Tess32
Tess, smoking and feeding Pro Plan aren't even comparable. Surely there's a better argument than that. :D

I don't think Tess was comparing them directly. Last time T bone tried to light up a durry he couldn't quite get his thumb to work the lighter.

I think she might have been making the point that some people do everything wrong and still seem to have no problems so looking a a few people (or dogs) isn't good enough in deciding that a food is okay or not. You'd really need to compare thousands of one breed split into three groups - an Advance group, a BARF group (fed identical diets) and a control group.

Yep that's right.

Sheridan, Gomez eats the Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy, it's all fish and no chicken at all - great stuff

Yep, that's one of the kibbles I feed Ardee. He loves it. I also use the Ziwipeak venison and fish for treats. I can get him off a bone by asking him if he wants a Ziwipeak. :D

My dogs have a variety chicken mince, bone etc minced in, raw. Beef or 'roo mince lightly cooked with raw veges mixed in. Chicken necks. Eggs raw with the shells. Sardines in Oil. Yoghart. Liver. Heart.

Sometimes Pal, dry or Supercoat dry. Ocassionally tins of Natures Own or My Dog.

I've had long coats and smooth, big dogs and small, and they all do well on the above and I've never had any allergies or food intolerances.

Its great to see your feeding raw foods pebbles, just be careful feeding raw eggs, its usually alot safer to feed them cooked. Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella. :D

Liver is really good for animals but too high in quantity can be bad and can cause a vitamin A toxicity which affects muscles and bones.

heres a good link of what to avoid or only feed in small amounts.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...;articleid=1030

Edited by kyliegirl

Staffyluv,

why do you feed Ollie cooked meat and not raw?

is it part of the cancer starving diet?

Besides the fact that the fat boy does not like raw food anymore - it is more to make sure that any bacteria in the meat is killed off. If he gets sick, he gets really sick. A small bug that most dogs can fight off relatively easy, can see him on antibiotics for weeks.

Kyliegirl, yep, that menu I posted could look a bit over the top lol. One egg gets whisked, shell pulverised, divided among 4 littlies and fed maybe once a week/10 days. The liver, heart fed in small amounts mixed with chicken/beef mince probably about the same time spans, Sardines, small amount about once a week. When I had big dogs this was still done in proportion to their size.

Base meals consist of the minces, necks and dry food.

Staffyluv,

why do you feed Ollie cooked meat and not raw?

is it part of the cancer starving diet?

Besides the fact that the fat boy does not like raw food anymore - it is more to make sure that any bacteria in the meat is killed off. If he gets sick, he gets really sick. A small bug that most dogs can fight off relatively easy, can see him on antibiotics for weeks.

ah ok, thanks for letting me know :)

Give him a hug while you are at it too please :thumbsup:

I've been using Eagle Pack weight management dry food recently and am very happy with it.

I also feed chicken frames, chicken necks, nice fresh meaty bones, as often as i can i make up a mix of premium beef mince, veg and rice, i also add raw egg (shell and all) every so often, and occasionally they'll get sardines... and they also like a bit of natural yoghurt every now and again :)

I keep tins of Natures gift on hand for emergencies..

Edited by krash01

I make a home made BARF patty mix after I found that the BARF principle worked best for my puppy. Dry kibble made him HYPER, gave him horrible hard poops. Wet food saw him eating his poop. Home mix of plain cooked brown rice and raw chicken mince produced what looked like dijon mustard.

So I got a book called The Ultimate Diet for Dogs and Cats (see http://www.kymythy.com/) and it was, from what I gathered, BARF based.

Now, once every few weeks I buy roo and lamb mince, mix it with pulped (and then strained) veg, chopped up offal (usually lambs fry) natural yoghurt, flaxseed oil, ground alfalfa and kelp, a tiny bit of garlic and ginger and a few whole crushed eggs (shell and all) - takes 30 mins and costs nix. I freeze in portion sized containers.

I give my puppy this for breakie, a tiny bit at lunch (we are weening him down to two meals a day) and a raw chook neck or wing for dinner. I have sardines in the fridge and am going to experiment adding that to his meals here and there. I also occasionally give a raw salmon tail for dinner in lieu of chook. And doesn't he trot around like the ants pants with that! :thumbsup:

That's just what I do and I find it economical, easy and I feel good feeding it :) ... plus his coat looks AMAZING since switching from the pre made BARF patties to the home made stuff which really surprised me. It looked fantastic on the pre made, but on this he GLOWS!

Edited by sjl79