I Want To Be A Groomer!

Does anyone know of any grooming places in Sydney that need workers? Preferrably in the Inner West or City?

I know we've got a few groomers lurking around... Do you need to be qualified to open up a grooming business? (not that I want too...just curious).

If one works at a grooming place do they need any qualifications? Or just experience washings dogs?

I'm currently training to be a groomer through cengage education (not to be a professional groomer but because it costs anywhere between $50 to $150 for a professional to groom my dog and i want to do it myself - I'm going to train to be a animal behaviouralist and trainer too) - i wouldn't particulary recommend them because the course to me seems thrown together and so far (i'm on the first book) the assignments I've done have all been multiple choice questions, and the info hasn't been anything i couldn't find in the DOL forums! If you have some time to train, i would recommend tafe, where you can get hands on knowledge - i can't do this because i work full-time, but i've heard that they're the best (feel free to correct me if there's a better place!).

I don't think you need professional training to open a grooming salon. All the ones i've been to have had groomers with some form of qualification, or people training in them - I had a year 10 work experience girl bathing my dog the other day (she did a really good job too!) and all the people training so far have been very good without a theoretical education... hope this helps!

While I don't know how to clip, I've worked at a grooming salon doing washing/drying/brushing and nails etc. I haven't done a course, learnt on the job.

If you are also interested in animal attending and can handle large groups of dogs, I know of a place that is looking for staff.

Bella 'n' Fox in Crystal Street Petersham, although I think that branch has a different name - not sure. They have a salon just up the road from me in Normanhurst and are very good. I know some time ago, they were looking for more staff for their Petersham branch. Their Normanhurst phone number is 9980 8261.

go through the yellow pages and call all the salons that are local to you and tell them you are looking for work as a dog washer and hoping to learn on the job and become a dog groomer. alot of places have spaces available or seasonal work but dont advertise. :)