Puppy Jumping On People

Ralphy

Hi,

Our 14 week old Koolie puppy is very friendly and absolutely loves people and other animals. Only he gets very excited and loves jumping up on people and licking and play biting them. It's getting to be a bit of a problem as he's getting bigger and he tries to jump up on children and his little teeth are very sharp. How can we stop him from doing this?

When he's at home he's very obedient and listens to us. At home we stop him from jumping on us by telling him no and only giving him attention when he's on the ground which has worked really well, but as soon as we're around other people he gets too excited and ignores us. How can we get him to obey us when he gets this excited? He also doesn't come when he's called and other things he knows how to do.

Thanks!

Hi Ralphy!

The easiest thing to do is keep him on lead in situations you know he will jump. If he is on lead and you are controlling him he will not be able to jump on people - the less he practises it the better. Ask people to ignore him when he is jumping like you do. You can also teach him an alternative behaviour, for example to sit. Have him in a sit before the other person gets too close and as they approach keep him there by feeding him something really tasty. If he gets up, ask them to move back, get him sitting and try again. If they get to him and he is still sitting just get them to say a quick (2 or 3 second) hello / pat and walk away again. He will soon learn that sitting is so much more rewarding!

Same thing for not coming when he is called - keep him on lead. If he ignores you gently reel him in and give him a reward when he gets to you. Do not give him the opportunity to ignore you.

I would also be looking at your leadership. Good Luck.

Trish :confused:

I had a lot of problems with my puppy jumping and knocking my two year old over, I got some really good advice from DOL members, make her sit before patting her or giving her any positive attention. She no longer knocks people over, instead she sit and waits for attention. It took time and patiences but well worth it. You need to get everybody who comes into contact with your puppy not to pat her until she sit. Unfortunately my OH didn't do this and my dog sits for kids and females but not for males.........LOL

Congrats on your koolie puppy!! Hope you've joined the koolie forumhttp://koolie.net/exons/index.php?act=idx. I've got a koolie that is 5 mths old and I've had the same problem, well still have to some degree, she is much better than she was a couple of months ago but still inclined to jump first if I don't get a "sit" in first. Koolie's are such social dogs they love people, love kids.

As other posters have said you really have to work on getting them to do alternative behaviour. Asking them to sit before they get any attention and then giving them a reward for sitting. The trouble is getting everyone to ask the dog to sit! Some people just want to love the puppy putting all your hard work backwards.

At 14 wks it is still probably a little too early to expect pup to come every time when you call, particularly if you are outside his territory, although it should be happening when you're home. Having a good reward (food or toy) and using your voice for encouragement will help. You have to be more exciting/interesting than whatever the dog is doing at the time!