Coat Growth Spray

I don't know if there's a spray to make it grow but there are certain things you can put into their diet to help it look beautiful and lush. From your name I'm assuming you have a German Shepard? They're a double coated breed like a husky, so i put things like sardines, olive oil and whitebait into my dog's diet and his coat always looks healthy. If you want it to appear shiny then there are several shine sprays available but they only make it look shiny, not grow that way. I always find it's better to make a coat look good from the inside, rather than just putting a spray on it. If we've got something special on, i spray a conditioning spray on his coat and then brush brush brush, but this mostly only makes it easier for me to comb him out, it doesn't make the coat itself any better.

Hope this helps!

I don't know if there's a spray to make it grow but there are certain things you can put into their diet to help it look beautiful and lush. From your name I'm assuming you have a German Shepard? They're a double coated breed like a husky, so i put things like sardines, olive oil and whitebait into my dog's diet and his coat always looks healthy. If you want it to appear shiny then there are several shine sprays available but they only make it look shiny, not grow that way. I always find it's better to make a coat look good from the inside, rather than just putting a spray on it. If we've got something special on, i spray a conditioning spray on his coat and then brush brush brush, but this mostly only makes it easier for me to comb him out, it doesn't make the coat itself any better.

Hope this helps!

Hi Shell

Thanks for the reply - I do add suppliments to my sheps coats but its my Border collie i am wanting the spray for or similar - i want to have a coat that looks like how the american breeders have their coats - real thick and lush.

Hope this helps!

Hi Shell

Thanks for the reply - I do add suppliments to my sheps coats but its my Border collie i am wanting the spray for or similar - i want to have a coat that looks like how the american breeders have their coats - real thick and lush.

Have you tried some of those products like Thick & Thicker? Some of the grooming vans sell products like that, never used them myself as I have kelpies :o

There is no product that you can brush into your dog's coat every few days to make it grow thick and lush. There are certainly supplements that will help to improve the appearance and feel of the coat if the diet is inadequate, but unfortunately coat growth and thickness is governed by genetics. A lot of people in the US breed for coat (occasionally to the detriment of other more important things), so your best bet is to bring in an imported dog with a massive coat who's known to throw it although there are no guarantees that it would work with every bitch.

If you use Thick & Thicker your dog's coat will appear thicker as it's a very good product, but it won't make the coat grow quicker or more lush.

If by some chance you find some substance that actually does make hair grow quicker and denser please let me know, breeders have been searching for such a thing since dog shows were invented :o

Edited by Miranda

I had an enquiry from a customer with a similar question about increasing the amount of coat with Blue Ribbon Coat Enhancer.I emailed the manufacturer and got this answer-

Yes it would but it would take time! I would suggest that the dog would need to be on it at least 3 to 4 months - maximum benefits would come after a malt, getting rid of alot of the ' old coat ' it would need to be combined with a premium diet.

Where the photos you saw of showdogs or pets running the field.

Dogs prepared for the show ring all dolled up will always look different to when its in the paddocks running.They will have been bathed ,blow dryed & sprayed up.

Also agree with Miranda.Coat is all about genetics.They either have it or they dont but a good diet & good coat maintance will keep whats there looking great

I use Biolac coat improver on the Poms, and it works a miracle for my kids...

I tried it on one of the SHeppie girls who dropped coat for her season, and her coat came back twice as fast, and gorgeous..

Its not the same for every dog, but its been fab for my guys.