Immunity /vaccination

Ok..up until now, all our crew have been done as pups, and then annually .

We are isolated..so they don't regularly come in contact with other dogs, or where dogs have been.

The working dogs do... sporadically, when they are on other properties... a lot of dogs with which they mix have never had any vacc's, some only puppy ones :D

I am always careful when we have visitors..we usually don't allow dogs on the property..and if anyone has a suspicious-sounding sick dog at home...out comes the white king (shoe soles/car tyres, etc) !!

I am just after ideas...is it different for dogs which are regularly amongst numbers of other dogs, and which have exposure to different 'bugs' on footpaths, etc?

Or Not?

I would LOVE not having to vaccinate every year!

Thanks.

Edited by persephone

Guest Tess32

Well, it "is" different in a way, but not in a way that really matters. Dogs who frequent places where other dogs go usually end up with high titer results because newly vaccinated dogs shed low levels of the virus and so the immune system of healthy dogs throw out those handy little antibodies that are the first stage of preventing a virus :D

But either way, as Cavandra said, dogs who vaccinated once on an adult immune system are immune for life.

That doesn't mean it's impossible to catch parvo or distemper etc, some animals and people have a compromised immune system, some are non responders and their immune system cannot mount a response to that virus.

Annual vaccines are NO LONGER recommended by those that matter :p

Edited by Tess32

Dogs who frequent places where other dogs go usually end up with high titer results because newly vaccinated dogs shed low levels of the virus and so the immune system of healthy dogs throw out those handy little antibodies that are the first stage of preventing a virus

That's what I was wondering about :laugh:

Once a dog is jabbed as an adult it lasts for life, there has never been any need to do it annually.

Too true, i somewhat have beleif in that myself.

And they still live long happy lives, my old boy is 14 and hasnt been vaccinated since he was about 1 or 2. His still going strong.