Smallest In Litter?

chugo101

Our labrador certainly won't be the size of a coke can, but cute all the same! You must have felt really nervous handling such a tiny being! I would be petrified of hurting it or worse still, sitting on him by accident! :thumbsup:

Terrified indeed, my husband has bigger shoes than Timmy (he's 6'4 and 120kg), I'm small in stature but very clumsy. So he was doing the shuffle without lifting his feet, whilst I developed the grace of a ballerina (almost :laugh: .... ). When we first started to have him sleep with us I was constantly cecking his heartbeat (ok I still do occassionally) and I lost him under the covers once (he was lying on his side all flattened out like a cat!).

He seems enormous at 28cm long and 22cm high and 2.6kg .... until I took him to the dog park :laugh:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our first male Elkhound was half the size of his brother and smaller than his sisters. He was so small when he was born that the breeder wasn't sure he would live. When we saw him at 3 weeks, he was still definately the 'runt' but was healthy. He had a great temperment and was very loving. Once we picked him up at 8 weeks, we didn't see the breeder until he was 5 months old and by that time he was bigger than his brother. He still has a great temperment and is still very loving and loves his cuddles. He is healthy and sired his first litter last year.

Our labrador certainly won't be the size of a coke can, but cute all the same! You must have felt really nervous handling such a tiny being! I would be petrified of hurting it or worse still, sitting on him by accident! :thumbsup:

Terrified indeed, my husband has bigger shoes than Timmy (he's 6'4 and 120kg), I'm small in stature but very clumsy. So he was doing the shuffle without lifting his feet, whilst I developed the grace of a ballerina (almost :laugh: .... ). When we first started to have him sleep with us I was constantly cecking his heartbeat (ok I still do occassionally) and I lost him under the covers once (he was lying on his side all flattened out like a cat!).

He seems enormous at 28cm long and 22cm high and 2.6kg .... until I took him to the dog park :laugh:

I have a guinea pig thats nearly that size!!! :laugh:

I have a guinea pig thats nearly that size!!! :thumbsup:

Some British back packers said that to my hubby when he was walking him home one day "Nice guinea pig mate".

Hubby = "His name is Timmy and he's a miniature fox terrier thank you."

Hubby calls Timmy his "best mate" too, he's not a "pet".

I have a guinea pig thats nearly that size!!! :thumbsup:

Some British back packers said that to my hubby when he was walking him home one day "Nice guinea pig mate".

Hubby = "His name is Timmy and he's a miniature fox terrier thank you."

Hubby calls Timmy his "best mate" too, he's not a "pet".

Thats fantastic!!!

Oh, also, if anyone can advise of what paperwork I need to make sure the breeder supplies us with, that would be great too.

Does the vet actually give them a report of some description when they get the puppies checked?

Also registration papers?? Copies of the hip/elbow and eye results??

We want to go with a list to ensure we have copies of all the right things.

Thanks guys

my little girl ,leila,was the smallest pup in the litter of 15.she was very tiny,but has turned out to be the most robust of the lot !she is the same size as all the other girls but with the most amazing temp.

Can't help as I didn't buy from a reg'd breeder, I did however get vac papers and the change of microchip form and paperwork were posted out. We also got the vet report.

Does anyone with experience of reg'd breeders know the answer to this?

Oh, also, if anyone can advise of what paperwork I need to make sure the breeder supplies us with, that would be great too.

Does the vet actually give them a report of some description when they get the puppies checked?

Also registration papers?? Copies of the hip/elbow and eye results??

We want to go with a list to ensure we have copies of all the right things.

Thanks guys

Hi, I recently picked up 2 labrador puppies, one of which was the smallest in the litter. We chose him because he had the most beautiful personaility. I have had them a month now and the smallest has already caught up in size to the other pup. I would not worry about your pup being the smallest and I personally think the personality is more important.

With regard to paperwork. I would ask if not supplied copy of parents papers, and copy of certificates of elbow, hip scores and clear eye certificates.

You should have microchip transfer of ownership completed to transfer ownership to you when you pick up your puppy. Vaccination card (and worming dates). (I did not get a health report from vet) Your breeder should also give you details of the food the pups have been on (and if pup is not on a premium food I would recommend you slowly switch her on to one as the first 18months of growth are so important, especially with a large breed dog like a lab)

From my first 4 weeks of experience I would also highly recommend a crate and puppy play pen. It will give you a secure place for puppy to sleep and play when you can't be watching her (I need eyes in the back of my head to keep track of the toileting and chewing and the crate is a god send when I can't keep watch) (and is totally transportable when you go visiting/holidaying)

Good luck with your new baby and would love to see a photo. (unfortunatly I'm not clever enough to know how to attach one here)

Hi, I recently picked up 2 labrador puppies, one of which was the smallest in the litter. We chose him because he had the most beautiful personaility. I have had them a month now and the smallest has already caught up in size to the other pup. I would not worry about your pup being the smallest and I personally think the personality is more important.

With regard to paperwork. I would ask if not supplied copy of parents papers, and copy of certificates of elbow, hip scores and clear eye certificates.

You should have microchip transfer of ownership completed to transfer ownership to you when you pick up your puppy. Vaccination card (and worming dates). (I did not get a health report from vet) Your breeder should also give you details of the food the pups have been on (and if pup is not on a premium food I would recommend you slowly switch her on to one as the first 18months of growth are so important, especially with a large breed dog like a lab)

From my first 4 weeks of experience I would also highly recommend a crate and puppy play pen. It will give you a secure place for puppy to sleep and play when you can't be watching her (I need eyes in the back of my head to keep track of the toileting and chewing and the crate is a god send when I can't keep watch) (and is totally transportable when you go visiting/holidaying)

Good luck with your new baby and would love to see a photo. (unfortunatly I'm not clever enough to know how to attach one here)

Thanks for this, I've made a note of the paperwork I need to ensure I get.

The pups are being reared on a BARF diet at the mo and its whether we stick to this or try to swap onto a dry food. I've bought some of the Dr B's BARF frozen patties but really I was hoping to put her onto something like Eagle Pack Holistic for Large/Giant breed puppies or maybe a mix of the two.

What are you feeding? Any idea whether its best to gradually change diet or just do it straight away? I'm just worried about over/under feeding.

Plus in the morning when I go out to do school drop off & aerobics I'm out for 2 hours so thought maybe dry food in a treat ball would be a good way to give her, her first meal of the day to occupy her while I'm out?

We've got a puppy pen and I'm preparing myself for some hard work! :cheer:

In my experience, the runt has always been the smartest / nicest temperament.

You havnt met Bosco :cheer:

Bos was the smallest in his litter, and although he was touch and go initially, he grew up to be a healthy, lovely boy. :cheer:

I would be really interested to see his littermates now, because he is much bigger than I would have expected him to grow, especially considering the size he was when he was a pup.

Thanks for this, I've made a note of the paperwork I need to ensure I get.

The pups are being reared on a BARF diet at the mo and its whether we stick to this or try to swap onto a dry food. I've bought some of the Dr B's BARF frozen patties but really I was hoping to put her onto something like Eagle Pack Holistic for Large/Giant breed puppies or maybe a mix of the two.

What are you feeding? Any idea whether its best to gradually change diet or just do it straight away? I'm just worried about over/under feeding.

Plus in the morning when I go out to do school drop off & aerobics I'm out for 2 hours so thought maybe dry food in a treat ball would be a good way to give her, her first meal of the day to occupy her while I'm out?

We've got a puppy pen and I'm preparing myself for some hard work! :laugh:

The whole diet thing has me a little paranoid about what to feed as it is so important to get it right with large breeds and I have had it drummed in to me to grow them slowly! Don't over feed. The breeder had them on premium dry food. I introduced them to BARF over a week and I have had no problems with upset tummies and they have perfect poop! (always a good sign) BARF is excellent and I use it for their evening meal. I use premium dry food (Nutrience) for breakfast and your idea of treat balls to keep her occupied is excellent. Having 2 pups makes it hard to monitor if they are both getting their fair share and so I need to separate them at feed times and this also makes it easier to teach them to sit and wait before I give them permission to eat. (took 2 days to teach the sit and 2 weeks for the 'wait' until I say 'ok' for them to eat...impatient little possums) For lunch they get either chicken necks or wings. I did read Dr Billinghursts 'Grow your pups with bones' book and would highly recommend it and it is an easy read.

They keep me on my toes but I am enjoying every second. We're off to puppy school this weekend. :laugh:

The whole diet thing has me a little paranoid about what to feed as it is so important to get it right with large breeds and I have had it drummed in to me to grow them slowly! Don't over feed. The breeder had them on premium dry food. I introduced them to BARF over a week and I have had no problems with upset tummies and they have perfect poop! (always a good sign) BARF is excellent and I use it for their evening meal. I use premium dry food (Nutrience) for breakfast and your idea of treat balls to keep her occupied is excellent. Having 2 pups makes it hard to monitor if they are both getting their fair share and so I need to separate them at feed times and this also makes it easier to teach them to sit and wait before I give them permission to eat. (took 2 days to teach the sit and 2 weeks for the 'wait' until I say 'ok' for them to eat...impatient little possums) For lunch they get either chicken necks or wings. I did read Dr Billinghursts 'Grow your pups with bones' book and would highly recommend it and it is an easy read.

They keep me on my toes but I am enjoying every second. We're off to puppy school this weekend. :D

Its good that you seem to be on the same wave length as me! :) I'd planned to do the chicken wing for lunch too. My plan is dry food in the treat ball for breaky while I'm not around, chicken wing for lunch and BARF pattie for evening meal. That way I'm hoping she'll be getting the best of everything!

Good look with your two; your braver than me thats for sure!! I'm stressing enough about coping with one!! :laugh:

That sounds like our diet, pretty much BARF principle (Barf mix for breakie, chicken necks or wings for dinner), but lunch is a spoonful of premium kibble at the office and it keeps his entertained. He has this funny way of taking a few pieces out of his bowl at a time and playing with them prior to eating them. Very cute to watch!

The one thing I can't stress enough is to supervise the bone meals, we have had to fish out a chicken bone stuck between teeth a couple of times now!

That sounds like our diet, pretty much BARF principle (Barf mix for breakie, chicken necks or wings for dinner), but lunch is a spoonful of premium kibble at the office and it keeps his entertained. He has this funny way of taking a few pieces out of his bowl at a time and playing with them prior to eating them. Very cute to watch!

The one thing I can't stress enough is to supervise the bone meals, we have had to fish out a chicken bone stuck between teeth a couple of times now!

Thank for the warning about bones and will keep a close eye on them. I have been bashing the wings with a mallot at this stage to crush the bones until I am confident that they are chewing them properly and crate them while they eat them to ensure they do not attempt to bury or hide them.

Choking is my ultimate fear after Timmy almost choked at 9 weeks. He had a tissue that he was naughtily munching and tearing apart on our bed. It was about 6am and all of a sudden he wakes us up, clawing at his face, eyes bulging and not breathing. I have never been so scared in my life. We tipped him upside down and pulled his tonge and out popped a wad of tissue the size of a smartie.

I guess I am paranoid now, but we have trained Timmy to eat on an old bath sheet, so I can keep a close eye.

Hi, we selected our Labrador Puppy yesterday and she comes home in 10 days when she'll be 8 weeks old. My question is that she is the smallest puppy in a litter of 11 (well 12 but 1 was stillborn) so should I be worried? When we saw her at 3 weeks she seemed lots smaller than her litter mates but now she's 6+weeks she seems to have caught up a bit. She had the nicest temperement out of the females and the breeders really encouraged us to have her saying that her personality best suited our young family. I guess I'm just a bit concerned that being the smallest of the litter she may have future health problems.

Can anyone offer any words of advice/assurance regarding this.

Thanks

Oh, and all of the pups were vet checked last week and are all fine.

I also phoned my local vets to ask them and the receptionist said it should be fine too.

I wouldn't be concerned too much as long as the Vet has given a clear bill of health. Dante was the smallest in his litter.

This is Dante with his litter mates (Spotty dog):

31071-1181388180-2.jpg

He has been slow growing compared to his litter mates and is now only an inch or so behind them in height, he's actually looking somewhat better than some of his litter mates due to growing more slowly:

At nearly 14 months:

31071-1210396974-0.jpg

No health problems at this stage, he has some minor allergy issues, however that is a genetic issue not a being smallest issue.

Edited by sas

I know of a couple of instances (mainly in giant breeds but I'm sure it happens with others too) when the smallest puppy in the litter actually grew to be the largest mature dog! As others have said, as long as she is otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry too much :)

Yep, Dante's Father was like that and he's a very big dog...

jed9-5-04.jpg

Edited by sas