Macadamia Nuts

I had never heard anything about dogs not being able to eat macadamia nuts, and figured that perhaps I wasn't the only one so thought I'd make a thread about it.

A couple of weeks ago we'd left a bowl of nuts on the coffee table in the lounge room, and our dog decided that she wanted to eat some of them.

My son came out and told me that she'd eaten some and I thought it was cute, so told him that he could hand feed her some :laugh:

Well she loved the things!!! And the cashew nuts.

But then my husband got home and looked up the internet only to find that macadamia nuts are a BIG no no for dogs :D

Oh dear, thankfully she hadn't had too many, but I was watching her like a hawk all night just incase something happened to her.

I had honestly never heard that before and I believe that I am someone that is fairly knowledgeable about dogs and their health etc.

Anyway just thought I'd put it up here incase anyone else was planning on giving their dogs macadamias, it's a bit embarrasing to admit and might make me sound dumb for all I know but I'd rather someone else learn from my mistake.

A friend of mine had a macadamia farm and found out the hard way when her cattle dogs got stuck into the leftovers after harvesting !! Dogs were ok but were very sick for a while ! It was a bit touch and go with the old one :laugh:

There are quite a few things that are - things like avocados, broccoli (though small amounts are okay), cherries, coffee/tea (and other drinks with caffine), cooked bones, mushrooms, nutmeg, tobacco, onion, grapes, raisins and prunes.

I knew about a couple of these before and it wasn't until our vet gave us an information sheet with all the bad foods on them that we knew about things like broccoli!

My sister has a macca tree in her yard and when I told her that they were dangerous to dogs she laughed at me. Her stafford has been cracking them open and eating them since she was about a year old (she is 9 now) and has never had an issue.

Personally I would not risk it.

For almost a couple of decades our dogs had free access to an avocado grove and helped themselves to the fallen avocado fruit every day and if none was available, would pull the unripe fruit off the tree and crunch it up like a bone. The seed was never eaten - maybe that's where the problem lies? Just like some people, those dogs were avocado addicts!

They were always extremely healthy, had the most beautiful, lustrous coats and being showdogs we were often asked how those coats were attained... the fact was it was due to three secret coat conditioners - ad-lib avocados, fresh horse poo and occasional hoof trimmings..

Yum! :cheer:

The only negative effect was in trying to keep the weight off the fatties so based on that experience I really can't understand why it is said that avocados are bad for dogs. :thumbsup:

Guest The Warden

Our dogs eat plenty of nuts, they've never gotten sick. Our vet told us it's an individual dog thing and is not across all dogs.

Gizmo would eat at least 10 a day.

We're on a Macadamia nut farm. They have one tree which overhangs their area and drops nuts into it for them and when dehusking they spent a few hours up at the shed eating the bits that fall out of nuts that split.

No denying that some dogs have issues, but ours didn't so they'll keep getting them. They did fight over them for a while but now Gizmo has learnt that he can actually get off his arse and get his own.

There are quite a few things that are - things like avocados, broccoli (though small amounts are okay), cherries, coffee/tea (and other drinks with caffine), cooked bones, mushrooms, nutmeg, tobacco, onion, grapes, raisins and prunes.

I knew about a couple of these before and it wasn't until our vet gave us an information sheet with all the bad foods on them that we knew about things like broccoli!

I've got a large plum tree in the backyard.

Every year, it's a race between the dogs and the birds to see who can eat the most....

Any mushrooms that sprout after a bit of rain are also devoured in record time.

The house I am in now is the first one I have ever lived in that has not had a macadamia tree in the yard. All the dogs I grew up with and the ones I have had as an adult have cracked the fallen nuts with their teeth and eaten them and non has ever had a problem. As a kids we used sit on the concrete steps to the house and crack them with a hammer and have one for us and one for the dog.

We had an avocado farm when I was growing up, and our dog would eat his fill regularly - but he never ate the seed... good thing too, 'cos that's got some nasties that make dogs very sick - as most pitted fruit does...

T.

Broccoli????????? eeeek - Tango has a bit with his meal (about 1 floret a day...)

There is nothing wrong with broccoli for dogs - it may make them fart a bit (like cauiliflower) but as far as I know that is it. It was one of the vegetables recommended in our lads diet when he was going through chemo.

Broccoli????????? eeeek - Tango has a bit with his meal (about 1 floret a day...)

I'll second that eeek..

I am always feeding my guys broccoli if there is left overs :laugh:

My dog loves raw broccoli. He comes around to the kitchen real quick when he hears me cutting up broccoli. I always give him a few pieces.

Can anyone post a list of dangerous foods up please? I think Ive given some of the "dangerous foods" to my dog without knowing so would like to be aware of whats not good for them. Ive given my dog brocolii but thankfully she didnt like it.

Ham is another no no food Ive been made away of.