Puppy With Diarrhea

DLS

Our puppy is 101/2 weeks old and eats like a horse.

for the last 2 days she has had chronic diarrhea.

She is eating, playing, drinking looking well, no temperature, gums good, you wouldn't know anything was amiss except for her very loose bowel movements.

And there is alot of it too!

I have taken her off all food except boiled rice, cooked chicken and tinned tomatoes.

I have spoken to our vet and he says because she seems fine and is eating/drinking well just to keep an eye on her.

Can someone help me with any suggestions? TIA

I'd be losing the tomatoes. They aren't particularly good for dogs. :(

If it went beyond about 4 days, I'd be starting to think about a visit to the vet. As you say though, her demeanor is good and if she's eating and drinking well, that's the main thing for now.

I was a bit hesitant about the tomatoes too but it was recommended by the breeder who had it recommended by her vet and apparently it works.

If it's not working after 2 days I would quit the tomatoes. I've never heard of tomatoes being fed for this purpose. I don't feed them to my lot.

Maybe a visit to the vet is in order.

Any stomach noises, bloating? You could always skip a meal too and let her tummy have a rest or if you don't want to skip a meal really cut down on the size of the meal - tiny portion. As long as you have water available and pup is drinking is the main thing. I've never offered tomatoes to any dog except when they've eaten them off the bush! But definitely go to the vet if it keeps happening - no recent vaccinations or worming that may have triggered it? Watch that your pup is not eating something she shouldn't in your garden too - little buggers pick stuff up so quickly.

Thankyou all for your replies.

I think I'll skip on the tomatoes and try her with rice and chicken

Skipping a meal may be in order as well, she is fed 3 times a day and it won't hurt her to skip one...although she may think it will. :(

If it continues I will take her into the vet.

She is just really full of herself and looking just fine...very odd.

She could have eaten something in the garden as she is a pig and also chews on EVERYTHING.

Tomartoes !!never heard of that b 4!!try adding a desert spn of yogurt with(aphidoficus)to her food it helps bind them ;but if it continues a vet check is a good idear

Some dogs, like Gomez, don't tolerate the lactose in yogurt at all, so introduce that carefully...

Edited by Gomez the Norfolk

Tomartoes !!never heard of that b 4!!try adding a desert spn of yogurt with(aphidoficus)to her food it helps bind them ;but if it continues a vet check is a good idear

That would be tomatoes :hug: DLS: The yoghurt you want is live culture yoghurt with acidophilus Jalna makes a good one called Fat Free Natural but it won't help much for a dog with diarrhoea. It's a dairy product and if the dog is lactose intolerant then chances are it won't help at all.

I would suggest psyllium husks from the health food store. The added fibre might help.

If the chicken and rice doesn't do the trick I would take the dog to the vet tomorrow.

Goat milk yoghurt is very low lactose - I think the most popular one is called Attiki and has a pic of a goat head on it...

Are you giving your baby any liquid calcium supplement? That can make them squirty too. If you are, change to a powdered version instead, OK?

T.

Goat milk yoghurt is very low lactose - I think the most popular one is called Attiki and has a pic of a goat head on it...

Are you giving your baby any liquid calcium supplement? That can make them squirty too. If you are, change to a powdered version instead, OK?

T.

Or better still, cut it out all together. If the pup has a decent diet, it will do more harm than good.

we also dont use rice but pumpkin for the runs.

We use tablets to replace the gut lining(chemist )

Did you change the breeders diet??

Do you think the portions you are giving is too much??

Has the pup being getting left overs,treats??

My puppy had diarrhea at about 9 weeks of age and my vet suggested worming him again. I did this and it fixed the problem in 24hours.

Vet said most often it is caused by worms. Hope your puppy is ok. I would be interested to know what the problem was when your pup is better.

Hi,

we tried her on the bland diet of chicken and rice with a desert sppon of youghurt but it hasn't worked.

I took her to the vet and she is now on atibiotics, Peptosyl, Protexin and has been wormed.

It seems that the problem is locolised to her large bowel, hence the reason she is feeling well, eating well and drinking well.

Her 2nd vaccination is due tomorrow but that will not be done until 48hours after the runs have stopped.

Hopefully all of this will do the trick and she will be back to her normal pooing self soon.

Thankyou all for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. :rofl:

I have found loose, frequent motions in puppies are often the result of feeding too large a portion size as it puts the body into fast forward! Feeding too much is very easy to do if you have a gutsy pup who loves dinner!

If you find things don't improve rapidly with the meds I would fast her for one meal and then feed her half her normal portion the next meal. Split her daily allowance into more meals so you are feeding the same total amount but not so much at a time. Once she is settled again you can start increasing the size of each meal and cutting back on the frequency - watch her poos as a guide to the amount to feed, if they start getting soft again you know you've increased too much.

oh and some protexin for a few days after she has finished her antibiotics would be a good idea too. :rofl: