Kangroo Meat For Pet Consumption.

WhiteLight

I queried with my vet yesterday if Kangaroo meat would be ok for my dog.

She mentioned to give him Vitamin B as well. I asked the reason.

Was told the the preservative in the Pet's meat destroys this, therefore they need to have it included in their diet.

It is the same for all the pets minces.

This is the first time I heard about this.

Simple way around that, is to buy human consumption kangaroo meat.

It's very cheap and much better quality.

Please dont ask what goes into the pet mince, I'd rather not say... :laugh:

(My husband is a kangaroo butcher :D )

Gee Salli, I'd rather you did say.

I was always under the belief that roo would be a bit better than pet consumption beef, my theory being that at least it's wild, where as the pet food beef is usually from sick cows. I figured they were probably full of drugs & goodness know what before farmer Brown gave up & slaughtered them.

Please enlighten me.

Linda

We feed ours roo meat,amongst other things. Get it from pet food supplier in fillets and chop it ourselves,so are sure there is nothing else in it. The meat is beautiful and tender just about falls apart.Fed our dog with it for about 16yrs.

The cat eats it too :hug:

Edited by terry f

I work part time at a pet food shop & often have to slice the 'roo for customers. I was doing just that the other day & the meat was just as you describe it Terry, so tender I was tempted to take it home for me!!! That is until I saw a great big long worm EWWWWW! I dont know if it was alive, it wasn't IN the muscle meat, just laying on top, so maybe it came from the guts when they were removed. Does anyone know if worms could be spread like this, I'm inclined to think yes if it was fed raw but I would really like to know for sure.

Linda again

I tried Harvey on roo peices here and he just gags at the smell of it lol.

LOL, I gag at the smell of it!!

Plus I noticed it made Millie's poos almost black.

I now feed her chicken and sardines (the ones in spring water) with lots of vegies mixed in like mashed pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, broccoli - in fact, whatever I'm cooking I do enough vegies for her as well. She is prone to putting on weight.

Edited by Ripley

Gee Salli, I'd rather you did say.

:p Sorry, I forgot to answer that question.

Pet food quality roo meat can contain:

Filler

Meat off the floor ~ including whatver got stuck to the meat whilst it was on the floor...

Offal

Kangaroo worms ~ any wormy piece of meat is thrown in the pet food skip

The odd maggot :hug: (Different to kangaroo worms btw)

Occasional piece of shotgun shot pellet...

Plastic/Paper/Latex glove particles are often inadvertently included

Preservative - Sulpher Dioxide which is a highly potent and carcinogenic chemical that has to be handled with care..

:)

I only feed my dogs the human consumption meat, that has strict handling procedures, and who's manufacture is supervised by AQUIS. :mad

:hug: Salli..no professional kangaroo shooter is allowed to use a shotgun!!!!

In NSW at least, roos have to be head shot, kept in a carefully monitored field chiller, etc.before going to the processing plant.

Guess the end product differs from processor to processor.....

We have a great pet meat supplier that we use, and had been feeding a roo and chicken mix, but at the moment Roo is hard to get in S.A. and is almost as expensive as the beef..Ours eat a mix of 50% pet beef and 50% hormone free chicken mince, together with vegies, pasta and the odd thing that is left over in our kitchen. These days most good quality dry foods will provide all the vits and mins that a dog needs, although a couple of ours are a tad on the "hyper" side and they get sprinkle of FERAMO multi vitamin on their dinner...

Gee...when I look at it like this...Dogs here are eating better and healthier than human residents LOL

Thanks Salli, Yes I have found woms & shotgun pellets. The shotgun pellets weren't what killed the roo in this case, they were in the flesh, kind of sealed in little capsules, with no bruising around them so I assume they'd been there for a while & the wounds had healed. I can believe the rest you say. I at least get the whole roo so I know it's just that, but that is what I've found the above in. :hug: I wish I could just get good quality affordable meat for my girls free from drugs, chemicals, worms etc.

Linda

I get the tuna in oil, i feel weird buying 10 tins of home brand tuna, people must think thats all i eat :hug:

LOL, I do that weekly aswell, :)

Jonah our Dane has never liked roo meat, to me it seems quite rich,

I also add cooked liver and kidney to their meals a couple of times a week,

Even my cats come running when they smell the liver cooking,

Susan

Salli..no professional kangaroo shooter is allowed to use a shotgun!!!!

In NSW at least, roos have to be head shot, kept in a carefully monitored field chiller, etc.before going to the processing plant.

Guess the end product differs from processor to processor.....

Well I was just typing as my husband told me what he found in the kangaroos. :mad

The thing is, the shooters don't always get the kangaroos in the head apparently, and also some of the shots are from farmers shooting at the roo's before the professional roo shooters get to them. That's what he told me. :)

They're shot, put into refrigerated trucks and taken by semi-trailer to meat factories.

The majority of the roos at my husbands work in S.A come from NSW.

:mad

The worms found in kangaroos are harmless, apparently. Most of the shotgun pellets are caught in the mincing machine and get stuck in the blades, so you may only get a sliver of metal or the odd piece of pellet in the pet meat.

Fact is, the shooters sometimes miss the head and get the body first, mainly (i'm informed) the shotgun pellets are from farmers shooting at the roo's previously. :mad

My husband works in a kangaroo-meat processing factory, and has done everything from skinning, boning, slicing, meat packing, mincing and getting the roos of the trucks when they get to the factory, so I guess he knows his stuff. :hug:

Oh, I have no idea what type of gun is used to kill the kangaroos, as although he might be an expert of kangaroo butchery, he knows stuff-all about guns. :p

When I used the term shotgun, I merely meant whatver gun that shoots the roos. :mad:mad

Edited by Salli

I get the tuna in oil, i feel weird buying 10 tins of home brand tuna, people must think thats all i eat 

glad its not just me - my boy has tuna with breakfast!! - i always think people must think im weird buying 6 large tin of home brand tuna and lots of home brand sardines!! and not much else!! :hug:

I know our supplier gets 2nd grade carcasses from the abattoirs for pet meat......he eats the meat himself.! :eek:Have never experienced any worms or strange bits and pieces,but as I said I get fillets not minced.

Cant bring myself to eat roo though. Something to do with spending years working on the Skippy series me thinks. :hug::)

:mad

The only reason, I might add... that I don't feed my dogs or cats pet-grade roo mince, is because of the preservatives that are in it.

Not all companies use filler in their pet meat either, the place I get my human grade roo meat from recently stopped putting filler into their pet meat. :hug:

Particles of plastic in it would be no different to your average pet dog who lays on the back lawn/dirt/verandah and eats a crusty old bone that might have been in contact with any of the same material.

Quite harmless, I'd say. :mad

My dogs are sensitive to preservatives, and so I'd never give them meat containing sulpher dioxide.. nasty chemical. :)

The gross thing was, that people don't like the thought of eating meat off the floor.

Fact is, dogs don't care. :p It's not an issue for them, and its only human sensibilities that sway us in favour of feeding human-grade meat to our dogs.

If there was no preservative in pet-grade mince, I'd be saving my money and feeding that to my dogs instead. :mad