Rewarding When The Dog Is Fearful

Hi, how do you know when to reward a dog in a fearful situation? I don't want to reward my dog at the wrong time and confirm her fear. There are a few situations, but, for example when having a bath. I put her in the laundry tub and I know she's scared. I tried to distract her with high value treats and toys, but it hasn't worked. I've tried acting calm and acting excited, making it a game, but neither has worked. I've tried telling her off, but I think that doesn't work either.

I'm really at a loss as what to do. I know my dog is afraid of a lot of things and I've been trying to slowly build her confidence, but sometimes I feel as though I'm walking one step forward and three steps back!!

I hope I'm making sense!! Thanks in advance.

I have a fearful dog that also hates a bath. I just make it very matter of fact and I don't care if she is afraid, it just needs to be done (this is what I try to display), she is getting better all the time. It's the same with nail trimming.

Sometimes you just have to get the job done in a business like way, no nonsense. :D

I will never reward my dog when she acts fearful no matter what the circumstance. I just tell myself it is like me going to the dentist, I don't like it but I know it has to be done. Someone offering me smarties isn't going to make it better even though I love smarties. :D

this is my opinion only :laugh:

I am not happy unless a dog is relaxed and happy .

If they are trying something new... and look anxious.. we repeat and repeat , until their confidence comes up...when they are happy , I am happy :love:

No food bribes..no baby talk, just "suck it up, and DO it", basically.

We just do "whatever" as if it is a hum-drum thing...over and over...

They may get a 'good boy/girl' if they attempt to do what's asked , independent of me... but the full-on verbal/physical praise is left for the millisecond they are looking much more pleased with themsleves :D

Do you have to bath your dog in the tub? have you tried her in a human bath... or outdoors with a watering can...

May I suggest you place a folded towel on the bottom ..if you don't have a rubber mat already.if her footing is more secure, she may feel better.

Have evrything absolutely ready...water at right temp. everything.

because she is picking up your uncertainty.... be calm and sure....

Pick dog up..plonk her in tub. wet, wash, rinse, dry.

out of tub... dry again..run around... life as normal..no big deal ....

Oops..Pax..I didn't copy, honest..slow typer :D

Edited by persephone

Depends what is triggering the fear? When does your dog start to fear the bath? When you run the water, when you take her collar off? If you can figure out the very start of her fear behaviour you may be able to help her. Some dogs don't like being lifted into tubs if you bath her in the laundry or bath - because you lift them up and then push them away from your body so they are not comfortable with this. Certainly don't reward her if she is fearful only when she shows a positive attitude.

As Pax said sometimes you just have to keep going through it, don't pander to it, keep positive.

I have a fearful dog that also hates a bath. I just make it very matter of fact and I don't care if she is afraid, it just needs to be done (this is what I try to display), she is getting better all the time. It's the same with nail trimming.

Same here.

Is there something that your dog is actually afraid of? Or is it just the act of getting a bath? Is he afraid of water?

I wouldn't reward my dog for being afraid, but I will respect that some things are scary for him and then address how to overcome that so he becomes more comfortable before proceeding and risking making him more fearful. Once that's sorted then I can just get on with it and show him there's nothing else to be worried about and he gets it pretty quickly.

I realised that my dog was scared of the bathtub because the bottom was slippery and he doesn't like unstable ground below him. No amount of coaxing with a tennis ball or treats would get him in voluntarily and I had to chase him around the bathroom to be able to heave him into the tub. So he got a rubber mat in the bottom of the bath and learned that it wasn't so bad afterall, especially when he got a good massage and it was definitely worth the towel dry afterwards which he adores. He gets in all on his own now if the mat is pulled up to where he can touch it, which my back is very grateful for :D

So many good suggestions :D

Bath time can be unsettling for the most confident of dogs sometimes - I use a very calm "steady", calm behaviour is rewarded with a "good dog" and once he's had his mad run around the lounge room he gets a favourite food reward.

For the bathing process, apart from taking it slowly, can you teach an alternative behaviour such as "watch"? I find it invaluable for a highly distractable dog and perhaps it would help a fearful dog. It just gives the dog something to focus on rather than thinking about the dog that is going past or planning his escape route from the bath :D It also gives you the opportunity to reward appropriate behaviour!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

It's kinda out there and a little crackpotty, but perhaps the pushing exercise, which is part of so-called Natural Dog Training would help. I've heard it can be quite useful in a sort of holistic way. Here's a link to the general idea: http://www.naturaldogblog.com/blog/category/dog-training/, and there are links from that page to the pushing exercise and tug itself.

There are things you need to be careful about with the exercise, though. Specifically, make sure you do something with energy you build up in your dog, like let them release it with a good game of tug. That's kinda the point of it all. I know someone who tried this without doing that bit and ended up with wound up dogs that couldn't settle.

Thanks for all your replies. I do have a rubber mat at the bottom of the laundry tub. I guess I'll just have to keep going. I don't make a bit fuss. I get the bath stuff ready where she can't see me, then I go and just pick her up and do it. She does have sixth sense though and knows whenever I have a motive in mind as she cowers or runs and hides!!!

Thanks Corvus for your suggestion. I might have to do a bit more reading up about that method. It sounds interesting, but I'm wary of trying anything I haven't researched in full.