Training Two Dogs

Hi, I've just got a new four month old puppy who needs a lot of training, he hasn't had any basic training at all! I'm trying to use clicker training on him, but finding it very difficult due to him being distracted by my other dog!! If I put Pepper outside, the new puppy, Falcon, wants to go outside, and I can hear Pepper whinging, wanting to come inside. If I have them both inside and try to train Falcon, Pepper wants the treats too, especially when she hears the clicker. I've tried to get my hubby to train one of them, whilst I train the other one, but they are still both very distracted, wanting to go where the other dog is.

How do you train two dogs, especially when they are at different levels? As it is only the third week we have had Falcon, do I just let them get used to each other before trying to train him?!?

Thanks in advance.

i went thru this with my 2. I put one outside preferably where they cant see in or the pup see them and just work it.

You also should start to seperate them at other times of the day so pup doesnt get too reliant on the older dog. just start with a play session - this is special one on one time for pup so make a big fuss of them - dont worry about working too much to start with until they are concentrating on you and ignoring the other dog

:D

I either have one outside, one inside when I train, or the ones I am not training crated. Or I train when I walk them separately. Sometimes the ones not being trained whinge because they want in on the action, but I don't have a problem keeping the attention of the one I am training, it is too much fun :D

Have you tried taking the pup somewhere different, or on a walk to train? Then maybe he will forget about the other dog.

I've been training a foster dog (or at least trying to) and find it's easiest to just have my dog outside, even if he sooks about it. I made the mistake of trying to have him in his crate last night and he was very verbal about being about to hear the clicker, but not getting anything for it.

Edited by jaybeece

How do you train two dogs, especially when they are at different levels? As it is only the third week we have had Falcon, do I just let them get used to each other before trying to train him?!?

Crates are a god send :(

whichever dog i'm not training is in their crate waiting their turn :cool:. They never know how many times I'll pull them out to do stuff, or how long the training session will be. Usually the dog in the crate whinges coz they want part of the fun, but if you ignore it, it tends to go away. Doesn't distract the dog you are working with as they want to work for you (that's what I've found).... but if it is distracting them - just work on really simple stuff :laugh:

I train mine out the front of my house. The dogs that aren't being trained are behind a farm gate, so can see what is going on. I don't have any issues. Well it is fun getting the right dog out! And my old girl barks if I use a toy. But the training isn't a problem. I have more problems with the bloody cat coming and joining in!!

Just do what ever suits you and the doggies will get used to it.

Work a bit harder to keep focus on you. Working under these distractions everyday does produce good focus! I have cats jumping on the dogs doing stays even!

With the level we are at now I seperate them, except when I am trying to work them at the same time. (Think both on a stay, recalling only onel - we are getting there slowly......)

When I first got CK, Xena was already at a really good level of obedience (general, not trial) and if we were working she would not run off to play. (food motivated!! :clap: ) That way I could train the two of them side by side and CK could learn from what Xena did (sits, drops etc). I also taught CK his stays largely with him tethered to Xena (on their split lead we walk on) for the same reason.

I would always finish CK's session on his own to reinforce what we had learned though.

It is really important to seperate them as well, not just for training, but also for general 'livability'. On the other hand it is a great motivator for one to be crated watching while the other works - we 'fixed' my girl's frisbee problems by doing this - it makes them ultra keen.

That said we 'banned' Xena from obedience when OH and I tried to take one dog each. Xena would actually escape during an on lead class and come and find me! :clap: Now we can work them both in the same class, even walking them by one another without a problem. It has taken a bit of work to get them to work independently of each other, but it is well worth the effort.

Thanks everyone for your replies. At the moment I have only one crate and it's mainly Pepper's bed. She gets a bit cranky when I put Falcon in it.

I had forgotten about how important it is to work and spend time with each of them separately. I'll definitely do this. Last night hubby took Pepper for a walk whilst I worked on Falcon. He seemed fine and focused and responded well to the clicker training. On the other hand, hubby told me that Pepper pulled to get back home. Hmm . . . will have to keep working on both of them.

Thanks again for all your replies!!! :(