Jedda

jedda

Hi Jedda, i agree with staffyluv, get rid of the Hills diet.

I would look into products from k9 immunity.

My beautiful 8 yo boxer died from mediastinal lymphoma in december, he was gone 3 weeks after diagnosis. But in that 3 weeks i spent hours and hours on the internet researching canine cancer, and

nutrition plays a vital role in helping fight cancer.

I e-mailed the suppliers of k9 immunity explaining what type of cancer my dog had and they were fantastic with their information and support.

Good luck, i hope Jedda has many more years being happy :thumbsup:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do believe with such serious and unpredictable disease as this, that a supportive vet is vital. Of course you do want some guidance for when is the time to let go, but you also want someone on your side if you want to fight this thing - and if you feel that Jedda is well and happy then you still have options. You know your dog...

I find Staffyluv and Ollie's story very inspirational. It is not negative, and Staffyluv always looks at the positives. Many people would throw up their hands at cancer and such a diagnosis and time frame... and it just goes to show what the right attitude, perserverance and a bit of loyalty can do. I find this attitude has helped us greatly with Chloe's Cushings battle... and we stopped looking at the statistics and odds and started just concentrating on Chloe's journey, her triumphs and getting her through her bad days.

This is why I feel a very supportive vet, and a positive attitude while there are still options is necessary to help you get Jedda through, and will investigate thoroughly.

You certainly do have the right attitude and determination, so I'm positive that Jedda has the best help in fighting this cancer. I wish her all the best and hope she continues to enjoy life for as long as possible.

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Loraine, I have heard great things about RMs stuff - I have personally never used it because we have our own holistic vet who deals with Ollie.

The vets at All Natural Vet Care in Sydney, if you are interested Jedda - we live in Canberra and they have treated Ollie wholly on the test results from our conventional vet and phone interviews with me to ask how Ollie is and what he is doing etc...

I also agree with KL, the power of positive thinking is amazing - every time things got a bit tough I would jump on here and pour my heart out... I got lots of good advice and heaps of positive vibes for Ollie - it works, believe in it and it will work for you too...

If Jedda is enjoying life, that is the main thing - enjoy it with her...

I still highly recommend getting rid of all commercial foods - they are all much to high in carbs for a cancer diet.

Have fun at the park and I look forward to the pics

Loraine, I have heard great things about RMs stuff - I have personally never used it because we have our own holistic vet who deals with Ollie.

I found them great, they spoke to me on the phone when necessary, kept up with emails, meds were mailed promptly. I really cannot speak too highly of them, even though by boy only had a very itchy skin problem. Finalyy diagnosed as a thyroid problem.

Hi, First time we went to park the camera didn't work, so we had a play then came home for a rest. Went again after lunch and didn't get too much from the second camera, lucky there was a guy there trialling his new camera so he took a few shots for me.

I've got to say i'm feeling a bit fragile at the moment because i've just found Jedda brekkie barfed up under the bed. The vet had said at one time that roo meat was great, so thought i'd give it a try for the first time today, perhaps it was too strong for her.

She has been very tired since coming back from the park. I gave her and the others a bath and i noticed 2-3 lumps on her back that are quite large. I'm feeling sick at the moment.

I did email Robert and i've just spoken to my supplier of supplements to get more.

But for the first time i see in her eyes... a loss. I don't know how to explain it.

I'm so worried for her. My wanting for her to stay well is clearly not as strong as anything else.

I'm hitting the wall emotionally, can't stop crying, just driving in the car burst out crying, watching telly burst out crying, talking to someone burst out crying.

I would gladly give anything of myself for her.

I'm just sad. I didn't want to feel those lumps.

Here are some photos of this morning.

100_6235.jpg

100_6242.jpg

100_6245.jpg

100_6248.jpg

100_6260.jpg

l.jpg

x.jpg

100_6230.jpg

Thanks, Carolyn and Jedda

Carolyn don't be too upset. She may just be feeling unwell - hence the sickness you see in her eyes. I remember when Chloe was really sick, and I saw the 'absence' in her eyes and thought the worst - however after her meds were corrected she was bouncing around and the shine was back there. She may also be a bit buggered after a big day.

I know it's not the same thing, as Jedda's disease is much worse - however try not to get down. She may just be having an off day or reacting to the meat change.

She is still with you, and able and willing to go for plays at the park. Our little ones are never with us for as long as we'd like - so we just have to appreciate every good day we have with them.

I hope she comes good, and I hope you feel better soon. :thumbsup:

I agree, she may just be feeling unwell...

Roo will be much too strong for a dog that has not had it before - gradually add a bit (couple of tablespoons at a time) to her usual meal or with some chicken and veg.

Jedda looks happy enough in her pics, she is just beautiful - she reminds me of our first stafford, Louis, he was a the same colour...

Hang in there... the day she does not want to eat, go to the park or play, then reassess it all because for now, she looks great (all things considered)...

Ollie has bad days every now and then and we also went through a couple of bad patches when I thought I was being selfish keeping him alive - seeing him now, I am so glad I perservered with his treatment... he still has a bad day every now and then but it is only once every few months now...

I know I am harping but the diet change will make a massive difference to her and how she feels...

Thanks guys, i've calmed down a bit. There are actually a couple of things going on personally and its all hitting me

at the moment.

Jed along with Spinxy and Kelly have had a big sleep this afternoon. They've just had dinner.

Jedda didn't want her cottage cheese but thats ok, atleast she ate her other dinner.

Will get onto buying vegies tomorrow.

Thankyou for the support i don't have anyone here who i can talk to about it.

So its a big comfort.

Cheers, Carolyn and Jedda

I use whatever veges he will eat at the time - his taste seems to change but good staples are sweet potato or pumpkin with zucchini, some spinach and carrot (he loves carrot to eat whole)... I steam them and then process them in the food processor. Sometimes I take out the spinach and add in something different (broccoli, green beans, peas, cauliflower - but cauli can make them fart lots) but on the whole it would be 80% pumpkin and zucchini and only 20% other veg...

He is a bit stuck on pumpkin and zucchini at the moment and has been for a while - I add yoghurt or cottage cheese to it to change it up a bit too... Just a teaspoon in with dinner...

He likes fruit too and I do give him a bit of my apple sometimes and he loves watermelon. We never see any strawberries off our bushes because he gets them before us...

I have never used beans in the can - staffords fart enough and I think this might give them even more wind...

I also don't use normal potato or onion (all the veg not suitable for pups)...

Thanks, i raced off to the organic man this morning but he is no longer there. Woolies now has some organic vegies.

I got capsicum, pumpkin, brussell sprouts, carrots and brocolli. All things they have eaten before.

You just steam vegies and put with meat cold?

Do you ever put in a bit of that liquid stock?

Cheers for now, Carolyn and Jedda

you do not need to add a lot of veggies but i have found that altho i usually feed raw when ill the fur kids seem to like a change and i steam them and warm their meats etc as well... really does seem to help.

Luincda did well with MCT grade 3 for many years after diagnosis ( from 15 Aug 2002 until 28 feb 2009).. and we did have a few really down times when i thouight i might have been selfish but she would bounce back and she did enjoy life to the full. When it really was time... the knowing was different.. all questioning of myself just seemed to disappear and it will be the same for you. in the meantime just enjoy each moment of life as it comes..

cheers

helen

Thanks, i raced off to the organic man this morning but he is no longer there. Woolies now has some organic vegies.

I got capsicum, pumpkin, brussell sprouts, carrots and brocolli. All things they have eaten before.

You just steam vegies and put with meat cold?

Do you ever put in a bit of that liquid stock?

Cheers for now, Carolyn and Jedda

Cancer dogs do better with cooked meat - just from personal experience... I cook the meat and then just add it with veges - I mix them together otherwise he will eat all the meat and leave the veg...

No liquid - just steam them, mash em and mix it with meat.

hi, i've been patting Jeds bum and its bony. We went to the park today and although slower than usual she had a good time, she took after spinxy and the ball when i threw it in the water. Coming back to shore they would both tug of war with it, i took a video today and i had to break the longest tussle up at 3mins and 20 secs. Thats a long time to hang on. She was determined.

Although she was ok down there and she rests as much as the others at home she has lost the spark in her eyes, she doesn't wag her tail as much. In fact i looked hard for it today.

And while she's having quiet moments she looks at me.

Is this the look? I'm thinking it might be.

She looks like she's still a big girl but she has bum bones, a skinny neck and her head is smaller. She still has a big tummy though.

I even purchased new supplements today, sent today being paid for next week.

But i just don't know.

I feel like i am hanging on....I don't want to hurt her.

thanks carolyn and jedda

If you have to question if it is the look, then it probably is not...

One day (probably for a week), she won't eat, she won't want to play, she won't want to go to the park, she probably won't look at you - you will know when the time has come (from what you have said here, it is most definitely not that time yet).

If she is still having fun (3 minutes of tug-o-war is huge for an old sick dog) then she is doing well...

I know it is hard (and easy for me to say it) but you have to stop looking for the 'look'... Just enjoy the time you have and you might be surprised and it could last another couple of years.

I used to do the same thing, especially when he was having chemo - it is so hard some days. My vet said he would tell me if I could not see it - one day Ollie was so sick and I asked him if it was time and he said - 'God no, nowhere near it - we can get over this hurdle'... Find a vet you are comfortable with, it is vitally important that you have a professional on your side (sorry but it seems as though yours has given up). Our vet treats what is going on at the time and although we know the cancer is there (he has tumours all over him and in his neck and his tummy) we concentrate on what is happening on the day...

One day at a time - just enjoy her, cuddle her, let her sleep on the bed or the lounge, give her an extra treat - that is what she wants too - she is picking up on your state of mind and she is worried for you...

Give her a big hug from Ollie and I - you have one too...

Thankyou, we have just woken up. Last night was hard, i couldn't sleep although i was really tired i was listening to her sleep, she licks her chops a lot so i get up and get her a bowl of water, she wakes up and drinks it all. Sometime in the early morning kelly wanted to go for a wee so i got up to go out, Jed came out and had a wee then came and lie on the concrete. Now it was freezing last night (partly why i couldn't sleep) but she wanted to stay there, she didn't attempt to get up and was like a rock when i thought she might be pliable to pick up. After all it was cold out there. No she was staying and i guessed there ws a reason. so let her stay got a doona cover and tried to have a rest on the chair near here. Then about 20-30mins later an idiot let off a firecracker, she moved inside. I put her on the bed. I got extra sheets and thngs to put on the bed and from then on was ok.

During the night i had a chat with her and i thought that was it i was going to see if the vet was working sunday and do it. I don't want her worn out and hanging on for me. A kind of resigned peace came over me for the decision. I mostly stopped being upset.

This morning when everyone woke up she turned looked at me and wagged her tail.

Hasn't wagged it since but its early.

Her legs are a bit doddery getting off the bed but she wanted to do it. Sometimes if she needs help she waits for me to help.

I'll see how she goes eating today.

Some parts of her are scrawny to me as i know she was quite a robust thing what seems a long time ago now.

I wish i could get some weight onto her. I look at her and i get upset and sad. Then i wonder if i'm doing the right thing.

Will have a rest day and try and sit in the sun.

425july0920.jpg

Thanks Carolyn and Jedda

I rang the vet this morning to see when she was. You know what for. I am so worried for her.

She's not in til tuesday.

We went to the park and she was happy to go but not very sparky. she didn't really play but kept moving with us around the park til we got to the beachy part. After awhile she went and sat on a grassy bit. I took a photo. Sat down with her and patted her head, after a while i realised she had been sick, lasts nights dinner. Probably my fault as i put some stock in, may have been too much for her tummy. She did spark up a little but she is a different girl.

I had email Robert McDowell and got an email back from a George offering to sell us Cancer Mast cell Support and Maritime Pine Bark - Super oxident.

I really need to see her put weight back on. Thats a big point for me.

I just did a stupid thing i saw her go past the window and thought i'd run out for a cuddle, picked her up and she wasn't comfortable. I'm sure she didn't want me to pick her up. I might have hurt her but i don't know.

I know you guys don't have absolute answers, just your experience.

Its heartwrenching.

5july0937.jpg

5july0938.jpg

5july0939.jpg

5july0946.jpg

5july0957.jpg

Thanks, Carolyn and Jedda

Ollie does not like to be picked up anymore - his tummy is sore and I assume it is because he has tumours in there somewhere...

I wish I had the answers for you but you know her better than we do...

Just looking at her, I don't think she looks too thin - I can see some loss of muscle tone, especially in her head (just like Ollie, his head is nowhere near as beefy as it used to be)...

Ollie does the sick thing - that is why I keep his meals a lean as possible and with as little additives to upset his tummy. he only eats red meat twice a week, the other days are all chicken and turkey. He gets fresh BBQ chicken with some of his mashed veg on shopping day. His tummy just can't take anything 'strong' anymore... He drinks lots of water too and does the licking of his lips (vet thought it was nausea and he takes maxalon for it)...

Do you give Jedda an antihistamine tablet daily? MCT release histamine and it can be very uncomfortable for the dogs when it happens, so Ollie has 1x 2mg polaramine tablet every day to stop this from happening and it works for us... We get a script for the maxalon from the vet but get it from the chemist as it is cheaper. His polarmine can be bought over the counter.

Ollie also likes to lay on the concrete in the cold - I think it helps his tummy... But he always comes in when he is ready...

Love the updated pics of Jedda, she is beautiful...

Thankyou for the support.

This morning I had Jedda put to sleep here at home.

I just can't believe the differnce a week makes. I couldn't possibly allow her to go on the way she was.

She has been through so much. Way too much for one little being.

It was extremely hard but the knowing she would no longer be suffering eased the pain, just a little.

She passed with great dignity.

She was my very best friend for 10 years.

I'm not a people person i live for my animals.

Jedda was at the top of my totem pole so to speak. I was always being told she's spoilt but to me it was just pure love.

I will for sure cry myself to sleep but i know in my heart i did the right thing.

I will forever love my little girl. God bless her sweet heart.

RIP Jedda :love: