Not Eating

Guest mymal

hi all iv never posted here befor so please forgive my spelling and what to some may seem like a silly question :)

on fri night my 16 month old resuce mally boy did not eat tea i didnt realie think a lot of it he is no longer under waight but it is now monday and his still not eating

i have taken him to the vet and was told not to worry he will eat when he is ready.

how long should i wate befor i do worry

he still seems happy

he is drinking water

but no poo's just smelly wind :hug:

thanks

have you tried changing the food you offer him

my mal is a very fussey eater also - we tried getting him to eat dry food and he wouldn;t touch it at all. It took some time to fnd things he would eat and some things he would originally like and then refuse

How long has it been since he did a poo? Did you mention the smelly wind to your vet? When did he go to the vet?

I agree that dogs will not let themselves starve but if he has wind this might be a problem?

I dont really know, but I wanted to tell you that we all worry! I would be worried too. Maybe give your vet another call, it may put your mind at ease

hi again i went to the vet this morning befor i was on here and yes told her about the smelly wind she but it down to raw meet but i am taking him to another vet this arvo as i tryed some chicken today and he just beried it :hug: we depoop the yard every arvo and its been 2 days the vet said this also is normal if he has had a food change wich the only change was going from puppy food to adult food (same brand) dry , but his wet food is the same mince (chicken or roo) veg and rice

thank you for your help

and yes im a worryer his been through so much in his short life at 16 months im his 5th owner so i realie want to do the best thing for him

MAybe you should try to offer his puppy food again if he takes it - change his diet slowly - most dogs will get upset tummys if u change their diet overnight - so for a week or so (once hes eating normally again) change slowly - by mixing a little of both together start with more puppy food and gradually reduce and visaversa with the adult food

hope hes ok - maybe hes just picked up a bug and will be ok in a couple of days - my boy sometimes doesnt eat his meals?!

another thought - does he have access to food all the time? not good as it creats fussy eaters but sometimes when theyre not too well they can then eat a little when they feel like it

:pant:

I had a similar problem with my two sibes when I gave them some red meat. They wouldn't eat very much, if anything, and also had really bad wind. They were however drinking and weeing, and when they finally did manage to have a poo, it was very runny.

I too was exceedingly stressed, even though my dog weren't, and as long as he is drinking, I would try and wait it out.

I can't remember how long my two were like this, but I think it was about 24-48 hours.

Hope your boy is feeling better soon.

thanks so much for all of your help :D my vet told me allmost the same things

and yes he did eat his tea of a small amount of puppy food :o i feel so silly i didnt even think of that :whip: once again thank you for your helpfull advice

and no nothing to chew on :o

hi mossy :D yup happy and very playfull exept he was attact by a jack russel on monday night :whip: his ok but hubby came out with some nasty bites. iv figgerd he hates the adult dry food he is back on puppy with a little adult mixt in and poos have returned to normal

if he actually doesnt like the adult food maybe try a different one - which one are u using? most pups will prefer puppy food i think it has a lot more protein in - just be careful u dont feed to much puppy food for too long as this can cause to much weight gain and growing to fast

i currently feed my 6 month old 1.75 cups of pedigree advance big pup growth and 0.25 cup of adnvance puppy rehydrate (my breeder says it keeps the coast nice and glossy but just a little!) i also try to feed fresh - he loves and i mean loves chicken necks they go down whole and about a cup full of blended vegies

he doesnt like the vegies much but i think he gets quite a lot of nutrient from them!! so mix them in and he cant avoid -- oh arent i mean!!! :whip:

ive also found hes allergic to red meat so just keep an eye on skin for spots etc when changing adding things to diets

but when changing his diet just do it slowly over a couple of weeks or something! (they will east anything if theyre hungary enough!)

Edited by Akitaowner

I feed my mallies Chicken frames, dry food, raw bones from the butcher and table scraps (never cooked bones)...never had a single problem from either of them not eating though...

...HOWEVER, my youngest cat stopped eating last saturday and I've only managed to get a teaspoon of food into her since then and she's gotten VERY VERY VERY thin and sickly looking - she'll be being taken to the vet if she doesn't start eating soon (I'm waiting until I have the chance to go shopping cause I brought a different dry food and I thought she may not like this new dry food - am gonna see if she starts eatting again when I buy the proper stuff - if she doesn't then it's vet visit time!)

hi found the prob so much for the first vet he had a chicken bone (raw) stuck in a tooth (ouch) its out now and he is eating every thing in site (hummm everything ) mmm all hubby can say is its my fault for teaching him to chew his food not swallow it hole lol