Fruit For Dogs?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

banana (but only after a few spit outs and try it agains!).

:rolleyes: Yep my Mr Bomalina does exactly the same thing. It's like i have to remind him that yes he does like it :laugh:

He lurves banana's though. havent really tried him on much other fruit although i know he likes apricots but only because he ate them off our tree out the back.

Warley i would be interested to know what benefits they get from bananas aswell. The potassium thing has me thinking :laugh:

:rolleyes: Yep my Mr Bomalina does exactly the same thing. It's like i have to remind him that yes he does like it :laugh:

It's funny isn't it!? Banana goes a bit yucky too after a few rounds of that :laugh: Thank goodness for hard flooring, that's all I can say...

Some of my dogs like fruit and some of them aren't really interested. I don't deliberately feed them fruit, but sometimes I'll give them a small piece of what I'm eating, half a mandarin segment each or something like that. As someone else has mentioned too much fruit=runny poo and that definitely applies to kiwi fruit :rolleyes:

Actually I doubt that dogs have the capacity to break down the cellulose so probably get little benefit from the fibre although anything in the juice is probably absorbed.

I dunno :laugh:

:laugh: Yep my Mr Bomalina does exactly the same thing. It's like i have to remind him that yes he does like it :o

It's funny isn't it!? Banana goes a bit yucky too after a few rounds of that :D Thank goodness for hard flooring, that's all I can say...

Yep bless the floorboards :D

Bananas are a source of potassium. (and for dogs), and can be fed to counteract the loss of potassium which some drugs (ie, diuretics) cause instead of a sodium potassium supplement. Bananas are a complex carbohydrate are are digested less slowly, thus less likely to convert to fat, and contain important enzymes. They also contain fructoolgosaccharides (as do a lot of foods) which some varieties of intestinal bacteria utilize instead of glucose.

Do you feed your dogs fruit? my goldie yes but my poodle wont!

If so, which fruit? mainly bananas, he's obsessed and doesnt get an upset tummy either. he also loves oranges

What do they love? strawberries are a big hit

What is their favourite? bananas definately bananas

What is really good for them? no idea but its fun to watch him eat it! ;)

Do you feed your dogs fruit? Yes, if I am eating it.

If so, which fruit? bananas, apple, watermelon, pears, used to be grapes but discovered they were a no no.

What do they love? Raspa will eat any fruit that I am eating, but if I am not eating it then she is not interested

What is their favourite? She doesn't have a favourite it is whatever my favourite is at the moment.

What is really good for them? Don't know but the drool tells me that she wants to eat it :laugh:

They get my apple, pear cores and love them

Zephyr loves fruit and will steal it from the fruit bowl if he can reach it, Jewel only eats it because I am

In summer I have given them a whole watermelon, they make a huge mess with it but love rolling it all over the yard and trying to get it open, takes them ages and keeps them busy for a few hours

My dogs get fruit as part of their barf diet. I buy whatever is not too expensive at the time. definitely no grapes as they are toxic to dogs, but pretty much everything else.

Their favourite fruit?

They would kill for mango but they have to get it off me first, and that is not likely to happen lol

I was watching a show on foxtel the other night *dogs with jobs*. They had a gorgeous shep that does mine clearing. The cutest part was when the handler was sitting down with it sharing a mango :confused: The dog was going NUTS for it! I dont eat them, so poor willow misses out. She loves strawberries, and thats about it.

I can't recall having given any of my dogs i have owned 'fruit' ..

A few of the Cav owners in the Cavalier breed thread were saying how they give theirs some banana, so i tried a small bit with my two just before :confused:

Joey turned his nose up at it, but Renae loved it !! Might give her a small amount every so often :laugh:

My Girls eat what every fruit I am eating, but if its apple Geisha will try and take it from me, I used to feed them the apple core till I found out the seeds contain cyanide, so they share the flesh with me and the core goes into the bin

Orbit's likes to play with mandarin. Won't eat it, but will play bow to it, do zoomies around it and then roll all over it.

But he is very strange....

:rolleyes: :laugh:

That is very funny ! :cool:

Perhaps it's some new cult of fruit worship he's into?! Hail the mighty mandarin :shhh:

My two both LOVE fruit. Any kind, any time. They usually get it during summer because one of our favourite 'dinners' during summer is a big fruit platter.

Kiwi fruit, banana, any melon, any berry...

They obviously don't get grapes etc, and I don't give them much - more of a taste, not a meal.

Although, I remember mum once sneaking quite a bit to them before I realised and oh my lord, I made her clean up after them for the next 2 days!!!! She now understands why I say enough after a little bit.