Omg Desexing Is So Expensive!

lovemesideways

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For memory, Turtle was around $250? But that was for a hernia on his belly aswell - can't remember what the straight cost was for desex.

Gee, that sounds pretty reasonable newnewf. My Chi girl's desex was about $250 from memory. Perhaps there is a "search fee" for such littlies! Must be damn fiddly :D

Unfortunately she developed a small hernia AFTER the surgery, where the mid-line incision was done :hug: Different vets all think it's just a "fatty" hernia, but doesn't seem quite right to me.

Cheers, Helen

Hunta got a lump afterwards as she was not as quiet as she needed to be.

Could that be what it is?

They vet took a sample adn it was just fluid.

Within a week it had gone down.

BUT considering we pay $145.00 just to walk into the clinic here, its not that bad a cost...

:hug: Ouch

For memory, Turtle was around $250? But that was for a hernia on his belly aswell - can't remember what the straight cost was for desex.

Gee, that sounds pretty reasonable newnewf. My Chi girl's desex was about $250 from memory. Perhaps there is a "search fee" for such littlies! Must be damn fiddly :hug:

Unfortunately she developed a small hernia AFTER the surgery, where the mid-line incision was done :hug: Different vets all think it's just a "fatty" hernia, but doesn't seem quite right to me.

Not sure why she got it - she was kept very quiet and didn't lick her wound or pull her stiches :D

She was desexed 18 months ago and it hasn't "gone away" unfortunately. I keep an eye on it and have had 2 vet opinions saying not to worry...

Gee, that sounds pretty reasonable newnewf. My Chi girl's desex was about $250 from memory. Perhaps there is a "search fee" for such littlies! Must be damn fiddly :D

Cheers, Helen

LOL @ search fee

Give it a rest Nekhbet. People complain because your probably overpriced why wouldnt they complain.

Yes ofcourse there are expenses involved everyones heard all that before but alot of vets are a rip off its as simple as that people have every right to scoff at the prices. How about if you dont like it ask them to leave and go somewere else I bet you dont do that.

Give it a rest Nekhbet. People complain because your probably overpriced why wouldnt they complain.

I think you're right, Cal. My dog is older plus he was a milk truck about to hit a brick wall because I have a bitch in season. The $235 included antibiotics and pain killers. I didnt actually think it was expensive but I certainly wont be going to Nekhbet's clinic if they charge that much for an adult dog.

Unfortunately she developed a small hernia AFTER the surgery, where the mid-line incision was done :) Different vets all think it's just a "fatty" hernia, but doesn't seem quite right to me.

Not sure why she got it - she was kept very quiet and didn't lick her wound or pull her stiches :cool:

She was desexed 18 months ago and it hasn't "gone away" unfortunately. I keep an eye on it and have had 2 vet opinions saying not to worry...

Oh. Not the same then. I thought maybe it was a recent desexing.

Poor little thing.

Gizmo was $240 or something.

Axle was closer to $1000. Initially it was a touch over $400 as he was also desexed like a girl :cool: Then he had complications.

If I ever get a dog from a breeder again then I will not be having it desexed. I won't go through the dramas I went through with Axle again. However, if I fostered a rescue dog then I would desex it before rehoming it, go figure?

I had a client quoted $470 for a male castration- adult dog. They had just had a baby and decided against the desexing for that reason alone- till i pointed them in the direction of a clinic in the same area who would charge $170 for the same thing. Both newer clinics with an excellent staff and equipment. It pays to shop around within reason, provided you're not compromising your pets health and well being. I wouldn't consider going elsewhere for the sake of $50 or so- but for $300 i would.

Do many people realise that most vet clinics subsidise the cost of desexing animals out of their own pocket to encourage clients to do it? That a female spay, being an abdominal surgery, at rates of $150 and such is rediculously cheap? If you had to have a normal abdominal surgery on your animal expect it to be 2-4 times the price for the same thing if not heinously more for a large dog.

I'm sick of people questioning our pricing at the clinic and scoffing at how expensive things are - hey if speying a dog was so easy why would a surgeon need to go to uni for 5 years to know how to do it? You're paying for a surgeon, for the use of the clinic, the time of the other staff required, the medications, the equiptment, disposables etc. We charge between $209-$244 for juveniles.

If you want an older dog speyed its $440-$550. Bloods, surgical fluids, full hospitalisation etc are a non negotiable so its an incentive to do it earlier.

I think my boss would like to talk to your boss Nekhbet! :D He's always talking about the real cost of a spey being at least the $400 mark, I must tell him someone is actually charging the right price- he'll be happy to hear that! :cool:

I realise its major surgery but I sure as hell wouldnt be paying $440-$550 for a desexing

As much as I agree with desexing not at those prices.

Prices like this explain why so many people wont desex there dogs

My little boy was just done over the weekend and it cost me $220, including removal of two baby teeth. It's gone up in a year I think as it was only $185 last year!!

Kyzer was done at 6 months, the neuter was $150, he had a retained baby tooth, so I asked them to remove it while he was under, it was just hanging on, I figured they may as well do it to save waiting for it to fall out.

When I picked him up the bill was $205, they had charged me $55 to just yank his tooth out, he was already under for the desex, I thought it was a bit rough.

Teach me for not asking prices before I agree to things :roll:

Although I thought the $150 desex was an okay price, it included the pain relief needle.

My little boy was just done over the weekend and it cost me $220, including removal of two baby teeth. It's gone up in a year I think as it was only $185 last year!!

Kyzer was done at 6 months, the neuter was $150, he had a retained baby tooth, so I asked them to remove it while he was under, it was just hanging on, I figured they may as well do it to save waiting for it to fall out.

When I picked him up the bill was $205, they had charged me $55 to just yank his tooth out, he was already under for the desex, I thought it was a bit rough.

Teach me for not asking prices before I agree to things :roll:

Although I thought the $150 desex was an okay price, it included the pain relief needle.

well my vet in seymour charges about 150 for desexing i think thats girls, boys are a bit cheaper.

the vet in melbourne ( in a well to do suburb ) was going to charge over 250 for evrything. needless to say boyfriend got boy dog done at my vet in seymour.

He does all my dogs - hes very good i think he charges less cause in the country far less people wopuld get it done if he chraged what the melb vets do, but he also himself made comment about not overcgharging like some vats can. hes very down to earth.

when same pup developed a mystrey limp, melb vet said its and ocd, he needs xrays asap we will book you in on thuurdsay - min 400 bucks for xrays, and if it is ocd (or displaysia) will have to operate.

i wasnt happy with this, so took pup to my vet in the country, he said, well dog is to young to know for sure any way (was under 18 months old) he hasnt stopped growing yet, and if i xray now there is very little chance of being able to see anything properly as hes not done maturing anyway.

so dog went on course of joint lubricant injections at a cost of 12 dollars each once a fortnight no consult charge for subsequent injections - and 6months later, he is fine, absolutely no problems.

if i hadnt stepped in oh would have been up for some very hefty xray bills :thumbsup: im scared to think what they would have said about surgery!!

i think my vet is very honest and doesnt try to rip you off.

im not impressed with the melb vet everytime the dog goes there, they go the whole hog ( and im usually not there cause im at work) and charge for anything i can think of.

A grass seed cost 250 bucks to remove from ear, ( because they had to sed him to do it) at my vet if the dog needs a sed to do it its only 80 bucks.

Edited by radish

"you get what you pay for

Have you ever been invited to view the facilities of your chosen vet hospital. Next time ask to see where the paitents are kept, where the surgery takes place, where they recover etc. You may be shocked at the general facilities and level of cleanliness of some hospitals. If your vet is reluctant to show you the facilites, you must ask yourself why.

I've been out the back of my vet clinic, several times, both during business & after hours. The place is excellent! The costs, affordable!

Had numerous dogs desexed here, the pre & post op care has been outstanding.

You get what you pay for eh? For the prices some vets quote, I'd expect them to roll out the red carpet.

"you get what you pay for

Have you ever been invited to view the facilities of your chosen vet hospital. Next time ask to see where the paitents are kept, where the surgery takes place, where they recover etc. You may be shocked at the general facilities and level of cleanliness of some hospitals. If your vet is reluctant to show you the facilites, you must ask yourself why.

I've been out the back of my vet clinic, several times, both during business & after hours. The place is excellent! The costs, affordable!

Had numerous dogs desexed here, the pre & post op care has been outstanding.

You get what you pay for eh? For the prices some vets quote, I'd expect them to roll out the red carpet.

Well thats great that your vet's facilties are excellent and that they manage to offer good service at reasonable prices, but my point was that some practices facilities are not great, and in general you get what you pay for. Of course there are exceptions to the rule.

Edited by duckle

Older bitches are that price. Males are always $143 and young bitches are between $209-$242. Hey I dont make the pricing. And hey I quit this position anyway so I wont be having to talk anyone into it. In fact I did direct people to good clinics who did they speys within their price range ... beleive it or not I dont tell people if you dont like it leave, I care more that they get the surgery done on their bitch then convincing them to fork out $450+ here.

I agree on both halves - yes there is a limit to how cheap you make things and how much vets should subsidise, but at the same time when my boss was going to charge me nearly full price for my own bitch ... suffice to say she remains entire :laugh:

We have only one person who has desexed a female dog at that price and for that one I did agree on the price because of what the dog actaully ended up needing.