Omg Desexing Is So Expensive!

lovemesideways

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My female was two hundred and something... there was some other charges so I can't remember the exact cost, she was about 12 kg when we desexed her. I could have got it done cheaper if I had driven about an hour to another vet but paid extra (although I thought it was still reasonable) to go to my preferred vet (we took our cats there, sister takes her dogs there etc.)

I've never had to get a male dog desexed, but my various females have cost anywhere from $250 to $350 - depending on weight, which dictates how much anaesthetic the vet needs to use for the surgery...

Torn toenail removal on my old 45kg Rottie boy used to cost me $325 a pop... and the clumsy bugger used to do it reasonably often... grrr!

T.

My little Yorkie had a retained Testicle and he weights 1.5kilos and cost me $245 to be desexed. You could feel the testie so it wasn't as throe they had to search for it, even the vet said it was easy to find.

Extra $35 for pain relief

Sadly, our vet has a monopoly,

We had the cat desexed a number of years ago for $130, she was a kitten at the time. Can't remember what the dog cost us but not an exorbitant amount prior to the competition leaving town.

Recent desex of 10 kg bitch, plus stripping of one mammary and removal of a lypoma, $807, not very happy at all.

Regards,

From my days as a vet nurse, it is normal for vets to charge more for dogs than cats, more for girls than boys and also more depending on the size of the dog. I also know the price will range from about $200-$400. Wow some of you guys are getting a really good deal.

Don't you envy the people with small male kittens, On the flip side feel real sorry for anyone getting a 2year old Dane bitch spayed :laugh:

Diesel cost $238.00 and he was 22.8kilos. When I asked for a quote the vet nurse did ask for his weight. She explained that was to work out how much anaesthetic he would require as it affects the price. It also covered the collar, a visit when he had problems after the desexing and the appointment for stitches to be removed.

The cheapest we have had was $110 in Beenleigh, Qld, and $350 in Cairns lol, we pay for all our pups that are rehomed, its quite an eye opener when the new owners ring us and tell which vet they are using and we ask the vet the cost........

We've just had a boy done and he was $209 + $30 for his kennel cough vaccine (apparently he hadn't had it previously).

Our girls were about $800 IIRC. They were meant to be done on the same day, but leia was sick before her op and they didn't want an opened wound and germs, so she had to be put off till the next Friday. That was desexing, microchipping, blood tests (they had been sick and the vet said they should be done before going ahead). Sally had some extra special thing to help her wake up from the anaesthetic better. Leia didn't and she was better after the op than Sally.

When ringing for prices to get the 7mnth old boy desexed, I had prices from $149 - $250+ and they were from vets within a 10km radius of us. Crazy.

I paid $300 roughly, but that was for male desex (2.5kg MF), antibiotics (preventative) and the heartworm injection.

She advised against pain relief as the aneasthetic wearing off covers that, and aside from being wonky he was comfortable.

My boys balls were so tiny though he only got one stitch! :rolleyes:

$253 to desex my adult Tibbie girl yesterday. I didn't go price-shopping.....tempting tho' it would be....because I wanted a vet that I knew, from the past, would be good at surgery.

That's not saying a vet who'd be willing to do it cheaper would be less competent.

It's just that peace of mind counted. Given that the last adult Tibbie I had desexed, suffered a massive allergic reaction to internal sutures when desexed. And the treating vet was dismissive of her pain & the swelling on her wound. I then had to find another vet who diagnosed & treated her.

Given that my present Tibbie is her grand-daughter, I was cautious in picking the vet who'd desex her.

And it paid off....this vet said she'd check her ears, too, while under the anaesthetic (because there appeared to be yeast).

She discovered that it had caused the ear-drum to disintegrate in one ear.....so flushed it out & recommended ongoing treatment.

The price of desexing is nothing compared to the cost of C-sections, vaccinations and micro-chipping if you have an "ooops" pregnancy :eek: I was sitting in the vet one day and a couple came in asking how much it would cost to get their pups vaccinated and were most surprised when the vet quoted a number of $50 each - the girl said "but we have 10 puppies don't you do a deal with that many" :rolleyes: They also wanted to get their male dog de-sexed.

I paid about $300 dollars at my vet - but that included an optional blood test and baby teeth removal. Think it was about $150 for male dogs. Boy am I glad I got the blood test tho - it showed up abnormal liver enzyme levels :laugh: MY vet does seem to be a little more expensive than some - but I like my vet :laugh: