Omg Desexing Is So Expensive!

lovemesideways

Pig who eas a boy cost nearly $ 400 as he had to be desexed lke a girl.

Out of curiosity, how does a dog get desexed like a bitch?

Yes, that is what happened to Micha. He had a retained testicle in his abdomen. He had to have two incisions - one to get rid of the outer testicle and the other to get rid of the retained testicle.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For memory, Turtle was around $250? But that was for a hernia on his belly aswell - can't remember what the straight cost was for desex.

Gee, that sounds pretty reasonable newnewf. My Chi girl's desex was about $250 from memory. Perhaps there is a "search fee" for such littlies! Must be damn fiddly :rolleyes:

Unfortunately she developed a small hernia AFTER the surgery, where the mid-line incision was done :laugh: Different vets all think it's just a "fatty" hernia, but doesn't seem quite right to me.

Cheers, Helen

Yes, that is what happened to Micha. He had a retained testicle in his abdomen. He had to have two incisions - one to get rid of the outer testicle and the other to get rid of the retained testicle.

Poor Ziggy had to have two desexing ops. :rolleyes: He had one retained one with was removed at the beginning of his racing career, and then later when the racing gig didn't work out for him he had the "normal" one removed. Poor baby!

Got pom male done, cost me $110, included everything.

Had c section done last sunday and it cost $617, for after hour emergency.

My previous vet charges 250+ for desexing a male dog

and my litter before this one, the c section cost almost $1,500, PLUS they killed 2 pups.

I feel justified not only because my new bets know more about dogs, they charge way less as well! less than half price!

I would be ringing around and maybe contacting some shelters to see if they do it cheaper. Last time I had a dog desexed was a female BC in season, cost about $160 I think. I know it was less than $200.

Got pom male done, cost me $110, included everything.

Had c section done last sunday and it cost $617, for after hour emergency.

My previous vet charges 250+ for desexing a male dog

and my litter before this one, the c section cost almost $1,500, PLUS they killed 2 pups.

I feel justified not only because my new bets know more about dogs, they charge way less as well! less than half price!

Wow thats a good price for an after hours c section, i pay around $1200 for an elective, but my dogs are just a bit bigger than yours :laugh:

I do get breeders rates for vaccinations and anything i have done which is great and if my vets dont know something they will research and research for me :o

our local vet only charges $150. some of the prices are crazy! is it ok if i ask why females dogs cost more than males to desex? ;)

In males it is a simple surgery. In females it is major abdominal surgery.

I called my vet yesterday to ask what the price would be to have Missy spayed before she goes to a pet home. They said that because she is 5 years old, 22 kgs & a bitch, it would cost between $500-600 ;) When we had my big male desexed at two years old, he weighed 27kgs & it only cost $200 for his neuter.

Pups' shots, I get the breeder rate so $60 for the first pup & $35 each pup after that. All microchips are $20 with breeder rate, $35 for a dog or bitch. The microchips used to be the same cost as for the adults but alot of breeders were either doing their own microchips at home or getting the cheaper tattoo's done (we have a choice for our reg'd pups here), so the main vet lowered the price.

Retained Testicle maybe Raz ????? :laugh:

That's the only reason I could imagine it would have to be desexed "Like a girl" ;)

Chriptorchid desexing is very expensive and takes longer than usual thats why it costs more but it is best to be done as a retained testicle can become cancerous :D