Toilet Training.

kaaia

What about a puppy pen - with a crate in it and the paper at another end. With a pen she has some freedom and a place to play and not be a worry to you. Another alternative that might work is if you have a spare bit of carpet or can buy a small piece - you can usually buy some cheap small rugs/mats - use this where you want her to pee. This seems to be her preferred surface so it might help with the spare carpet or even the paper to touch it to where she has peed to put the smell on it (before you clean it up that is). Then put the carpet square on top of the paper. Take her to it when you want her to toilet. The problem is you can't clean it at first so it might smell! But hopefully it might only be a couple of days before she gets the message. You could with time reduce the size of the rug by cutting it down so she has to walk on the paper to get to the rug and maybe she'll get the idea that the paper is the right place with continued effort and praise. Generally dogs are not considered toilet trained until they go 4 weeks without an accident. Good luck!

What about a puppy pen - with a crate in it and the paper at another end. With a pen she has some freedom and a place to play and not be a worry to you. Another alternative that might work is if you have a spare bit of carpet or can buy a small piece - you can usually buy some cheap small rugs/mats - use this where you want her to pee. This seems to be her preferred surface so it might help with the spare carpet or even the paper to touch it to where she has peed to put the smell on it (before you clean it up that is). Then put the carpet square on top of the paper. Take her to it when you want her to toilet. The problem is you can't clean it at first so it might smell! But hopefully it might only be a couple of days before she gets the message. You could with time reduce the size of the rug by cutting it down so she has to walk on the paper to get to the rug and maybe she'll get the idea that the paper is the right place with continued effort and praise. Generally dogs are not considered toilet trained until they go 4 weeks without an accident. Good luck!

As they say ... pictures speak a thousand words .. here was our set up at one end of the kitchen for the first few weeks.

Now Noodle is still tethered on a long lead (I can see her at all times but puppies lack control and like to 'explore') in the kitchen area when inside with us although more and more each week she is now 'off' and she knows she needs to stay in the kitchen area rather large area) or in the lounge on the rug ... not allowed on the parquetry or into the bedrooms (too much risk ... lovely dolly and beanie bears to chew and bioicles and Lego ..LOL expensive visit to the bedrooms if she gets in there and I end up at the vet with her). Again, she goes for lots of walks, lots of time outside with us and on her own, lots of toys rotated etc. Did the puppy school thing, training at home and now at obedience although having her speyed just over a week ago has put a spanner in the works ... can't wait to get back but will have to wait until the stitches come out (12-14 days) end of this week and then to be safe will wait one more week before taking her back.

post-16051-1213094202_thumb.jpg

They go on the carpet in preference to other surfaces because it is absorbent and the pee doesn't splash up their legs or pool around their feet. Horses actually do the same thing, find the most absorbent surface to pee.

Don't they just!?! A good thing too, with the torrents they produce sometimes....

Don't they just!?! A good thing too, with the torrents they produce sometimes....

It's more than sometimes!! Do you know how much they drink?!?

has anyone tried those "hygenic panties" for girl dogs? think they would work as a preventative measure? might be worth a try...

Edited by kaaia

It's more than sometimes!! Do you know how much they drink?!?

Yes, I used to have horses. Any animal that gets their water in an old bathtub drinks heaps!!

has anyone tried those "hygenic panties" for girl dogs? think they would work as a preventative measure? might be worth a try...
I guess they're another thing that could be used to encourage a dog to hold on until you take them to the toilet area. If you were to use them, you'd need to act in all other regards as if you were using a crate and provide frequent, time-limited opportunities to go to the toilet that were generously rewarded.

If you were to use them, you'd need to act in all other regards as if you were using a crate and provide frequent, time-limited opportunities to go to the toilet that were generously rewarded.

yes, yes, of course. I do that already, she just waits till we come out to use the carpet. lol

But yesterday she only had one accident on the carpet.. and twice, she deliberately got up by herself, and ran to the bathroom paper, once to pee, once to poop. But again, I dont want to get my hopes up yet! Still taking her all the time just in case. And she now knows what "go toilet" means.. so there's a start. although she doesnt poop on command yet..

I may not need those panties after all, since she went by herself yesterday, and having them on would prevent her from doing that.

Thanks

I've been reading this thread and wondering what happened to the good old fashion method of paper training that my family has been using for generations with all their puppies. :D In someways it would be similar to the crating method.

Put the puppy in a small room overnight every night, such as a bathroom or laundry, (and yes the do cry the first night, maybe a bit the second but the soon get use to it, might even help with the separation anx) and completely cover the floor with paper. After a few nights of this take away one section of paper each night. Within a week there should be only be one section of paper left on the floor, and this is what the dog uses. Use this section until puppy is old enough to understand that they don't toilet in their "living space" and start to ask to go outside.

During the day it is necessary to supervise and read the pup, and to section off most of the house until the pup understands that they are to go to a certain spot.

The only other thing you will need is patience.... :thumbsup:

PS: Don't leave any newspapers laying about on the floor... :)

Yes, that was what I used with my dog when I was much younger.

It's fine if the pup is a newbie - then you can be pretty sure that the pup will form a surface preference for the paper in those first few nights. However, if the surface preference is already formed for floor then you can't count on the pup using the paper in preference for the other surface. So not so good for fixing a problem.

I guess more of us to have moved away from the idea of isolating the pup at night too. I certainly don't recommend it.

Hi, i have been reading with interest, the fact that your pup is doing it on the carpet leads me to believe the vinegar??? spray isn't getting rid of the smell she is searching for a spot to do it on your carpet it sounds like. first thing i would do if i was you is go to a vet and get a spray that removes the smell of urine, then as many have said, do not let her on your carpet limit where she can go.....

she is 17 weeks old, so that is a 4 mth old puppy, she is still very young, it is going to take a long time for her to know what you expect of her. Give her a chance.

paper training: we have successfully trained all our dogs to paper in the house, as we work f.t and my b.f is a shift worker so when im not there he is type of thing. so it is imperative that my dogs use their paper lined in a litter tray. (small dogs)

i don't know what breed your puppy is? 2nd thing is what someone said, treat her like a 8 wk old puppy which means start again. i would get a puppy pen line it ALL with papers for a start, that way when she wants to go she will be going on paper then gradually over a few weeks move the paper to one corner if she accidentally poos or pees on a section not papered, start again until she gets it.

i have got a 2 yr old rescue dog that was mistreated like your girl. i got him at 8 months old and he was not toilet trained in the house. I trained him to cat litter would you believe. Now a kelpie x GSP shouldn't go in the house on papers thats for the little dogs. lol but he now knows that he is not to go inside and he can be trusted inside. it took a few months to acheive the training.

sometimes it helps to get the wet paper she has just done it on and put it where you want her to go, like she is doing with the carpet, lol unfortunately.....some people buy puppy pads but i find that getting wet paper or the smell of (i know yuck but it does work) of poo on the papers helps to get her to do it in the right spot.

my dogs also when we are at home go out often, after a sleep, straight after a meal and play. usually after a meal they will want to pee and poo. so its all about watching the signs when she wants to go, sniffing the floor or fidgety. then taking her straight out.

crating dogs of a night or when you want them to hold it and go where you want them to go, teaches them lots i always recommend crating puppies becasue they will not want to mess their beds. if you do this sooner or later she will want to pee and you can put her in the pen lined with papers.

we have 2 males, the small dog is trained to paper, we just peg up peices to the pen and line a kitty tray and he goes in there. he won't go anywhere else so of a night i just empty out, wash the floor to get rid of any smells and dirt with BLEACH i find that is the only thing that will get rid of any smell.

ofcourse you can't use bleach on carpet, you'd stuff your carpet. if she'd done it on the floor well then you could. there are products out there that do remove the urine smell. otherwise if you don't from your carpet you won't be able to train her out of it.

so first things first start from scratch again

hope this helps.

I've been reading this thread and wondering what happened to the good old fashion method of paper training that my family has been using for generations with all their puppies. :mad In someways it would be similar to the crating method.

Put the puppy in a small room overnight every night, such as a bathroom or laundry, (and yes the do cry the first night, maybe a bit the second but the soon get use to it, might even help with the separation anx) and completely cover the floor with paper. After a few nights of this take away one section of paper each night. Within a week there should be only be one section of paper left on the floor, and this is what the dog uses. Use this section until puppy is old enough to understand that they don't toilet in their "living space" and start to ask to go outside.

During the day it is necessary to supervise and read the pup, and to section off most of the house until the pup understands that they are to go to a certain spot.

The only other thing you will need is patience.... :)

PS: Don't leave any newspapers laying about on the floor... :love:

Agree 100% !! ithis is how we have trained our dogs too for years!! ts like as though i wrote that post myself :wink:

yes, yes, of course. I do that already, she just waits till we come out to use the carpet. lol

be aware that she will wait to try and go on the carpet, there is a habit forming with her it seems, one of our dogs use to do that too, you'd let them all out to the toilet outside and she'd always hold herself and wait until she got in and then do it inside :) so your puppy will try that you just have to be patient and at all times with dogs BE CONSISTENT.