Greenies

katetk

Hi All

Just having a look into Greenies am thinking of getting some for Harvey, i have had a look at a few sites to try and see what is in them and have also searched on here, but all i can find is that they are "all natural human grade ingredients".

How have people found them? I am wanting to try them for Harveys teeth as i had a look at them and they have a little build up of tarter - not much but enough to annoy me, he gets bones and is fed raw etc, just looking into them.. any thoughts?

Edited by katetk

Thanks L.B. It would be great to know whats in them as i try to steer away from things that have wheat in them or anything that may have some effect on his skin etc and am also getting a little cautious with bones as harvey thew up after having one and there were little bits of bone in it, probably a little paranoid :) i know but just looking at some alternatives.

Guest scouser

the ingredient list is:

processede wheat glute, glycerin, natural flavour,powdered cellulose, monosodium phosphate, monoglycerides of edible fatty acids, magnesium stearate, and chlorophyll.

Perry s sitting here chewing one right now with every sign of enjoyment and she has spotless white teeth which I greatly envy

It is strange Godzy is allergic to wheat yet this product does not affect him.

The poohs are hard to find in the grass though. :) :rolleyes:

Gave him a bone yesterday that I thought he could not crush no way I had to remove it as he was crushing it and he is a Maltese/Shit/Westie cross.

It was like a giant shank with the hip socket on both sides the collies next door cannot crush them.

Harvey isn't allergic (dont think he is) to wheat i have just read it brings out allergies so i have always steered clear of it because of him being a westie, just paranoid, i think i may give them a go, have also heard about the poos LOL. I am a bit like that L.B. as soon as i hear the bone crushing i take it off him after having to reef a few out of his throat before, i'm getting better though but he still never has a bone alone or out in the yard.

I was thinking about brushing them, i do have a spare toothbrush, should i just do this with water or get that doggie toothpaste stuff. I mean the build up is not much but it annoys me.

Yeah i have seen the tooth stuff for dogs. I think i might just see how he goes with the brushing before i go out and buy some toothpaste etc, will probably end up getting some greenies when next at the shop , he more than likely wont like them, he doesn't really like any chew things like that but shall see how he goes if they are as tasty as they claim to be then he might.

Edited by katetk

Good idea my sister spent $15 on chicken flavoured toothpaste and cannot get to open the dogs mouth.

My vet has trouble looking in Godzy's mouth and Little Lillie all 2kgs of her I cannot keep her still enought to clean her teeth.

Katek,

At the vets I go to you can buy 1 greenie to try if you cannot pm or email me and I will post you a petite one

Thanks L.B. for the offer but the pet supply shop down the road sells them Individually (my house looks like his shop. LOL). I drop in this afternoon.

So your Godzy has allergies/sensitive skin and he was fine with the greenies and you give him the petite sized ones (am assuming he is around the same size as harvey)?? I know i will end up watching him eat the thing just incase :)

Beware Greenies!! I gave 1 to my Collie for cleaning her teeth. within 24 hrs she had the biggest gut ache ever.gurgling stomach, not wanting to eat etc.

Immmediate Vet attention;( pain killers, anit nausea drugs )

Vet said that Greenies are very high in Protein so dogs that cannot tolerate high protein diets SHOULD NOT have Greenies.Pity the Company did not sate Very High in Protein :)

Hi,

My dogs love greenies, my staffy has bad allergies and has had no adverse reactions having 1 every second day.

Yes they are very high in protein so you should chose the size relative to your dogs, the weight range is on the packet.

As they are high in protein they are considered to be a meal, my guys have them for brekky.

At work we have a large booklet of questions and answers, if anyone wants to know anything I'm happy to look it up and reply for you.

Mel. :)

Well i got a large greenie.. it did say that harvey (going on his weight) would only need a petite but then looking at the large it says that they are better for dogs that "gulp" he burried it in the couch first then the cat found it so then he wanted it.. ate it all except the top tooth brush looking bit.

Just thought i would give them a go, being high in protein though he may only get one every now and again and just be less paranoid about him and bones!

He ate all his breakfast this morning and didn't have any tummy probs last night but will definately remember that inpector rex..

Edited by katetk

Inspector Rex,

thank you for that info. Mine have it as breakfast and I am glad they are high in protein as Godzy cannot eat most meats and lives on a mainly vegetable diet so any protein he can eat is good news.

His delicate stomach was not upset either so I am lucky in that area.

Our Lucy loves greenies! A vet we used to go to, and liked a lot, recommended them.

Lucy is a mini poodle x and she gets the regular size, about one a week, as part of a mix of things for her teeth (bones, chicken necks).

I'm a bit paranoid about leaving her with bones unattended (heard some horror stories), but am happy to leave her with a greenie sometimes when we go out.

Funny story though: when we first gave her one, I don't think she realised it was edible. She'd throw it around like her toys and cart it with her to her bed. Finally, after a couple of days of that, my partner got down on hands and knees and put it in her mouth and made chewing noises - it was like the lightbulb flashed above Lucy's head ("oh... you can eat those? wow...").

No such problems now when we give her one!

Harvey was doing the same thing with it at first - just was not interested in it at all until the cat went and carried it away from the couch he burried it in. The i got it for him and gave it to him, he just licked it at first then realised he could eat it.