Bjelkier

Spitz Breeds

62,657 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is right thread to post this, but thought i'll give it a go.

Short introduction:

My puppy Pagan is a six month old finnish lapphund who seems to be really itchy. She scratches her face and neck frequently. She has been itchy since we got her in November.

She is fed on a diet of chicken necks, raw food and blackhawk lamb and rice. I've tried taking her off blackhawk for a week, but she is still itchy. Any advice? Is it the raw food? I'm thinking of switching her kibble to Free Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch (based on the forums)/royal canin/ or candinae.

And i will attach pictures of her when i get home. :o

thanks everyone.

I do apologise that you are still having this issue. What raw foods are you giving Pagan? I know that we recommended the Black Hawk to you but I think that we were feeding the pupy chicken and rice. Lamb is too harsh on little bodies and can increase body temp.

We are now feeding Proplan and i would suggest that you try the Sensitive skin variety. You can get that in Puppy formulae as well.

Also try to put some apple cyder vinegar into her drinking water that too lowers body temp only a teaspoon though in a large bowl.

Check too for grass seeds that could be causing an irritation to her.

We did have a poodle that was causing issues with scratching etc in Alice Springs and after testing it was grass seed irritation that was causing his problem.

Is she on carpet alot? Is it wool or synthetic? If on carpet then give her a sheet to lay on.

Eliminate one thing at a time and do that for a fortnight to see the improvement.

Other than these suggestions I again apologise for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is right thread to post this, but thought i'll give it a go.

Short introduction:

My puppy Pagan is a six month old finnish lapphund who seems to be really itchy. She scratches her face and neck frequently. She has been itchy since we got her in November.

She is fed on a diet of chicken necks, raw food and blackhawk lamb and rice. I've tried taking her off blackhawk for a week, but she is still itchy. Any advice? Is it the raw food? I'm thinking of switching her kibble to Free Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch (based on the forums)/royal canin/ or candinae.

And i will attach pictures of her when i get home. :o

thanks everyone.

I do apologise that you are still having this issue. What raw foods are you giving Pagan? I know that we recommended the Black Hawk to you but I think that we were feeding the pupy chicken and rice. Lamb is too harsh on little bodies and can increase body temp.

We are now feeding Proplan and i would suggest that you try the Sensitive skin variety. You can get that in Puppy formulae as well.

Also try to put some apple cyder vinegar into her drinking water that too lowers body temp only a teaspoon though in a large bowl.

Check too for grass seeds that could be causing an irritation to her.

We did have a poodle that was causing issues with scratching etc in Alice Springs and after testing it was grass seed irritation that was causing his problem.

Is she on carpet alot? Is it wool or synthetic? If on carpet then give her a sheet to lay on.

Eliminate one thing at a time and do that for a fortnight to see the improvement.

Other than these suggestions I again apologise for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

Just another thought - before you go out to buy another bag of dog food. Simply remove all processed foods totally from her diet. give her only fresh food for 3 weeks and see what happens. If that does not work then reverse the foods give her dry only and no fresh for a couple of weeks. Do add the apple cyder to her water though. Lappie Mum agrees with that one.

Gretel   

Yes I'd be feeding her totally raw for a few weeks as suggested. Just stopping the dry food for a week would probably not have been long enough. Itchies are such a pain to pin down. I hope you can get it sorted soon. There's no chance she may have picked up an odd flea? It only takes a bite to set them off if they are sensitive. Looking forward to photos :)

Arlizng   

Thanks everyone for your replies, very grateful. :thumbsup: Thanks theldaroy and lappie mum. Theldaroy- i had assumed it was the heat that was making her itchy.

I'll give the 3 week fresh food diet plan a go.

will need to buy her apple cider tomorrow if i can duck out.

been checking her for fleas (she is on sentinel) but no sign of them so far. She has two dog beds, but prefers sleeping in the laundry or on a fluffy towel i've laid down for her. Maybe the beds are too warm for her.

Here you go, her royal fluffy buttress.post-27838-0-13423400-1393926577_thumb.jpg

Gretel   

Hello pretty girl :) The beds may be too warm for her. Vienna prefers to sleep on the slate most of the time and if she's in her crate she pushes the bedding to the end and sleeps on the metal tray.

:love: oh she is adorable!

Make sure when you are feeding the fresh food that any treats are fresh food too. No schmakos, dentasticks etc

My sibe had terrible flaky/dandruffy skin until I switched to raw. I use grain free kibble as a backup and she seems fine on that too. I hope it works for her, itching is no fun :(

luvsdogs   

Also when getting the ACV get one with the 'mother' in it. I originally got it from the health food store but last time it was in the supermarket. Make sure to shake well as it has 'bits' in it. Some times they can also be allergic to chicken, lamb or beef. If total raw doesn't work, something to think about. Search some of Erni's posts.

My 1st border collie used to scratch constantly, way back in the mid 90's. I tried everything from not giving her beef to additives in her food. It turned out to be a flea allergy & once I put her on advantage the problem went away.

Edited by luvsdogs

Arlizng   

Hello pretty girl :) The beds may be too warm for her. Vienna prefers to sleep on the slate most of the time and if she's in her crate she pushes the bedding to the end and sleeps on the metal tray.

Pagan says thanks. :o Yea, she has taken to sleeping on one of my couch cushions that i've laid down on the floor for her...

:love: oh she is adorable!

Make sure when you are feeding the fresh food that any treats are fresh food too. No schmakos, dentasticks etc

My sibe had terrible flaky/dandruffy skin until I switched to raw. I use grain free kibble as a backup and she seems fine on that too. I hope it works for her, itching is no fun :(

Thanks for the reminder, i slipped and gave her one dentastick last night. What kind of treats do u think? I was thinking of boiled chicken breast cut up into little bits.

Also when getting the ACV get one with the 'mother' in it. I originally got it from the health food store but last time it was in the supermarket. Make sure to shake well as it has 'bits' in it. Some times they can also be allergic to chicken, lamb or beef. If total raw doesn't work, something to think about. Search some of Erni's posts.

My 1st border collie used to scratch constantly, way back in the mid 90's. I tried everything from not giving her beef to additives in her food. It turned out to be a flea allergy & once I put her on advantage the problem went away.

Update. It's been a week and she's still scratching although i think its less? I'm trying to cut down on the lamb. Thanks, i still need to get the ACV.

I'll upload pics when i get home. :D

gillbear   

For anyone who knows of a fabulous home there is a 3yo pair of German Spitz becoming available for adoption soon. A Brother and Sister who were surrendered due to a marriage breakdown. Located central coast NSW

kezzzza   

Arlizng, Brewers yeast and milled flax seed is great for coat and skin. If you have a dehydrator, dehydrate meat in it and use that as a treat, beats smacko's any day

Arlizng   

Arlizng, Brewers yeast and milled flax seed is great for coat and skin. If you have a dehydrator, dehydrate meat in it and use that as a treat, beats smacko's any day

Thanks. Looks like i need to get a dehydrator. :thumbsup: And thinking of looking raw treats. She's been fed on a raw diet but still itching. :(

What source of protein is she on? My girl Veikko has a mild allergy to chicken so when she was on the blackhawk puppy formula and the chicken and rice adult formula, she would itch like she had fleas. She is now on the fish and potato variety and no more itchies :) It did take her a couple of weeks after I took her off the chicken variety to stop scratching but she got there. She can have chicken but if she has it for a few days running, she starts scratching.

idigadog   

Hi everyone,

Just in case anyone in the Canberra region is interested in attending the beginners day run by the Canberra Sled Dog Club.

Beginners-Day-Flyer-2014_zps27a6edbe.jpg