Looking For The Majick Bullet

My sis dog had horrid problems from young age. She ended up having permanent acu-pressure implants (I think they are called 'gold bullets') at the age of 4. It worked wonders. This maybe worth investigating.

This procedure involves implanting gold-plated beads that are about the size of poppy seeds and have a slight magnetic charge. Sometimes gold wire is also used. The beads are injected using a 14-gauge needle while the dog is anesthetized.

Like acupuncture itself, gold-bead implantation is very safe. The implants are often used for musculoskeletal problems such as hip dysplasia, osteochondritis, arthritis and spondylosis of the back. Age has an important influence on effectiveness.

Another area where gold beads are used is in neurological disorders such as epilepsy and Wobbler's syndrome.

Using what is called a "French pulse technique," the vetacupuncturist uses her own pulse to diagnose what points to stimulate with beads. When she is holding the bead-loaded syringe over the correct point, the practitioner will feel her pulse increase and get slightly more erratic.

The implants should not be used when cancer, tumors or bone infections are present, because their weak positive charge can actually encourage growth. Only vets certified in acupuncture can do gold bead implants.

My dog has spondylosis too it looks like a doily wrapped around the spine on X-ray, is it common for vets to do this in Aust I think i read they need to be trained in TCM, I will need to find one in Vic to have a chat.

How much did it cost your sister?

It was about 5 years ago and it took some effort finding the vet who could do it in Sydney. Things may have changed.

As far as I remember, the cost was ~$600 for the lot.

Edited by Anna

I would also be adding in Vit E, Cod Liver oil capsule, salon oil capsules/ fatty fish meals. OH swears that the cod liver oil and the salmon oil make the difference for him. OH also takes glucosamine and chondroitin and ester C. LOL legacy of years of rugby.

Good Luck

H

Maybe consider anti-inflammatories and/or painkillers from the vet?

All medications have potential side-effects.

I would rather take the small risk it than see my dog in pain. I wouldn't be deterred by some of the horror stories you hear about anti-inflammatories. They're used a LOT and side effects uncommon. Always give with food.

Cold weather + arthritis= pain :) .

We use Krill oil for Zero - 1 capsule a day (we open the capsule with a pin and put it over his food). It's more concentrated than fish oil. He didn't have porblems with Zero before so I don't know how well it's working but our vet suggested it to help his joints now that he's getting to the ripe old age of 4...