Itchy And Skinny

Hey

I have a 14 week old male german shepherd pup. He has really bad dandruff and itches regularly. He doesnt have fleas either. He is also quite skinny even though he is fed good sized meals twice a day. could the kibble i am feeding him cause both of these problems.?

It could be a number of things. Diesel is also an itchy German Shepherd, with him we assume it is a contact allergy as it is on his tummy and flanks. What food are you feeding? We ruled out food allergies with Diesel by giving a special diet for 6 weeks (either a novel protein, or in our case we used Hills Z/D as most novel protein foods have fish in it, which he had been getting already), and it made no difference. He also gets fish oil and evening primrose oil every day and washed in Aloveen oatmeal shampoo.

Hey

I have a 14 week old male german shepherd pup. He has really bad dandruff and itches regularly. He doesnt have fleas either. He is also quite skinny even though he is fed good sized meals twice a day. could the kibble i am feeding him cause both of these problems.?

If I had a skinny GSD pup I'd be going to the vet and getting him tested for EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency), which could possibly cause both problems.

http://www.articlealley.com/article_192100_54.html

Edited by Bubbly

He is fed Science Diet puppy large breed at the moment with raw meat and bones. I bathed him in aloveen oatmeal shampoo and conditioner yesterday but still seems to have flaky skin!.. he isn't extremely skinny just skinnier than a normal puppy should be. The vets have commented on it before and have just told me to feed him larger amounts. He was only wormed 2 weeks ago and his poo is normal as well. I have never heard of EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency). I am thinking of just feeding him raw for a couple of weeks and see if their is any difference in him and if his condition doesnt improve it looks like it may be a visit to the vet. he is very active and playful, so nothing seems to be bothering him.

Guest magnum

It maybe be a good idea to also contact the breeder :eek: It maybe the dry food your puppy maybe not getting enough from it, try changing over to a other good brand. You can also give some oil for his dry skin or other products to help with skin & coat quality.

Good luck :(

Guest magnum
yep... try more raw, with some oil supplements... and don't bath him again for a while- bathing can remove oils from the skin.

Contacting the breeder could be a good idea!

I would not feed too much raw meats to a growing GSD, you may need up with even more problems.. If you have changed from what your breeder was given this could be a problem, given them a call to see if any of the litter mates are having the same problem as your puppy..

The breeders were feeding him pro plan. We have mixed a bag of that into the science diet when we bought him. He was pretty skinny when we got him too. I dont just feed him raw meat. Last night he had chicken mince, carrots, egg and pasta. HE also has other vegies, brown rice, sardines and cheese occasionally. What kind of oil can I use for him?

Pasta also contains wheat so add that to the science diet & that could be a major factor.

Is the dog skinny or is the pup a good growing weight for its age.Has it lost weight with you or maintained it.

I would certainly contact the breeder to discuss the problem as they may have a good idea that will suit your pup.

Dont mix the dry varieties.Its either one or the other.

First place of call for an itchy and skinny puppy is worming, and follow up worming in a couple of weeks.

Once you are sure there are no worms - put the pup onto a good quality dry food (Proplan is good) which has the right blend of oils and omega 3 and 6 for coat. Perhaps also add some sardines occasionally to the diet.

Edit: for spelling

Edited by Scales of Justice

Your puppy is having growth issues at 14 weeks? If he is skinny, I would be feeding him smaller meals more often, maybe he is also very enrgetic and burns it off quickly..

A change in diet can also affect puppies, especially if they have just left there mum and littermates recently..

Ava had a coat change, but it was thick and very healthy (nice shine) she has not had any dandruff, my breeder feeds advance, I kept Ava on it and slowly changed to pro plan and so far have not had any issues with her...

Did your breeders suggest maybe a change in diet?

Can we have a piccie of your puppy, please, we neeed something to goooo and gaaaaa over! :p

Ill show you mine! :):)

Edited by Ruby&Axel