VACCINATIONS

Axel

What Vaccinations do you recommend?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What Vaccinations do you recommend?

• Bare minimum
    • C5
    • C7
    • Bare minimum + kennel caugh
    • C5 + kennel caugh
    • C7 + kennel caugh

HI, have recieved different answers to this question from different vets, breeders and doggie owners, so i thought id put it to DOLers..

This sparked my interest when a breeder friend of mine who is also a vet nurse C7's all her dogs, and recommended i did the same, but told me that i may find it hard to find a vet in Sydney that stocks the C7 and it will probably cost extra to get the vaccine in.

Also when i took Axel in for his vaccinations i had him vaccinated against kennel caugh as well. but when my aunty took her dog into the same vet she was told she didnt have to get kennel caugh vaccine and the only reason the vet recommended it to me was cos Axel goes to shows and is around other dogs..

I want to just clarify all this....?!?!?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do people use C4? I did initially and now we use C5, and at one point yes we were using C7...

C4 is a C3 plus the most common organism causing Kennel cough, parainfluenza virus...and C5 covers the second most common cause of Kennel cough, bacterial (Bordatella bronchiseptica) as well as the viral strain...

Mel

Im not much of a dog biologist (like...at all) but i personally think the less vaccines a dog gets, the better. There has been a steady increase in things like cancer in dogs, along with the steady increase of vaccines they get. Although, saying that, some are definately necessary in this day and age. I guess its all about finding that line between too much and too little.

Since i personally dont have much experience on this matter, i wont bother to give my opinion on which is better. I think veterinary opinions are the most important here. They did, after all, go to veterinary school to learn abotu these sorts of things.

C3 = Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus

C4 = C3 + Parainfluenza virus (viral component of "kennel cough")

C5 = C4 + BB (the bacterial component of "kennel cough" - Bordatella bronchiseptica)

The recommendations are that all dogs and cats should receive at least the initial course and first yearly booster of the core vaccines (ie. C3). Best to make the decision on further vaccines after discussion with your vet.

Including the kennel cough component is only really neccessary for dogs that regularly hang out with other dogs whether it be at the dog park, shows, training etc or are expected to go into boarding kennels (although the kennel cough component can be added later). It wont prevent a dog from getting 'kennel cough' but will limit the clinical signs, which in turn limits the spread of the infectious organisms in mucus and nasal secretions.

Edited by Rappie

We still only get the C4. I use to be around alot of kennel dogs, and regularly even with the C5 vaccs my dogs would pick up Kennel Cough. So i gave up, it worked out cheaper to treat KC immediately when it appeared then it was to vaccinate with C5 each year.

We have Fitz vaccinated at c7, on the first set of info, and c5 on Rappies one.

Frosty is on c3, but I am going to get him a c5 or c7 for his next one, just to make sure he is properly covered for everthing. Much better to be safe then sorry, in my opinon. Many of these diseases are devistating, and even if an animal can recover they often have difficulties for the rest of their lives. Treating the diseases is also very expencive, stressful, and obviously is very hard on the dog.

Canine cough is air borne so your dog may never go out but it can still get it & we have found those vaccinated with c5 got canine cough more & worse than the dogs with c3.

c7 i have no intentions of using this but i know the RSPCA dogs are vaccinated with c7,i believe its the lepto jab that has caused issues in the US & there know vaccinating for individually instead of in one jab & at an older age than the puppy vacc.

The fact is whilst vaccinated they still can get any of the ailments what the vacc does is hopefully minimize the potential of the disease but then it comes down to a dogs immune system at the time & how quick the owners react during the illness.

Guest katiea40

My vet said i only need to vacc my puppy with a c5 then a c5 booster after 4 weeks never even heard of the others.

I've also vacc my dog with the needle for heartworm.

*pulls out her doggie vet card*

my boy had all this done last time

C3 = Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus

C4 = C3 + Parainfluenza virus (viral component of "kennel cough")

C5 = C4 + BB (the bacterial component of "kennel cough" - Bordatella bronchiseptica)

so whatever that means!

i have him done for kennel cough because i bring home sick dogs for nursing back to health. to this day he still hasnt had kennel cough! woo!

I used to vaccinate for Kennel Cough but not anymore. It's an airborne virus, it can strike even the vaccinated pooches. There are there many strains of Kennel Cough, you can't possibly vaccinate for all of them. Kennel Cough is not life threatening, treatment involves antibiotics and cough mixture & of course soft foods for their sore throats. I had all mine done for kennel cough a few years ago, the neighbours dogs went down with it, and being an airborne virus, mine (who were vaccinated against it) were all infected with it anyway.

"Some" vets still give the kennel cough vaccine up the nose, the dog promptly sneezes and you have to wonder how much of the vaccine they actually got anyway. More vets are using the vaccine injection opposed to the liquid up the nose now, thank GOD.

My vet gave Axel the kennel caugh vaccine up the nose... she said she gave him a bit extra to compensate for the amount he will sneeze out, however he didnt sneeze, much to her suprise.. she said he was one of the very few that DIDNT sneeze, i wondered then as to why they wouldnt have used an injection type vaccine for kennel caugh if that was the case??!??

Just because you're vaccinated does not mean that you will not get it. (Many think this) It is the same with us, just because we are vaccinated against measels does not mean that we will get it at some point in our lives. The hope is that it will not be as serious as if we were not vaccinated against it.

I have only done the C5. I live isolated away from suburbia and take care where I take young puppies, so never have found the need to vaccinate any higher.