Western Port Obedience Club (& Hastings)

I'm looking for an Obedience club in the South Eastern Suburbs that does trialling and agility. I've heard that Western Port is a good club... (good as in a range of levels and activities and supportive and friendly.)

However, I would welcome feedback from people who've had experience there (good or bad.) I plan on visiting the club soon but am doing a little research before that!

I have a 7 month old Belgian Shepherd who has had training (or rather I have had training to teach her thanks to Underdog Training!) She's very quick and inquisitive as well as possessing a lot of attitude. Ultimately I would like to try competive obedience and agility with her. (I'm new to both.)

I'd appreciate any feed back on Western Port or other clubs in the South Eastern Suburbs :) Thanks

EDITED to include Hastings in topic title

Edited by BelgianPup

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have met people from Westernport who are very nice and they seem good trainers. It is at KCC Park too which I reckon is a bonus if you plan to trial as that kind of makes it your 'home ground'. I have heard Berwick is very good for Agility and I know Croydon is super at both Obedience and Agility. Hope this helps :)

Guest Tess32
Sorry, my personal experiences were not good at all. Actually quite horrifying!

Can you expand? As I am thinking of going.

I went with my vaccination papers in my hot little hand and my latest pup, all ready to join. I was there for under an hour, 4 dog fights, dogs being tracking trained to pull on a slip chain, a dog rolled my pup to the ground and pinned it (after knocking me off my stool to get to the pup), no apology, no club member once came over to see if I was ok or if I needed help! So much for joining up!

mmm more details, agility being set up in a tiny circle with two cairn terriers being tied at the foot of the A frame (on the club trailer) so that when dogs landed they got snapped at by excited terriers tied up, one of the dogs involved in the biggest fight was then brought back to the clubhouse and tied up and left (very large malamute) - apparently so that it learnt people didn't like the fighting! No-one stayed near it thou to warn other club members not to take their dogs near! At this point I thought I might just move away!

Could not believe the ignorance to dog behaviour! Certainly wouldn't set foot back there and ended up training with the GSD club for the morning just to get the pup back feeling comfortable again!

Just my personal experiences but really this is just a summary! It was all pretty scary!

Guest Tess32

Geezus. How long ago?

I have heard mixed reactions so might just have to see for myself I guess.

I joined Westerport about 4 years ago and lasted only a few months. I kept getting the same instructor who spent most of the class telling us how lucky we were to have him as he was the instructor who taught all the other instructors. When he wasn't big noting himself he focussed on just a couple of people in the class as they had dogs the same breed as his and pretty much just ignored the rest of us.

After a few months I was told I was ready to go into the members comp so I spent my money and entered only to find out that I hadn't been taught all the exercises required for my level.

I have trained dogs for a lot of years and have been a member of quite a few clubs and this was definitely the worst I've experienced. I will say that it was 4 years ago and the club may have changed but I won't go back - and it's only 10 minutes from home!

Funny I was trying to work out how to phrase the big noting of instructors about themselves and their dogs, I noticed that too! Odd thou, I didn't recognise any of them as regular triallers. It's only 10 minutes from home for me too and I certainly won't be back!

As for other clubs, Berwick has a great reputation, as does Croydon (I come from agiliy background more than obedience). Mornington is a lovely club for general obedience and behaviour help, they really avoid the trialling details but again saturdays!! Lovely people thou! Personally I would like to join berwick, going on feedback from visitors and members and I always love their trials, but saturdays!!

I found the same issues as Alanglen. Mainly the fact that there was no responsibility with owners. People did not understand the personal space rule, would leave dogs tied up and the tie outs are too close, so the dogs would get tangled and/or into a fight. People would let there dogs just run up to others without hesitation.

The club needed to enforce the rules a little better, and yes the trainer I had was also full of himself, prob the same guy I reckon.

Berwick is a great club, offering flyball, agility and training.

Kathy - Training Co ordinator WPODC, Hi guys I'm am sorry that a couple of you had such a bad experience, especially more recently. For those looking for a local club I would suggest popping along to the clubs mentioned (add Hastings to the list) to have a chat with instructors and find out exactly what each club has to offer you personally. Westernport launched it's Companion Dog Program this year, aimed at the pet owner, the program is an all positive informative 8weeks that sets the foundations for pet manners, agility basics, and obedience. To those looking for more we offer Agility, Tracking and Obedience from certificate to trial standard and have regular Workshops, Seminars and Training Groups free to members. An Obedience Trial Judge runs our ring 1st Sunday each month and every week we have several instructors that have titled dogs to CDX and UD that work one-to-one with those wanting to trial. Tracking (all dogs are tracked in harness, never in collars or a chain), our Tracking Team Instructor has successully competed to the level of Tracking Champion and works with a devoted team who walk beside beginner trackers right the way through to early mornings at country trials. We do have a space policy, dogs with issues wear space vests and are not to be left unatended. However as with all clubs high numbers of beginner handlers and eager, excited dogs does at times lead to mishaps. Handlers and their dogs are coached throughout our CDP on space issues, tethering and reminded in newsletters, notices and in class of these issues. We also have a behaviourist who takes referals of serious problem dogs, which we then work with individually. Our instructors are passionate about WPODC and helping handlers achieve their goals. Together with committee and a group of keen helpers we run a club that prides itself on being friendly and sociable to all our members, visitors and fellow clubs. Dogs Victoria (VCA) affiliated clubs are solely run by voluteers, so please remember to tell them when they are doing a good job too. Happy training. http://www.westernportdogclub.org.au/

This thread is really helpful as we are also looking for a club in that region for my 17 weeks old pup. It helps to narrow down our options

We are considering between Berwick Obedience Club and Rottweiler Club of Victoria. Through this forum, I read alot of positive feedback about the Rottweiler Club. They train on Wednesday evenings and open to all breeds :D We will bring our pup to visit after 10 days of her last vaccination.

Berwick Obedience Club only takes in new members on the first Saturday of every month but we might pop by to visit later.

Hi guys,

I too had a very bad experience at W/P. I would say, with the same instructor. He told me that I had to really use the choke chain to do just that...choke the dog down. He bragged that he could put his male rotty on the ground with a choke chain to make him respect him! I left there and went to Berwick. They are terrific there. I would still be there except that we moved away from the area but Berwick is great and so is Hastings from what i have heard.

JD

Hi guys,

I too had a very bad experience at W/P. I would say, with the same instructor. He told me that I had to really use the choke chain to do just that...choke the dog down. He bragged that he could put his male rotty on the ground with a choke chain to make him respect him! I left there and went to Berwick. They are terrific there. I would still be there except that we moved away from the area but Berwick is great and so is Hastings from what i have heard.

JD

hastings rocks !!!!!

train sunday have agility flyball and trialing focused if you are that way inclined,

use positive training methods and food rewards encouraged

dont discriminate against anyones choice of collars correction chains etc,

very friendly positive and encouraging club !!