My Puppy Is Getting Desexed Today

I dropped my puppy off at the vet this morning as she is having her desexing operation today. She will be staying at the vet overnight and I am picking her up at 5:00pm tomorrow.

I'm just wondering what I can expect when I pick her up as this is my first puppy.

How did your female pup go after desexing?

I dropped my puppy off at the vet this morning as she is having her desexing operation today. She will be staying at the vet overnight and I am picking her up at 5:00pm tomorrow.

I'm just wondering what I can expect when I pick her up as this is my first puppy.

How did your female pup go after desexing?

I got 2 dogs desexed yesterday, one 18month old male staghound, and a 6 month old female ridgeback.

Last few weeks I have been getting a dog desexed every week (rescue dogs). They are all pretty dopey that night but the following morning they are almsot back to normal. I brought them home and put them both in crates. I always pick them up the same day, why is your vet keeping her overnight?

Usually they don't keep them in overnight. Why is your vet doing this? Does she have some medical problem or maybe your vet is rying to make a few extra dollars out of you.

I have had many female and male dogs desexed through my rescue work. They are always very out of it when you bring them home that night but are pretty much back to themselves the next day.

Because your girl is staying overnight and the next day by the time you pick her up she will basically be back to normal. It will be you freaking out about trying to keep her less active whilst her stitches are in.

Keeping the pup overnight is standard practice at my vet for females. I didn't really question it. Can anyone else comment on whether their vet does this?

Good to know that she shouldn't be too unhappy by the time I collect her.

I got my female JRT desexed just before 6 months old, I picked her up that night she was fine I just gave her a nice warm place to sleep and she did for about 1½ hours then was looking for food (she's a guts). The hard part was keeping her still it drove her nuts being locked up for a week especially since my GSD male was allowed to run around when she was ok to go for walks etcetera again she went mental the first few days.

I must say when i picked my girl up the same day she was desexed, she was a mess, and looked terrible it broke my heart what i had put her through. And my breeder was surprised that i picked her up the same day as her girls have always stayed over night, and i think that is how i will go next time..

I can still picture how she looked at that was 1 and half years ago..

Usually I drop mine in the morning of the op and pick them up that afternoon

and keeping them quiet is harder with some then others :eek:

I will be getting a 6 mth old done next week also a female and the same procedure dropping her off at 9 and picking her up at 5 :)

I just rang the vet to see how she is and they said that the operation went very well. She's awake but very groggy still and drooling a lot. I wish I could see her but I'm glad she's being looked after by experienced vets.

My GSD was desexed at 9 months, dropped her ff in the morning and picked her up at 5-6pm and she was groggy and couldnt stand up until about 9pm that night..

Although my sister is her vet nurse I felt better keeping her home where she wsa in our care and I had time off... She ate little the next day and was back to her old hyper self within 24 hours...

Just keep pup as inactive as you can..

I suppose it depends on you as a person about how you cope with seeing them drugged out. You just keep them quiet and let them sleep it off.

I suppose I am used to it with all the rescues I have fostered being desexed whilst they are with me.

For a young female puppy the procedure is less tramatic then an older female that has been on heat a few times or even been pregnant.

You also have to remember that dogs have less nerve endings then humans so don't have as much pain and they also cut down and inbetween the muscles in the female spaying which is much less traumatic then in humans when they cut across and through the muscles.

The clinic I work for does not keep routine spays in overnight. Is there a reason your vet chooses to do this? Seems like a money making exercise to me. If the dog is admitted in the morning and has surgery throughout the day, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to go home by around 5-6pm at the latest.

Is the vet clinic staffed 24 hours? If not, there is no reason (imo) why your pup should not be at home recovering in her own familiar surroundings.

My boy had a very invasive desexing surgery as he had had a testicle kicked back up inside him by his previous owners and it hadn't dropped back down. They had to put a 10cm incision in his abdomen but even so he came home the same day. He was happy to sit around for a couple of days because he was so sore, but then again, he was two and a half, not a puppy.

I'm sure your girl will be fine!

My girl a good number of years ago now went in in the morning and was out by the afternoon, she certainly wasnt her usual insane self and chose to sleep for about 2 days but otherwise she was fine.

Most vets treat a routine spay as day surgery. If there are no complications there is no reason why the dog should be kept in overnight, once the anaesthetic starts to wear off she will start to stress and fret and it is far better for the dog to be at home and with her owners than locked in a crate at a vet's surgery. If the surgery isn't staffed during the night she will left alone with no one to comfort her if she becomes distressed.

Personally I wouldn't use a vet whose standard policy is to keep bitches in overnight and most of the next day, sounds like a money making exercise to me :)

Personally I wouldn't use a vet whose standard policy is to keep bitches in overnight and most of the next day, sounds like a money making exercise to me :)

I wouldn't either. Especially if the place isn't staffed overnight

One of the rescue bitches I had desexed last month had only just come off heat so her desexing was more traumatic then usual. They sent her home the same day with some pain meds for a few days and she was fine.

I agree I wouldn't leave the dog there overnight if there was noone there, they are far better off home with you.

I have never had a bitch stay in overnight from desexing & both of the bitches I last had done were not young, they came home & slept, where I could keep an eye on them.

I picked up my girl and she's doing well. :rofl: Very glad to see everyone at home, tail's hardly stopped wagging. She's been quite content to chill in her crate in the loungeroom with us chewing on a bone or just having a snooze, which is good.

I'm really surprised by all the insinuations that my vet must be some horrible money-grubbing monster because he wanted to keep an eye on her for a little while after major surgery. :rofl: It might not be absolutely necessary, but it can't hurt to make sure that she's ok the next day before sending her home to someone who has good intentions but nevertheless no idea becasue they are not a vet.

Anyway, thanks for the words of support and advice. I'm going to do my best to keep her quiet over the weekend and into next week.