Need Help With Fighting Dogs

Hey all,

I have a 3yo Shar Pei entire male, and a 12 month old Kelpie entire male. They do not live "together"... the shar pei is an inside dog, allowed to go out to play, and toilet numerous times a day..the kelpie lives completely outside.

We are moving soon, and the shar pei will be living outside with the kelpie.

As soon as we move, the kelpie will be "chop chopped".

Problem is they have been fighting! (DUH!)I sat down with them this evening outside, and just watched. The kelpie sat under my chair, and everytime the pei came within 1 metre of myself, the kelpie "heeled", him, biting at his legs etc

When Im walking around outside, the kelpie will often jump on me (he does it alot LOL) and the pei will "barge" him, and a fight MIGHT start. (however, they USUALLY listen to me to cut it out)

When Im inside, the pei is my shadow.

When they DO fight (unless I can stop it before it starts), the pei always "wins".

Basically, from what I have noticed, the fights start over ME.. both seem to be overly protective of my attention, and affection.

What do I need to do to get these guys living in relative peace outside together?? CAN it be done???

Cheers in advance!!!

I recommend reading Jean Donaldson's "Fight!". You can get it from Amazon or Dogwise.

She sticks to dealing with behaviour as it presents, and has some good insights into the different reasons dogs fight.

Also, you may need to accept that you will never be able to leave them together unsupervised. This is usually not a huge deal - two basic kennel runs might solve your issues if they are both to be outside dogs.

Desex them both, I think you will have problems with them especially if the Sharpei has been an inside dog and with you all the time. I dont have much exp with Sharpeis but the bit I have learnt they often will not ever accept a member of the same sex.

Edited by varicool

You do really need to have them both castrated to remove some of the hormone overload!

Not spending a lot of time together means they don't have their relationship sorted... there are almost two 'territories',and there is you... and ,IMO they are having to re-assert themselves all the time. :rofl:

Not ideal.

you really should get some professional help here to ensure a smooth transition ...

I will third that

Desex them both, Pei boys entire are notorious for not liking other males, entire or not

I was having lots of issues with Zephyr as he was not desexed until he was 9 months due to skin issues

One desexed he became the lovely boy he is today

I also recommend TOT

Does the Kelpie back down?

The kelpie will submit to Tank after they have fought (Tank wins every fight)... but wont back down from having a fight. If I am around, Bill (kelpie) will often start the fight.

Often it will start too, because Billy wants to play with Tank, and Tank being the cranky serious man that he is- doesnt want to play... so will growl at Bill, but Bill will ignore it, or start rolling around on the floor trying to get Tank to play, but then Tank will snap, and a fight starts.

Some very good advice above! I would think it would be hard to completey relax with them having full yard access alone together, perhaps the castration and runs may be the way to go. Always worthwhile getting some help in to sort out issues too.

What a way to live! Not good for the dogs or you. You must desex them both as a top priority, it takes about 2 months for the hormones to disappear.

After that, you may discover that they simply may not get on, and then you should perhaps consider rehoming one of them.

When you move house, treat them equally, they should both be allowed in to the house and enjoy some interaction with you as their owner on a regular basis. Daily exercise should also make up part of the routine and hopefully at the end of it you will experience some harmony and they'll be better behaved!

Desex both. Rememver your kelpie is not a full adult yet, and while the fights are not too bad (although in my house not even a bitchy look is tolerated let alone a fight) when he's mature enough you may be spending a lot in vet bills.

Snip snip. Treat both dogs equally, and do NOT accept guarding behaviour from your dog. You are simply a posession to them, not a leader/owner so expect squabbling and you not having control when they do start fighting. Get a good trainer/behaviourist in to help you now.