Chewing Bedding

Zhou Xuanyao

I dont know what advice I expect here maybe a few idea I guess.

My dog is around 18 months and she chews her bedding. I havnt put a stop to it because for one thing I dont know how, and second I have had a stockpile of old blankets and that which I replace the eaten ones with but now im running out :love:

She is provided with many chewing alternatives all of which she uses very much. These include bones, tug toys, balls, and a kong, but still also chews her bedding aswell. When I catch her I stop her but its not working she still does it when im not looking.

Apart from her bedding she is not really that much of a problem chewer. She does not chew her doghouse or furniture, but does seem to chew buckets ect pretty much anything plastic. Also not sure if this might be related but since she was a pup she has always had a drink out of her bowl and then tipped it over and carried the bowl away. Recently I have glued it to the ground I only did that some days ago. She has not attempted to rip it up yet so we will see maybe that problem is fixed but still the bedding problem remains.

If she sleeps outdoors or in a laundry... just give her heaps of old newspapers/cardboard sheets. ...remove bedding except for night time?

Sorry can't really help- none of ours do it, so have no experience. It would be very annoying!!

our 12 month chi is similar. he loves chewing on one of my old flanelette pajama tops. it is only one top though and he only chews one specific corner it doesnt matter if it has been washed he always goes for the same corner and pulls it up on to my husbands or my lap on the lounge while we are watching tv at night time and curls up with it and chews it with his eyes half closed :love: very weird but so cute. we call it his pacifier because if he is running around going nuts as soon as he sees me bring the pajama top out of his cuboard he stops straight away and sits waiting for me to give it to him we let him do this because he doesnt want to chew anything else apart from his toys. i hope other people with more knowledge than i can help you. good luck and i hope she stops soon

:love: very odd charlie mum

Yes persophone very annoying indeed it sure is getting that way. I actually think scrunch up newspaper is a pretty good idea. I may try that maybe I can do it for a few weeks im sure she will have a ball ripping it all apart maybe it will help divert her attention from the bedding and then maybe I can gradually remove the newspaper and she will be cured. Worth a try I like it.

See the bedding differs from her bones and toys because she can actually rip it into little pieces so maybe thats why she does it.

Calsonic- my 18 month old staffy x does the same thing.

When we go out she is put outside (learnt the hard way not to leave her in the house unsupervised :love: ) and we expect that anything plastic, wood or bedding that is left out is given a good going over.

Ive just accepted it, so she gets a pile of old towels when outside and we got a big cheapie moulded plastic dog bed from kmart to put them on. She does chew it but it has lasted a long time so far.

Ive heard trampoline beds are comfortable and cant be chewed- might try that when this bed disintegrates.

The other day I stupidly left outside some bench cushions while I picked the kids up, since we hadn't had a bedding episode for a while. Got home just in time- she'd chewed the corner off and had pulled out only a little of the stuffing- any later and it wouldve been snowing in Sydney! :) ;)

Nice one sMs ! Yes good one. It will provide comfort but not sure how warm it will keep her compared to a doona or blanket, but then again she sleeps ontop of it not under it.

deelee2 yep sounds very familiar.

I have tried the suspended dog bed before they sure can be chewed. I dont think I ever saw her sleep on it she only played on it and destroyed it all except the metal frame.

The other day I stupidly left outside some bench cushions while I picked the kids up, since we hadn't had a bedding episode for a while. Got home just in time- she'd chewed the corner off and had pulled out only a little of the stuffing- any later and it wouldve been snowing in Sydney!

:love:

one of our girls does the same thing.. she chews & rips up her blankets... give her news paper and its even worse...

We just keep changing the blanket.. she doesnt do it ALL the time.. just when she wants out of her crate LOL shes 7 months old... Her brother and sister dont even mess up there blankets... heehee :laugh: