Jrt With Lymphosarcoma

baifra

My parents 9 year old JRT has just been diagnosed with lymphosarcoma.

It has all happened very quickly!!

Meg, the dog, had been her usual happy self up until 3 weeks ago when she started a terrible fight with my parents other dog, Pheobie, a five year old rottweiler. Pheobie is a very passive girl and ended up pinning Meg down so we grabbed her and seperated them. (we have tried unsuccessfully to reunite them as Meg instantly becomes aggressive)

Whilst going over Meg for injuries after the fight we noticed that her lymph nodes were huge!!!

They seemed to go down a bit but became enlarged again a few days later.

She had one of the nodes aspirated and pathology sent and the results came back with the diagnosis of lymphosarcoma.

The vet has given her 4 to 6 weeks without treatment and a years to 14 months with chemo. Apparently this is a very aggressive cancer.

Mum and Dad have chosen to go ahead with chemo and see how she goes.

I guess what I'm interested in is if there is anything else Mum and Dad could do for Meg to help with quality of life or even alternate treatments that anyone could recommend.

They are understandably devastated and want Meg to not only have the best treatment available but also a good quality of life.

She doesn't appear to be in pain but I suspect that she has a very high pain threshold. She sleeps a lot and is not really interested in food and water although does eat and drink with encouragement.

Dont have any experience but just wanted to say sorry, hope your mum and dad are doing ok, its a horrible shock.

When is Meg having chemo?

Thanks rmc, it has been awful as I lost my 12 year old dog at the end of April so this is just devastating.

Meg starts chemo tomorrow. Apparently it is weeky for a month and then depending on her condition will change to fortnightly.

Meg did well after the her first chemo treatment.

No adverse reactions and she has perked up a little.

Mum said she is even eating again which is fantastic. She still sleeps most of the time but doesn't appear to be in any pain.

Thanks for asking rmc.

I think Meg sounds as good as she can be... and hopefully it will get even better for her.

Have you read the other threads here - especially Sophie and Ollies? there is info about natural therapies that

might be able to help Meg during and after her chemo.

Maybe someone with more experience can give you some ideas on what to try...