Orijien Food

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that I'll bother buying it again. I've gone through two large bags but the dogs aren't particularly fussed on it. They'll often leave it even. I don't think it's as great as it's cracked up to be in all honesty.

I've put Floyd on it and he seems to really like it...of course he'd eat anything that stayed still for to long. :) However it does seem to be a good food, for him anyway, his coat is in excellet condition now and he looks really healthy. I've just ordered a bag for my Siamese, Loki, because his coat is SOOOO dry which is really BAD; a Siamese's coat should be almost oily. Poor little love. ;)

Cheers,

Jen

I've put mine back on Eagle pack.... Bakari got so thin even being fed 7-8 cups a day (for a 40kg dog) - he's looking so much better now he's back on the EP. Although it did help Meisha lose a bit of weight (she needed it), poos were very random - some days fine others sloppy with no other diet changes...

Grizzly's poos are fairly inconsistent too.... then again thats probably becuase he's using a mixture of fresh and kibble..

My goldie seems to be the same. He gets mostly chicken carcasses and bones but when I forget to take them out of the freezer (like last night) he gets a cup of Orijen instead. Poos inconsistent tonight and the farts are revolting.

Don't think I'll bother with Orijen again :)

Guest june.andnovas

I have just put my two cats onto RC and they're loving it.

my male needs to loose a kilo or two and today he's now dropped about 200 grams. i'm he's not had chicken necks for about two weeks and slowly refused to stop eating them. so i gathered that maybe he just didn't need them, too fatty.

so hopefully the weight will keep dropping and he'll be nice to pick up!

my kitten weights 4.3kg at 12 months old. she was dumped at the cat haven, so i would say malnourished until i found her. will she change much now or should i just keep her weight steady? she seems to be in good condition and her coat looks fantastic on the raw diet.

My two are still on the orijen and both are thriving, they're coats are gorgeous :)

Lola, seems to be gaining a little weight on it lately so I think I'll switch her from puppy to adult next bag, but could never go back to the brands I was feeding before...very impressed and the dogs are too, they gobble it down without a second thought.

I have just put my two cats onto RC and they're loving it.

my male needs to loose a kilo or two and today he's now dropped about 200 grams. i'm he's not had chicken necks for about two weeks and slowly refused to stop eating them. so i gathered that maybe he just didn't need them, too fatty.

so hopefully the weight will keep dropping and he'll be nice to pick up!

my kitten weights 4.3kg at 12 months old. she was dumped at the cat haven, so i would say malnourished until i found her. will she change much now or should i just keep her weight steady? she seems to be in good condition and her coat looks fantastic on the raw diet.

My cats are on RC too and I found they dropped weight but put on more muscle, so there must be something good in it!

Mel.

my staffie pup has been on it for about a month.. His coat is amazing.. soooooo shiny and soft!! But his poo's are still inconsistent too, I think it may be due to him eating something in the garden that's not right.. not sure, as Orijen is all he gets. I'll be sticking with it though as I'm not sure how he'll react to another change of diet and the grains are just fillers - so why pay for something that's unneccessary to his diet!

My dogs are on Orijen and they also have inconsistent and smelly poo and more gas, I'm not 100% happy with it, but the dogs certainly look happy and well and as others have said their coats are excellent. I have also tried Artemis Fresh Mix and it didn't suit my dogs at all, sloppy, smelly poo and LOTS of gas. The Artemis Power Formula was slightly better, but not much.

I used to feed Nutro and didn't have any of these problems even though according to its ingredients it's an inferior product to both Orijen and Artemis.

my staffie pup has been on it for about a month.. His coat is amazing.. soooooo shiny and soft!! But his poo's are still inconsistent too, I think it may be due to him eating something in the garden that's not right.. not sure, as Orijen is all he gets. I'll be sticking with it though as I'm not sure how he'll react to another change of diet and the grains are just fillers - so why pay for something that's unneccessary to his diet!

Have been feeding my staffie pup (6month old) Eukanuba she loves it and every one says how good her coat looks was also going to change and give Orijen a go but i think i will just stay with Eukanuba as she doing so well with it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow what an awesome thread. Have been reading up on the GREAT DOG FOOD DEBATE, and have decided that orijen may be the way to go.

Have a 12 mo b/w whippet who was a rescue - she was initially on RC but would only eat it with chicken mince and even the pick out the kibble. Then OH accidentlly bought supercoat and she wouldn't have a bar of that even with mince,so it got donated to local rescue. So tried Euk but she is now FAT on that and had to feed heaps. So currently back on RC but not happy with her being slightly over weight. gets lots of exercise

Then just to confuse the issue I added a 4.5 mo whippet into the pic. She was a bag of bones that could barely stand when she arrive unfortunately, could count every rib and had no energy. So with the same RC plus any canned food we would get- no idea what her diet was. She looks better but boy can she FART , definately clears a room and LANDMINE duty is a nightmare (ie poop scooping) b/c of the quantity and STINK. Still not completely happy with her.

Also the older one has developed a really nasty rash on her chest, and think it is from a grass allergy but not sure.

So think orijen is the way to go, so over spending money on kibble plus mince plus chicken wings/necks. Would just like to feed kibble with necks/wings a few times a week.

Think the Burpengary shop is a goer for me, if I can get day off work. They seem to think 13.5 hr days are sustainable, I beg to differ

I haven't been on this thread in a while but it looks like many people are having the same reaction my guys had with orijen - beautiful coats, happy dogs but unhappy owners putting up with all the farting and having to clean up two runny poos to every one hard one everyday. My two are back on Advance. I still might use orijen again but gee feeding Advance saves the $$$$.

I have toy breeds and ordered a small bag of orijen the other day. I am currently feeding Iams. Still waiting on it's arrival but I'm hoping the extra oils help their coat and the probiotics help the poohs. My older one is also overweight and after reading up on orijen and comparing other brands, I think this could be the one to help us out. High protein to fill him up rather than useless carbs in all the wheat and grains of other foods.

My youngest has never had a runny shit in his life, always small dark stools but they turn white after a couple of days (when I am slack and don't pick up)I am told this is from high bone content in his diet?. Older boy has runny shits about 1 in 4 movements and very strange colours when solid (anything from black to bright yellow). He only farts about once a week but it is rancid the smell.

So once my bag arrives, I will be able to judge it based on the reaction of one techincally "pooh healthy" and the other "occassional sloppy".

I'm very excited :thumbsup: