Orijien Food

There are many that still support the idea to much protein can be harmful for large breed puppy yet there is a great deal of research showing there is no relation to protein rather the calcium : phosphrous balance etc. I am sure some one with come a long for the link for the thread about the research into this B&B!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many that still support the idea to much protein can be harmful for large breed puppy yet there is a great deal of research showing there is no relation to protein rather the calcium : phosphrous balance etc. I am sure some one with come a long for the link for the thread about the research into this B&B!

Hmm I don't know what to think but yes that thread would be good to read does anyone have the link?

How much do they recommend you feed a 30kg dog per day? I feed Jyra raw and it costs us about $50/month. I think that if Origen's feeding guidelines are similar to Innova Evo's, a 13.5kg bag would probably last a month, making the cost $120/month instead of $50/month. I think I'll stick with the raw, but Origen is the only dry food that I would consider and what I would use if I HAD to switch to dry food. Considering that my parents are going to be paying for her food (and preparing it) soon, I think they'll stick with the raw too!

bag quotes for that size with a less active dog 2 1/2 cups a day while an active dog gets 3 3/4 cups.

I'm feeding my 2 gsd's about 1 3/4 cups plus a chicken wing or a couple of necks etc a day and they're looking great

How much do they recommend you feed a 30kg dog per day? I feed Jyra raw and it costs us about $50/month. I think that if Origen's feeding guidelines are similar to Innova Evo's, a 13.5kg bag would probably last a month, making the cost $120/month instead of $50/month. I think I'll stick with the raw, but Origen is the only dry food that I would consider and what I would use if I HAD to switch to dry food. Considering that my parents are going to be paying for her food (and preparing it) soon, I think they'll stick with the raw too!

bag quotes for that size with a less active dog 2 1/2 cups a day while an active dog gets 3 3/4 cups.

I'm feeding my 2 gsd's about 1 3/4 cups plus a chicken wing or a couple of necks etc a day and they're looking great

My GR is around 2 cups (some goes into his treat toys so might not make it into the gut) and a bone a day and he has actually lost a few more kilos and is nice an lean - so I am not going through a bag a mth more like almost 2 and a half mths :cool:

The dogs im feeding orijen to are a f kelpie x, 18 months, at max she weighs i think 14kgs and a lab x who is nearly 7 years and weighs about 25+kgs and could lose a few kilos for flyball!

However i give him 1 cup and the kelpie x 3/4 cup maybe im feeding too little?

Benson adores Orijen! :) I changed from EP around 4 1/2 mths ago too now and we are on our second bag for one dog (GR) and maybe just over half way through. I have him on Mega Oil, Dr Brusce Health Booster and Biotin as well during this same period of time due to incredible allergies problems where he was developing hot spot after hot spot and literally tore the skin off his head with his hind feet.

His overall condition had inproved incredibly he is much more energetic - before incredibly lathergic, his coat has transformed from coarse straw like texture to soft and thick, the itching and lick is still reducing each week and his poos are fantastic. He seems like a completely different dog from 5 mths ago!

I know it's not exclusively the food in our situation but I believe this combination has been what has turned Benson around from a miserable itchy boy to a dog that is really beginning to resemble a Golden Retriever again! :cool:

That sounds promising!! Can I ask what the Mega oil is? An omega combo? I have a Lhasa who is a poor itchy girl :o

Thanks for the link FTO. So does anywhere know where I can get some in Perth? I can order it online at $120 for 13.5kg not a lot for a lot of $$$.

This is the standard price for it and it is more economical as you do not need to feed as much.

I understand that the position is that high protein is only bad for growing large breed dogs if it is fed in conjunction with high fat. By itself it is not necessarily a bad thing.

Geez I'm feeding a 43kg dog 7 cups of Eagle Pack so maybe I should look at doing the switch too...

Does anywhere else other than Canine Country sell it in Brisbane???

There's a shop in Caboolture which sells it but it might be too far for you?

Benson adores Orijen! :rolleyes: I changed from EP around 4 1/2 mths ago too now and we are on our second bag for one dog (GR) and maybe just over half way through. I have him on Mega Oil, Dr Brusce Health Booster and Biotin as well during this same period of time due to incredible allergies problems where he was developing hot spot after hot spot and literally tore the skin off his head with his hind feet.

His overall condition had inproved incredibly he is much more energetic - before incredibly lathergic, his coat has transformed from coarse straw like texture to soft and thick, the itching and lick is still reducing each week and his poos are fantastic. He seems like a completely different dog from 5 mths ago!

I know it's not exclusively the food in our situation but I believe this combination has been what has turned Benson around from a miserable itchy boy to a dog that is really beginning to resemble a Golden Retriever again! :thumbsup:

That sounds promising!! Can I ask what the Mega oil is? An omega combo? I have a Lhasa who is a poor itchy girl :love:

Ok Mega Oil is a combo of all sorts of natural oils - here is the list

INGREDIENTS:

Flaxseed oil

Soybean seed oil

Evening Primrose oil

Borage oil (15ml GLA)

Safflower seed oil

Sunflower seed oil

Sesame seed oil

Pumpkin seed oil

Oil ratio 2:1:1 of Omega 3, 6 and 9

it however is not cheap and my homeopathic vet said to give 50 mls a day - so we are now on 6th or 7th bottle in the last 4 to 5 mths! :love:

Geez I'm feeding a 43kg dog 7 cups of Eagle Pack so maybe I should look at doing the switch too...

Does anywhere else other than Canine Country sell it in Brisbane???

There's a shop in Caboolture which sells it but it might be too far for you?

Which shop in Caboolture?

Sorry I cannot think of the name of the shop. They only sell Petfood - dry and fresh. It's in a little shopping village at a water tower just of Old Gympie Rd. Do you want the phone no or addresse?

If you have a phone number that would be awesome thank you, will try to goggle it too!

His name is Garry, the shop is in Burpengary and the phone no is 3888 6863.