Orijien Food

I m looking to Orijen as something to have on hand for when I can't get a good range of bones. I am finding it harder and harder to get good quality and variety of raw meaty bones around my area and without a deep frezer I am unable to stock up so I like to have a qulity kibble on hand for times when I can;t get to the shops or I get there but they don't have anythign reasonable.

I currently use Eale Pack Holistic Select for this purpose but what dras me to try Orijen is that it is grain free, so more in line with a natural diet that I prefer to feed. For me wanting to try it has nothing to do with the hype of reading about it on this forum, it is purely that it is a commercial option that is closer to my preferred way of feeding than current options that are out there. I was initially old about Orijen by a friend in Canada over 12 months ago so wa thrilled to hear that we finally have a grain free kibble available over here.

Out of interest, has anyone that is using Orijen tried the Artemis grain free as that is another option that I am considering. If you have used both, how do they compare?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian - I take your point and there may be some people out there who switch to Orijien as it is the 'new' thing on the market.

From my own experience, I have been on a constant search for a food which Angs will do well on due to having a senstive stomach/ fast digestion and increased appetite due to medication. The results I have seen from Angs so far have convinced me my decision to change was spot on. I am feeding less, poos are 'normal' and his condition is great!

I'm switching to orijen so I don't support PP who sell EVO. I am also switching to it because I it seems a good food from my research. I'm switching to it because the food I want is not available in this country.

I did feed pro plan until they changed the formula and it gave my dogs the runs. I fed it successfully for 5-6 years before this happened. It happened to all the dogs at the same time so I put it down to the food.

Feed what suits you Ian, but don't assume the rest of us are idiots.

FYI - I tried EP - didn't work. Tried Nutrience holistic - didn't work. Tried RC - worked OK.

I think the orijen fish is very similar to the OS food I am waiting for but once again, I await 4paws information as to when it will become available so that I can try it.

In the past I fed my Great Danes and my Saint Bernard Eukanuba and Pro Plan.

I was happy with it and my dogs were fine.

Since getting my two Afghans I started feeding Hills Science Diet which is what

I was told to feed and Horace my male Afghan developed skin problems so I switched

to EVO a natural no grain dry food. His coat improved and so has that of my female Afghan.

The reason I have decided to try Orijen is that it is very similar to EVO high Protein

Low Carb and no grain, all natural and made in the USA to high standards.

Most of all I don't have to buy it from PP.

Bought some today - he only had the 7kg bags though so will have to go get some more during the week....

Bag says 2-3 cups (for non active 30-50kg dog) - I was feeding 6 cups of the EP holistic????? Does that sound right?

I'm feeding 6-7 cups of EP holistic to my adult weimaraner plus about half a kilo of mince a day which is a lot of food for a dog that's not growing and guess what. He's not putting condition on!!!!! He is very active but still it's a lot of food that he doesn't eat unless I add mince.

I have orijen on order and can't wait for it to get here!

Ian,

I really think you're underestimating some people here...many people have jumped to their own defence after your post and I don't blame them. I think there is very few posters in this thread that didn't already know about/were using Orijen. It wasn't a case where the post has appeared and then everyone has rushed out to jump on a mythical bandwagon. Why shouldn't they share their satisfaction?

As you wisely said...if it aint broke dont fix it. But what if it IS broken? I didn't find out about Orijen on here or through any advertising. I had gone from food to food and had a pup who was still pooing 4-6 times a day and had a dull coat, I tried EP holistic because I thought it was the best that was available and surely it would help...still didn't though...so I did some fairly basic net research and found Orijen, coincidentally a supplier lives in the same city as me and that was that. Many people who have posted here seem to have commented on some problem that Orijen has overcome...I don't really believe that if they were thrilled with what they were feeding they would have bothered trying it in the first place. By the same token, if I stop getting results from Orijen I will continue my search, but in the meantime there is NOTHING that would make me even look sideways at another brand after what I've experienced after using it with my dogs

I respect the intention of your post...and definitely agree that you should feed whatever your dogs do well on...but just because there are a few people who by using this theory have ended up trying a food that's new to the australian market, and have then decided to share their excitement about finding the food that is right for their dogs...doesn't make us a bunch of mindless advertising-susceptible zombies...

I stand by my statement that if the majority of people here were wrapped with whatever they were previously feeding, they probably wouldn't bother randomly changing to a new brand...they were obviously trying to improve something :D

My Kelpie X GSD is 9 years old and I changed food about every 2 years at least because she got to a point where she refused to eat it. I always used high quality food (Eukanuba, RC ect). Never had any problems with any of the food it was just Hera starting to dislike it. When I got Quentin he was on Supercoat. A food I didn't believe to be the best. I did some research and found a dogfood site which had compared several dogfood and that's where I found Orijen. Unfortunately the supplier was across a toll bridge so I didn't bother. A lot of people here were talking about EP Holistic, so I got that one for both of them and yes, they both ate it - for about 2-3 weeks. Quentin, my Weim had huge runny very smelly poos about 10times a day and Hera just refused to eat it. So the bag went to the RSPCA. I had to get Quentin on a special sensitvity diet (only available at the vet with a huge pricetag). So, I looked once again on all the different foods available. In the meantime I fed BARF but I don't believe in it wiout feeding something else. I found out that there's a new shop near me and I ordered 2 big bags of Orijen. Yes, it's expensive but not by that much compared to other high quality dog food.

I read a lot of good things about it here, so I was curious on how we went. My guys have been on it for about a month now which I know is not a long time but the positive differences are so amazing! :D Quentin, the poopmachine, still has a good metabolism but when I walk around the yard in the morning to pick his droppings from the previous day I don't need a breathing apparatus and a few plastic shopping bags anymore. He likes to eat it and looks good. Hera, my 'senior', was always shedding, her coat was dry and she was stiff in the mornings, didn't like to walk anymore, was tired all the time - it actually was so bad with her, that I thought her time has come. Since I put her on Orijen she stopped shedding (first time in 9 years!). A few people told me before but honestly I didn't believe it. Her coat suddently is soft and shiny (also first time in 9 years). She started playing again, runs around like crazy and even jumps again! Today when I came home it was the first time since I had the new car which is much higher than the old one that she actually jumped in without any hesitation! She even jumped on me which she hasn't done since she had her operation for HD. I hardly recognise her. She's full of life and all I did is I changed the food. Honestly, if it wouldn't have done anything, I would have switched back to something else after the bag has finished. But I cannot believe how much they have changed to the positive!

Yes, don't fix it if it ain't broken but I didn't even know it was broken.

this dry food sounds great, i have tried a sample bag, and dogs seem to do good on it, normally my boys will get runny poos if i give them other dry foods, and this stuff didnt.

My boys are on Nutro, which of cause is no longer available :D so i need to work out what dry food is best to change them over too.

I only have about 2 weeks or so left of the nutro dry food, so need to get on to this straight away..

My trial pack arrived today. I mixed a bit in with Darcy's EP Holistic Duck and what did the bugger do? Eat all the Orijen and leave a handful of EP in the bowl :laugh: The fusspot approves :banghead:

The next test will be to see how his gut reacts to it. The meds he is on only stop him from vomitting, they don't change the back-end in any way. Hes been generally ok on EP Holisitic Duck, the odd sloppy one every week which can't be explained. Maybe Orijen will change that.

My trial pack arrived today. I mixed a bit in with Darcy's EP Holistic Duck and what did the bugger do? Eat all the Orijen and leave a handful of EP in the bowl :laugh: The fusspot approves :banghead:

The next test will be to see how his gut reacts to it. The meds he is on only stop him from vomitting, they don't change the back-end in any way. Hes been generally ok on EP Holisitic Duck, the odd sloppy one every week which can't be explained. Maybe Orijen will change that.

:D :):) I had a feeling that might occur as your little fella sounds like such a fussy one!

Oh he is - you'd think I was trying to poison him the way he turns up his nose at food! He is not a typical cocker at all, very much broken! He gets raw meat as well as dry, so its not like I'm depriving the poor dog!

Hes still digging at the bowl when he eats, but I'm afraid Orijen will not cure that :cheer:

I started using Artemis grain free as well as raw so that I have a backup food. We were flooded in earlier this year and were having to get pretty creative with the pantry to feed everyone once the freezer was empty. We're in an area that sometimes loses power due to fires too ... if the fridge is kuput and the road is cut then a big bag of kibble is a lifesaver.

My two love it but my boy has so-so poo after it .. I might try Origien next time.

Does anyone have a view on the shelf life of these kibbles once open - stored in a lidded bucket.? I'm a bit concerned we don't go through it quickly enough.

I m looking to Orijen as something to have on hand for when I can't get a good range of bones. I am finding it harder and harder to get good quality and variety of raw meaty bones around my area and without a deep frezer I am unable to stock up so I like to have a qulity kibble on hand for times when I can;t get to the shops or I get there but they don't have anythign reasonable.

...[snip]...

Out of interest, has anyone that is using Orijen tried the Artemis grain free as that is another option that I am considering. If you have used both, how do they compare?

most of the stock i have in at the moment is dated jan/feb 09

There is a new shipment coming into Aust now which will have later dates

Thanks 4 Paws,

I was thinking that once it's open it may lose nutritional value faster .. I'd thought of having some on hand unopened for emergencies but then decided I really need to make it a part of their diet so they wouldn't get hit with a new food come the revolution.

If the pack useby date is a reasonable guide then it's all good!

Oh he is - you'd think I was trying to poison him the way he turns up his nose at food! He is not a typical cocker at all, very much broken! He gets raw meat as well as dry, so its not like I'm depriving the poor dog!

Hes still digging at the bowl when he eats, but I'm afraid Orijen will not cure that :)

I hear ya - my Ragdoll is broken too :( they are meant to be a quite cat but NOOO I have the chatties Raggy in the world! :o

Hes still digging at the bowl when he eats, but I'm afraid Orijen will not cure that :(

I hear ya - my Ragdoll is broken too :eek: they are meant to be a quite cat but NOOO I have the chatties Raggy in the world! :)

Mine are just plain broken! Border Collies are meant to be smart but I got a dumb one. He ran full pelt into a park bench today...just because he could....

Darcy is still eating the orijen :rolleyes: