Any Vets That Recognise Breeds

pittylover

Yesterday I had a really bad day and came up with some questions. It stared when I went to take my dogs (amstaff and pitty) to the dog park put them in the ute and tied them in as I always however on the way my pitty somehow went over the edge (and no i wasn't speeding) I noticed right away and pulled up but her collar snapped as I stopped and her back leg went under the tyre and ripped it up a bit (just a note on the toughness of the breed she didn't once seem as though she was hurt went around and jumped in the back ready to keep going) I hopwever thought the vet would be a good idea as she was bleeding and I could see bone. It was not pretty on the way all I could think was please be a vet that likes the breed and won't try to have her put down. To my suprise he kept calling her a staffy so I didn't correct him (I have a rednose quite distinctive as a pitty I think) But I'm wondering if anyone else has a pitty that has been repeatably mistaken for a staffy even by petcare professionals. They all admired how quite and tough she was while having a lovely temperment maybe if more people knew what loving quite and strong dogs they were they wouldn't have all this stupidity with BSL. post-24289-1216541496_thumb.jpg

Guest rhapsodical78

I tend to think they do know but use the term 'staffy' as a euphemism because people don't like to throw about the 'p' word these days. At least, that's the impression I've gotten with my 'staffy'. :)

I know but most vets I've come across let you know that they know but this one honestley seemed to think she was a staffy I have no prob with them knowing as long as they also are not going to ring anyone cause if they dog they will have the biggest fight on their hands to put her down. What gets me is they have your name address and phone number but if they try and bput her down after charging $1500 to reapir her tendons then I will be really annoyed and even sadder at the human race. You know on a busy road and a single female a child and two dogs stopped and covered in blood not one person stopped or even slowed down makes me wonder what is wrong with people

I dunno if many vets want to get into the pit bull debate, they are there for the dogs well being after all and that is all that should matter to them.

Very sad no one would stop to help esp the ones that saw what happened.

I have to ask, in Australia, are Amstaff and Pitty considered two distinct and seperate breeds?

I have been seeing this discussion quite frequently and now I'm curious, seems that everyone describes them as seperate down there. Just curious, in another thread I was discussing that while I used to show Amstaffs, all my Amstaffs were dual registered as Amstaffs and as American Pit Bulls. They could be shown in either breed club AKC or UKC as one or the other breed.

That doesn't mean pitbulls can be registered as Amstaffs, the AKC closed the door to pitbull breeders decades ago, but alot of Amstaffs still retain their dual regestries..so I"m curious as to the apparent distinction down there...The AKC also slapped on a few more standards to the Amstaff, one being no red nose. Hence if something has a red nose, you know it is probably registgered only as a pitbull. But if something didn't have a red nose, heck, it could be either, or and both, at least around here.

Edited by Lynai

I have to ask, in Australia, are Amstaff and Pitty considered two distinct and seperate breeds?

That's true - sort of.

Basicly: No ANKC AmStaff papers = Pitbull = restricted breed (Unless ofcourse you can prove papered AmStaff parentage).

DogsNSW (the NSW canine council) has an agreement with the NSW State Government that their papered ones will be spared from the evils of BSL.

That doesn't mean pitbulls can be registered as Amstaffs, the AKC closed the door to pitbull breeders decades ago, but alot of Amstaffs still retain their dual regestries.

The AKC's doors were re-opened for a short while in the 70's to add new bloodlines.

This happened around the same time as the name change and the SBT was recognised.

Many UKC and ADBA - APBT's became AKC American Staffordshire Terriers.

That's why so many are dual registered.

30 odd years doesn't change a breed if nothing else is added.

They're still Pitbulls. Actually - The AKC even claim the American Staffordshire Terrier as the true Pitbull.

Red noses can and do occur in AmStaffs. It just means they don't fit the standard that's all.

Back on topic -

Pittylover - Nice pic. Your little lass sounds lovely. Most vets I know prefer to treat Pitbull/Staffy types for the simple reason that they are so easy to work with. Least likely to bite or struggle.

If only people knew the truth. That's one of the many reasons the AVA wouldn't support the NSW Gov't in their witch hunt.

I am a vet nurse and I can say truthfully that our surgery does not support BSL.

Any dog we chip that has no papers - no matter if it has a bull head and muscles or looks like a Silky terrier, it is written down as a X breed with an accurate as possible description given.

Some vets are knowledgable when it comes to breed id, some you're better of asking the dog.

Most don't want to get involved with BSL. Same goes for the AVA.

Edited by rottiadora

Rottia if they put put as an as close to acurate x down for pits what do they call them? Am staff x, or staffy x?

I said "an accurate as possible description given".

For example:

Breed: X Breed or NA

Description: Medium/solid build, Short pied brown and white coat, etc

Edited by rottiadora

Beautiful dog how about a bigger pic pittylover ?

Surprisingly I dont find vets to necessarily be breed id experts some can seem pretty vague. I think iv found some that really dont know, and others that know but dont say anything.

I know what you mean. When I moved and had to find a new vet I wasnt looking forward to it. I walked into the one im at now and there was a cranky old bitch at the reception I thought yeh great. Anyway I got passed her and the vet is the NICEST lady ever. She knows what breed my dog is she dosnt care shes just a really really nice lady. Well that first day as I come out I saw a girl in the waiting area with another pitty ! I pulled her aside and talked to her she said yeh this vets great lots of pitties come here !

In Sydney no vet iv come across could care less but in these regional areas iv found people are alot more uptight about Pitties so yes I know what you mean it is nerve racking choosing a new vet.

Edited by calsonic350z

Having worked at 2 different Vet hosp, One vet I worked with wanted to muzzle all Pitties regardless of temrement, he was highly strung about other things as well, HIs partner loved them and couldn't care less. The second hospital I was in had member that started a Friends of the RSPCA and still didn't care, the health of the animal was first and foremost, we had the odd discussion as to wether or not we agreed they should be restricted, but nothing too animated. The vets liked to treat them as one came in with a smashed leg(O had no idea how it had happened, came home to a very floppy back leg)It walked in on 3 legs back leg swinging with it's tail going flat out and trying to give kisses! She was not fazed, never fliched and was a dream. I have handle more viciouc JR's. We only ever had one PItty that needed to be handled with care, his owner asked for a muzzle, let us know what his personality was like and for us to be careful. He was fine while muzzled and never moved. Our vets didn't care what they were. They were a dog just like the next one.

Hope your puppy is ok PittyLover!!

Thank goodness we have lovely vets. I took Halston in on Monday and he got hugs and gave kisses to the vet LOL. He was great about getting an injection as well as gunk stuffed up his nose. I can see why vets would like to treat these guys cause they have a high pain thershold!!

Halston's main priority at the time was to get to the bulldog pup in the waiting room :rofl: