Any Vets That Recognise Breeds

pittylover

To my suprise he kept calling her a staffy so I didn't correct him
I don't think that many vets, vet nurses or rangers know any breed too well. Why should they, they get breeds wrong consistantly, not just APB.

Hope your dog gets well soon.

edited to add that many vets don't support bsl either so could be a deliberate mistake.

Edited by Rusky

• 5 weeks later...
To my suprise he kept calling her a staffy so I didn't correct him
I don't think that many vets, vet nurses or rangers know any breed too well. Why should they, they get breeds wrong consistantly, not just APB.

Hope your dog gets well soon.

edited to add that many vets don't support bsl either so could be a deliberate mistake.

My vets know the APBT breed well, and they don't have a problem with them.

To know these dogs is to love them.

DAML

Why don't you secure them in the back with a harness and a shorter lead so they can't get over the side? It's much safer.

You wear a seatbelt don't you.

I was speaking to a man the other day who wanted to get a new dog as his dog had jumped out the back of his ute and hung itself the day before.

I hope your dog recovers. Could have been much worse.

• 3 weeks later...

]I have to ask, in Australia, are Amstaff and Pitty considered two distinct and seperate breeds?

That's true - sort of.

Basicly: No ANKC AmStaff papers = Pitbull = restricted breed (Unless ofcourse you can prove papered AmStaff parentage).

DogsNSW (the NSW canine council) has an agreement with the NSW State Government that their papered ones will be spared from the evils of BSL.

so it would be correct to say staffys are pitbulls with papers and pitbulls are staffys without papers??

Thanks for all the nice comments on the dogs and the get well wishes haven't been on in a while sykes is getting alondg well she managed not to break a bone but had scraped away basically all her ligament but is well on the way to mending she still acts like there is nothing wrong even though she still can't run on the leg (she does try) Qute 74 my dogs were both secured in the back one of the leads streched out and if not for the collar snapping my dog would not have been so badly injured but thakyou for making me fell worse about a bad situation it's really nice of you. My dogs have never had a problem before in the ute and I stopped straight away as I do keep an eye on my dogs!!!!!!!! So far she has been back in the ute quite a few times with no problems accidents happen I have known them to happen to more dogs tied than not however the law states to tie them in so I do. When I lived in the country she was nver tied and never fell out.

• Confused 1

Thanks for all the nice comments on the dogs and the get well wishes haven't been on in a while sykes is getting alondg well she managed not to break a bone but had scraped away basically all her ligament but is well on the way to mending she still acts like there is nothing wrong even though she still can't run on the leg (she does try) Qute 74 my dogs were both secured in the back one of the leads streched out and if not for the collar snapping my dog would not have been so badly injured but thakyou for making me fell worse about a bad situation it's really nice of you. My dogs have never had a problem before in the ute and I stopped straight away as I do keep an eye on my dogs!!!!!!!! So far she has been back in the ute quite a few times with no problems accidents happen I have known them to happen to more dogs tied than not however the law states to tie them in so I do. When I lived in the country she was nver tied and never fell out.

I was just making a suggestion which you can take with a grain of salt if you like. You shouldnt feel bad if you think you have secured your dog in the best way possible. Then its not your fault is it.

I was just attempting to say (which is hard to do in writing as everyone reads things differently), that perhaps a harness is safer as being secured by the neck can lead to unfortunate things like what I mentioned happening. But you didnt specify how you tied them in exactly so if you had them already in a harness good on you :rolleyes:

I hope your dog is healing well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have staffordshire bull terriers and as they are not yet on the LIST but my vet loves my girls and has never questioned them. My girl bella is due to whelp in 3 days and when i took her in for her scan he was all excited and wanted to know if i would give him 1st choice in a pup as he loves bella because she is not a standard bitch size, 18" 19kg (quite a large girl)

Some people look at me funny when I take her for a walk and some ask if she is "amstaff" and when i correct them they give a weird look and walk the other way.

I dont care of others negative opions of my dogs, i have the proof of what they are and love them no matter what and if judgemental people cant see that through rose coloured glasses well i dont care.

Sorry if i sound a bit ignorant but im sick of people judging the breed and the breed's owners on why they own that particular breed.

ITS BECAUSE WE LOVE THEM :(

• 2 weeks later...
I have to ask, in Australia, are Amstaff and Pitty considered two distinct and seperate breeds?

I have been seeing this discussion quite frequently and now I'm curious, seems that everyone describes them as seperate down there. Just curious, in another thread I was discussing that while I used to show Amstaffs, all my Amstaffs were dual registered as Amstaffs and as American Pit Bulls. They could be shown in either breed club AKC or UKC as one or the other breed.

That doesn't mean pitbulls can be registered as Amstaffs, the AKC closed the door to pitbull breeders decades ago, but alot of Amstaffs still retain their dual regestries..so I"m curious as to the apparent distinction down there...The AKC also slapped on a few more standards to the Amstaff, one being no red nose. Hence if something has a red nose, you know it is probably registgered only as a pitbull. But if something didn't have a red nose, heck, it could be either, or and both, at least around here.

lol i had that same question when i first signed up on here. In the usa staffies and pitts are the VERY same thing. In the Oz their not unless you are talking about Astaff and Ampit.

To the Op- I work at a pet salon that has a doggy day care. i know dog breeds mainly because I show dogs and have spent a lot of time getting to know breeds ect. however, the people at my work hardly know anything other then goldens, rotts, yourkies, shihtuz (Which they STILL say wrong...) Really commmon breeds.

There are people who come in in complete denal of what breed their dog is. Or even the girl i work with has a mutt that looks JUST like a pointer. EVERYTHING about the dogs shape and attudie is like a pointer. But hes a black dog. My co-worker keeps telling everyone that he is lab x great dane....but REALLY thinks he is dob x great dane but wants him to seem 'nice' and says lab instead. :thumbsup: Anyways, the point is sometimes the ppl who work in doggy fields will humor you. They dont want to upset you or have to get in an agrument about what breed your dog is or isnt.

• 2 months later...
is your pit registered as a restricted breed? or registerd as an american staffy?

also ive had staffys in the past but only black ones, do any come red nose?

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier does not come with a red nose. The correct Stafford is black and the blues have a blue or a slate nose. Liver Staffords are not common and their noses are brown.

You can chip your dog as whatever breed you like and register it as such. It will however be changed if a ranger issues you with an NOI and you fail breed assessment.

The only thing not chipping as an RB does is prevent you from having to comply with the RB legislation, it will not stop you being caught out in the long run and things are going to get a hell of a lot tougher.