Dog Incontinence Tablets

pacegalore

My sister had to rush her 15 year old fox terrier bitch to the vet after what she thought was a turn or stroke suffered in the wee hours of this morning.

As a result of this incident, the poor dog had no control of her bladder, and the frequent urination worried her greatly (she tried to clean herself up repeatedly and became ill (vomit) as a result of this)

The vet has thoroughly examined the bitch, and found that she is still healthy, no sign of stroke or anything and has injured her lower spine. She is being treated with steriods to reduce pain (although not severe) and help relax muscles for repair, and has prescribed incontinence tablets to stop the urination. The vet said it would take effect after 3-4 tablets, and will stop the urination leaks until her back settles down again.

Has anyone given these tablets to a dog before, and if so do they work? We have never heard of them before.

Our Dobe is up to two a week - one worked for a while, but then came back a bit.

I'm hoping we don't have to go further. Vet talks operation if it doesn't work, and then there is not a high success rate. Might be seeking a second opinion if that is the case.

cheers

I have used SUDAFED tablets with success. The vet prescribed two morning and two night until the incontinence stopped. Then to cut out 1 morning tablet. IF that still worked, cut out 1 night tablet. If that still worked, cut out the morning tablet altogether. IF that worked cut out the night tablet. OBVIOUSLY, I am talking about a GIANT breed so you wouldn't use or give as much for smaller or medium sized breeds.

As new drugs were tried and tested, I put her on Silboestral, just one a week, she still head the leaks and we had to incrase but she did fine on this.

The same vet told me SUDAFED had many cures.

* It dried up runny noses

* It cleared sinuses.

* It aided in incontinence problems

* It can be also used and given in a mating when the tie is too long (it helps the erection subside).

* It helps to stay awake.

Only use under veterinary/medical supervision though.

Sudafed is Pseudoephedrine - a subsatnce I cannot take - there is a history there - but...........

It seems that I am not alone. In fact a large percentage of the population cannot take this (according to my doctor) and get reactions such a racing heart, palpitations, pains in the chest, vomiting etc.

The effect tends to be cumulative.

In spite of this, the vast majority of medications for colds, flu, coughs, sinus etc all contain this.

It is a stimulant and used by some long distance drivers in the form of "No Doze" to keep awake at the wheel, often with disastrous consequnces. Students use it to keep awake also - then cannot sleep etc.

I would be pretty desperate before I gave this to anyone, let alone the dog.

cheers

I own a 14 year old English Setter whose name is JESSIE. She has been diagnosed with incontinence. My vet prescribed Stilboestrol. Initially I gave Jessie 1 tab each day for 3 days, I think, and then 1 a week for about 8 weeks. There was improvement. I then stopped the Stilboestrol on the advice of my vet and Jessie's incontinence commenced again. She is now on 1 tab of Stilboestrol once a week. She weighs 32kg. I am very happy with the results. I use natural therapies rather than drugs whenever I can and fortunately my vet has an open mind and recognises the benefits of natural therapies. He has assured me that 1 tab of Stilboestrol once a week for the remainder of her life will have no harmful effects on Jessie's health.

An even better treatment than Stilboestrol' which can have some really nasty side-effects' is Propalin. It is a liquid that is just squirted on the dog's food twice a day. Propalin has extremely few side-effects and is very effective. My beagle girl went onto it about a month ago, and I am very happy with the results. Also our clinic has a handful of clients on the treatment as well, with great results.

Noisymina, I would see if your vet will change you over to Propalin before going down the surgery route.

Will try to set this out so it makes sense :rofl:

Most cases of urinary incontinence, particularly in female dogs fall in the category of 'urinary sphincter mechanism incompetence'. Generally, this condition is oestrogen responsive - hence giving stilbeoestrol, and also why early desexing if often touted as a reason for incontinence in bitches. Although its one of the last choices - testosterone can be used to treat incontinence in male dogs but carries a higher risk of adverse effects so other avenues of treatment are usually trialled first.

The other class of drugs that can be used are the A-adrenergic drugs - which includes the staple pseudoepedrine (Sudafed) and also Propalin (only fairly recently released). These drugs work to increase the tone of the urinary sphincter.

Neither drugs is perfect - however in cases of oestrogen responsive incontinence both should work. The adrenergic drug will increase urethral sphincter tone regardless of the cause, while stilboestrol wil provide the neccessary precursors. Often cost comes into the choice of treatment. Neither is without side effects - Propalin can cause hyperexcitability, panting or anorexia, while stilboestrol (at increasing doses) can lead to the development of oestrus like behaviour and bone marrow toxicity (which is why there is an initial loading dose, then reducing to the lowest possible dose that will keep the incontinence under control). The drugs can be used in combination in certain cases - of course under guidance of your vet.

What do when neither works?

If the incontinence is causing the owner or patient a problem, then further investigation is probably indicated.

- Often there can be some underlying conformational fault in the urinary tract somewhere that may become exaggerated with age.

- Chronic, subclinical urinary tract infections are another possibility - chronic irritation of the bladder lining can lead to occasion, uninintenional contractions of the muscular wall and let small amounts of urine escape. There are other drugs that can be used to control the signs of this - but getting rid of (or at least attempting to) the infection is important rather than modifying the behaviour of the bladder. Chronic irritation and inflammation of the urethra can usually be managed well with medical treatment.

- Neurological causes should be at least considered in the investigation. Often these cases will have urine dribbling, but with a full bladder.

- In older dogs, the possibility of a tumour interfering with the function of the sphincter should be considered. These are usually diagnosed either visually doing an exploratory laparotomy or using ultrasound. Unfortunately, although chemotherapy can be used for palliation they nearly always turn up in the "trigone" of the bladder which is difficult to operate on. Also, by the time it begins to cause clinical signs, it has often already become locally invasive.

Now that list isn't meant to scare anyone - I just thought I might as well be thorough (and besides, it gave me some reason to avoid studying something else :rofl:)

Hi Riayn

I am interested in your post that Stilboestrol can have some really nasty side-effects. As you are a vet nurse, you must have evidence to substantiate this statement. I would appreciate your elaboration on this issue and I will discuss the information you provide with my vet. Fortunately he is not ego driven nor $$$$'s driven like some vets, and he will be happy to discuss this matter with me. He has been my vet for more than 20 years so I am surprised with your statement though am certainly not discrediting your statement as I am not a vet nurse. However the majority of the dogs I have owned throughout my life, both purebred and crossbreed have had very special health requirements and they have all lived longer than the average life expectancy of a healthy dog of their breed or crossbreed due to the expertise and caring of my vet and because of my love for them obviously. Take Jessie, for instance, my English Setter who is 14 years old. She has serious hip displaysia, serious arthritis, a proliferation of lipomas and yet she is still going strong. My vet would not knowlingly prescribe a treatment for me which would have really nasty side-effects as he knows how much my dogs (and my horses and my birds) mean to me. He also keeps up to date with the latest trends in veterinary medicine

Susan,

I'm not Riayn, but in answer to your question, Stilboestrol does have the potential to cause some nasty side effects. However, at the doses normally required for controlling incontinence they are highly unlikely. Most of the documented effects apply to an injectable form in an oil bases that is not available in Australia - where only the oral form is used.

The side effects can be bone marrow aplasia which is usually dose-responsive but is rarely caused by the oral formulation. High doses can precipitate endometrial hyperplasia (again, dose responsive) and are more of a problem if the administration coincides with progesterone. High doses in young bitches may induce malignant ovarian adenocarcinomas - however most cases requiring its use are in mature adult bitches.

It is rarely a concern given that the aim of treatment with stilboestrol is to give the minimum possible dose that will maintain an appropriate effect - often only one tablet a week. At this level, the documented "nastiness" is unlikely to be a concern.

Hi all

Our 11 1/2 year old Stafford was incontinent for a while which was a big problem as she sleeps in the bed under the doona. It only seemed to happen mainly during sleep. So we tried herbal alternatives first (we also have a brilliant vet and would use anything she suggested so while I use alternative therapies we also use conventional whenever necessary I like a good mix of both) We put her on Cranberry Tablets in case it was a UTI and Gingko Biloba as it helps with memory.

We also put a nappy on her at night (which she didn't mind) as there was no way we would not have her in bed (well she wouldn't accept that)! It only took a few days and that had worked for the most part after 10 days there were no further accidents I kept her on that for about a month and now over 6 months later she hasn't had a problem again. No nappies & no tablets. So if the other options aren't working these may help someone.