Split Webbing

Hi all,

Any idea's if anything can help my boy? He has split the webbing between his toes. Poor thing it must be sore as he is doing alot of licking at it.

I have looked and cannot see anything causing irritation now, I am not sure what if anything caused it to split.

Thanks in advance

If you are sure it's not a grass seed or something else in there it hopefully should heal up naturally.

You could get some warm salty water and soak his foot in it for a while, then dry his foot off and put something like betadine on it.

Licking might hinder it's healing so maybe you could put an elizabethan collar on him or wrap his foot up in something so he can't get to it.

These things just happen sometimes :laugh:

I would also just clean it, and stop the licking, however still let air get to it......something yucky to taste should do the trick like betadine or diluted detol as PP suggested !

My boy has split webbing atm, it was cut by the vet to get out a grass seed tho, but he has pulled the stitches before it was healed properly.

The vet is using that coflex bandaging on it, to hold the paw together while it heals. He said what we don't want is the paw spreading, which is what it does everytime he puts it down. The coflex will keep the pads together and stop the spreading as such....maybe try that? If you do try that, he also said that if coflex/vetwrap gets wet, it will tighten; so just be aware of that.

I hadn't thought about a grass seed, so I will double check to make sure. Thanks

It does seem to be a problem when he walks, because it keeps spreading. I do have some bandages in my 'pet first aid kit' but not sure the he will be happy to keep this on.

Well my boy hates elastoplast ( and as it turns out it actually allergic to it ffs) but the vetwrap/coflex stuff he leaves mostly alone. You can wrap up over the the first joint and it still has enough give that it is flexible for them so wont worry them when they walk/run etc. And because it sticks to itself, you wrap it on and kinda press it and it moulds on....almost impossible for them to find an end to pull on etc.

I got mine from the vets ( $7.70) but I am pretty sure the daughter paid 4 bucks at the stock place for her horse. Chemists stock something similiar too called Co Ban, but I am unsure of the price. Can't speak more highly of this stuff for ease of bandaging etc

Thanks for all the reply's I will see how he is today, he looks to have left in alone overnight. Yes the vet may well be the right option. It is really comforting to know that when you find these things out of hours that there are people on here with good ideas to help in the interim :laugh:

I would be seeing a vet, if only for something to stop him licking it.

Zero has a bittering agent that we put on his sores - he hates the taste! One lick and he won't even try again. It's safe too - it's actually for cows and horses but works well on dogs too.

Edited by ~*Shell*~