Reverse Sneezing

sas

I hope I'm interpreting it correctly, my older girl used to from time to time make a sound almost like a reverse sneeze but it would kinda sound like she was choking at the same time, back then it happened once in a blue moon and would only last for about 5 seconds.

Lately it's been happening more and goes for longer, she's perfectly fine after and doesn't seem to have any ill effects.

I remember hearing something about this kinda of condition but couldn't recall what people attributed it to, anyone familiar with it?

When she did it last year a few times I took her to the Vets as I had heard that it was one of the symptoms of DCM but they checked her over and gave her the thumbs up.

Both my paps do the reverse sneezing, one way more than the other.

The vet said they can even learn to do it if they are rewarded for it in some way....which is what we were finding, as I would be slathering the attention on him & worried as hell. And of course this dog loves the attention :)

I modified my behaviour to just matter of factly picking him up and taking him to his water bowl saying " have a drink". Now on the odd time he does it, I just say " get a drink" and he goes himself (mostly)

The theory with getting a drink ( or making them swallow) is that it 'resets' the soft palate.

I wonder if your girl is a smart cookie and is 'learning' that doing it has its rewards??

Often a soft palette problem, excitement is often a trigger.

Some fixes:

Hold dog under chest and flick his nose down and under to flick the soft palette back into place.

Cover nose and make the dog breath through his mouth.

Tip a small amount of lemon juice or (safe) strong tasting liquid into mouth which will make the dog move his tongue and think about something else.

Hope that helps .

a poodle X i used to have would do this. the vet we had reccomended Glycerine. clearly he didnt have to clean up after her :confused: we found she had leaned to do it for attention, so for a whle we stopped paying it attention, and instantly ti would stop.

then when i moved out, mum began to fuss over her again. the prob seems to have stoped completely thought.

Guest Tess32

Reilly does it....it looks like he's breathing very hard through his nose like he can't breath....lasts for about 10 seconds and he seems to do it when he's been outside etc.

One of our Deerhounds does this. Stress can exacerbate it. When she did it we used to rub under her throat ot open her mouth to make her yawn which can be hard as their muscles are rigid. Normally now we ignore as it does go away. Our Vet said that the worst thing that could happen would be that they would lose consciousness which would correct the problem instantaneously. Luckily this has never happened.

haha go to beagle meet up at Castle Hill one day and see the breeders covering dogs noses as they all get so excited mixing with other beagles. I think it is the most common asked question. Yes one of my girls does it too :confused: