Ndtf Cert 111 Canine Behaivour And Training

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the first assessment back before i did my first block trainig - had to redo a part of it, and have yet to find out if i passed that or not :thumbsup:

Got assessment 3 yesterday, and emailed them asking about assessment 2, and got that back this morning.

I am still tossing up whether to join next year or not. I guess it will depend if I get into the DDU at AQIS.

I want to do that to.

I might be doing the course next year.

Yeah I applied for the DDU and didn't get through as they only took internal AQIS people. So now trying for a regular inspector position and will try and get into the DDU that way.

Am still really interested in doing the course but it will depend on if I have time off next year (depending on which job I'm at - current or AQIS).

Bummer they only took internal people poocow.

Yeah I know, tell me about it Kavik :scared:

I spoke to the head of the DDU and the impression I got was that I would get through if I had the training in quarantine (4 weeks full time - Certificate in Government). So thats what I'm doing.

I still want to do the NDTF course, will just depend on my annual leave situation.

poocow, I would suggest doing the NDTF course (or any course) as this would look favourable for when it comes time to apply.

It is very difficult to get into the DDU although they do advertise vacancies every now and again, but not very often. If you get into AQIS as an inspector, you can put your hand up to help rove with the DDU which will assist you with your goal.

Good luck

poocow, I would suggest doing the NDTF course (or any course) as this would look favourable for when it comes time to apply.

It is very difficult to get into the DDU although they do advertise vacancies every now and again, but not very often. If you get into AQIS as an inspector, you can put your hand up to help rove with the DDU which will assist you with your goal.

Good luck

Thanks Kelpie-i :eek:

It will really just depend if I get into AQIS and then have enough annual leave to be able to take a week off for the course. If not I may have to wait until later in the year.

Finished the first block training last week, really good, i throughly enjoyed the training part.

we got stuffed around a bit though, one day they didn't pick up some of the students till nearly and hour and a half late!!

but other than some annoying little things it was overall a pretty good week.

hows everyone else been finding it so far??

and what have you chosen/chose for the complex skill assessment??

• 1 month later...

I've done both blocks and was told to bring a dog. So i took my dog (all the way from qld) both times only to have her sit in the kennels most of the week. I do agree though using other dogs is great experience but they could have told us not to bring dogs. Cost me $350 both trips to Melbourne for just her.

mmm maybe they keep changing the structure. the only part that annoyed me was that i had to pay so much money to get the dog there, because it was good to have hands on experience with other dogs, oh well, i now just think of it as an experience for my dog if i ever have to kennel her and fly her, (she was only 6months at the first block)

isnt it funny, i was the other way - i rather handle my own dog, so i could pay more attention to what was going on in class, felt if i had another dog, i would spend more time watching it, than listening. I handle dogs every day, so getting different experience with different breeds wasnt important to me

I've just started teaching th basics, ( i dont know yet either)

i've started by conditioning my dogs to the clicker, and i am starting th basics of targeting(i thought it might come in handy)

It's funny you should say that targeting might come in handy. Sometimes my dog won't come when called cause she thinks she's in a game where she can't get caught by me so i hold out my hand and tell her to 'touch' and she will always come to that and touch ????

hmm thats strange, really good thing though.

they emailed me with my assessment 1 results this morning, passed that, thats all good. now just waiting on the three others i've done so far.

i have my tracking and man trailing elective block next w/e, that should be good.

What are they Jessica?

From what i have seen, they have different things for each group?

We got offered the main course, then we could do either Assistance Dogs or Detection Dogs. I talked to someone else who got offered 5 different things?

I have to get started on the agility assessment, i am really stuck on it, i dont understand it at all :D