Giving Tablets

Laurenn

I had Lilli desexed last week and unfortunately she has an infection. The vet gave her some tablets to help clear it up but it is becoming a battle of the wills to get her to take the 1/4 tablet every morning and night. Not to mention the teeth marks in our hands. We even tried crushing it in her food but the litttle monkey found the tablet parts and spearted it from the food.

Any advice on how to give tablets without the dramatics? :rolleyes:

I've been very lucky with Jedda - she's sooooo easy to give tablets to!

But there was one occasion when she was on antibiotics and she just REFUSED to take them! Opening her mouth was a major issue and then getting her to swallow the tablets was even harder.

When I went back to the vet for a follow-up appointment I told him that she hated the tablets so he gave me some more "palatable" ones. Problem solved!

May be worth asking your vet.

1/4 of a tablet shouldn't be too big, what I do for the fat worming tablets D gets is stick it in his mouth to the side of his tongue down his throat. I just push it down a little bit -- sure it is uncomfortable but it gets the job done. I give him a treat before and a treat after but I bet that doesn't make up for it! :rolleyes:

Is she the cav in your avatar? get someone to hold her in their arms then quickly go up and do it, try not to make too big a deal about it.

I think you can get pill poppers, but there is a novelty/fear that comes with them so I just use my hands.

Yep that's the devilish Cav in question. The 1/4 of the tablet is quite tiny but she has some 6th sense and knows exactly what we're doing and locks her jaws.

I was nearly in tears as she was trying to get away and carrying on with my partner holding her, last night. It took us almost an hour after she spat it out and carried on. I felt terrible even though it is for her own good.

Laurenn

what "technique" are you using ... with Lucy I push in the sides of her jaw (where the top jaw meets the bottom jaw on each side) then when her mouth pops open a little I pull her bottom jaw down stuf fthe tablet as far back as I can then shut her mouth and hold it shut while I stroke her neck until she swallows.

With Bayley he is such a guts I just stuff it in some food and he eats it

Guest MyheroBayley

I had that problem with Bayley when he was about 4 months and what I did was cut a decent size cube of raw meat slit a hole and stuff the tablet into it and press it down and um it was gone in 0.5 secs

Laurenn, its so hard isn't it? I'm not sure about for dogs but they have these syringe like things for cats that shoot the tablet towards the back of the throat. Maybe ask your vet? I have become immune to the carryings on of the dogs for tablets after worming the cats. I had so many scratches I cried.

When I tried to use that technique for Bayley I ended up with slobber halfway up my arm. Yuck! Acutally one thing that helped for Bayley was to get those frozen hamburger patties, thaw them in the microwave, give him a balled up bit (just plain) then wrap some around part of a tablet. I dont know if this will help? I know you said she ate around the tablet before but maybe if its different food to her usual it will be too tempting?

It's probably not the right thing to do BUT when I have to give Lani(my 14 month old cavalier) a tablet, I put it in a little bit of peanut butter, roll it in to a ball and down it goes! Because it's sticky, she can't spit the tablet out. You wouldn't need much for a 1/4 tablet. I also make her sit and she thinks it's a treat.

Good Luck!

Soniq: That's where I got the idea from-Lani wouldn't eat her dry food when she was a puppy, so I put it in the Kong-loved the peanut butter but still wouldn't eat the dry food :rolleyes: I have since discovered that she likes to eat her dry food if I put it in her bean bag or on the ground-part of her upbringing with 14 other puppies! :laugh: (but that's for another thread!)

My poor cat gets the same treatment as the dog does, hand reaching down to the middle of the muzzle so that the base of your hand is perhaps covering the eyes. Tilt head back carefully with fingers sliding into part the jaws a little tilting the head up gives them little choice and then toss in the tablet followed by the free hands finger a little if needed. Then hold the muzzle closed and gently rub the throat and if that doesn't work gently blow in their nose. Followed by a nice treat.

Nice and quick but i've been doing it that way for years and generally with big dogs so...*shrugs*

Cheese is also a great way to disguise tablets, small square of cheese, push the tablet in then toss to the dog, usually cheese is eaten quick and with little to no chewing..hehe.

Kit

I would say your stuffing around to much being cautious instead of being quick & confidient.

Its very easy place dog on a table ,with a firm but gentle grip say sit open mouth quickly place tablet in mouth then blow into the dogs throat.

It takes all of 5 secs but the longer you take the more wary the dog becomes.

The food trip more than often works but we just place tab there blow rub throat asap & its all done

Just had out first success!!

Evidently, I was "stuffing around too much" and worrying about hurting her. Lilli just learnt the open command in an hour. Wooo hooo...

We tried it with peanut butter, smackos and her tablet. Five more days of tablets...so hopefully by the end my cheeky little monkey will have learnt a new trick and take her tablets without acting like a drama queen.

Showdog's absolutely right - dont stuff around.

Also, our dogs take tablets much better when they are HUNGRY (funny that)

Skip a meal and they wolf it down, hidden in some mince or soft cheese and placed in the dish. Zoom! Gone!

THEN ..... they can have their meal :rolleyes: