Brother And Sister Labs Arriving In Sept

cocosonni

I was hoping i could get some much needed hints on how to set out the sleeping arrangements with my 2 new pups .They are pets for my 2 children ages 9,11.So of course they were hoping to have their babies sleep in the room with them.I'm not sure how that will work.I was thinking They go into The Bathroom at night and let out(backyard) in the morning when hubby gets up then goes back in til the kids get up and play and brekky then put them in the backyard with Toys until I arrive home from work at 2pm.Does that sound Ok?I have so many questions,I am determined to get it right and have 2 well mannered well behaved new members of out family.Thanks in advance

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps have a look into Crate training. There are LOTS of threads on here about crate training, and lots of websites on the net. Also worth reading "Before you get your puppy" which you can get for free from here http://www.siriuspup.com/beforebook.html

Good luck, I'm sure lots of other people will be able to offer you lots of sound advice on here.

We need pictures when they arrive :rofl:

I agree with Bailey, crate training could be a good idea to look at.

If you are going to have them stay in the bathroom at night, be prepared for some heartbreaking whining(although they will be able to keep each other company which might make it a bit better)...that was my lab puppies trick, she cried so much that i ended up letting her sleep on the end of my bed :rofl: I am waaay to soft!!

Good luck with everything. I am sure they will make two lovely additions to the family

Edited by LabrADORE

I would not get two puppies at once. They bond to eachother rather than their people, plus it's a mammoth task to try to train two puppies.

Though you say they are pets for your young children it will be you that does the training, feeding cleaning etc., Puppies, bite, nip, tear your clothes and children get pretty sick of being nipped with needle sharp puppy teeth and scratched with puppy claws.

It's very time consuming and frustrating trying to toilet train even one puppy let alone two of them. You know puppies need to be taken outside every hour to house train them at the beginning and you need to get up at least twice during the night to take them outside to eliminate. If you plan on leaving them in a bathroom all night then be prepared to clean up puppy poop and urine first thing in the morning before you can use the bathroom. Should I mention the smell :rofl:

Are these puppies coming from a registered, ethical breeder because most ethical breeders prefer not to sell a pup to anyone who already has a puppy under 12 months of age. edited to add I noticed you said they are Labs. Very lively puppies indeed.

Personally I wouldn't do it because I don't think it's good for the puppies and it's very difficult for the owner to raise two well behaved obedient puppies at the same time. To further put a damper on the situation I would never leave young baby puppies outside in the yard alone during the day. They will get up to mischief, eat the inedible, dig under the fence, wreck the garden and it's too darn cold to leave young puppies outside this weather.

Edited by cavNrott

I would not get two puppies at once. They bond to eachother rather than their people, plus it's a mammoth task to try to train two puppies.

Personally I wouldn't do it because I don't think it's good for the puppies and it's very difficult for the owner to raise two well behaved obedient puppies at the same time.

To further put a damper on the situation I would never leave young baby puppies outside in the yard alone during the day.

They will get up to mischief, eat the inedible, dig under the fence, wreck the garden and it's too darn cold to leave young puppies outside this weather.

I agree

The damage they do to themself is enough for me to say not a good idea.

All that rough play, when there bones and muscles are forming.

We had several people ask to buy 2 puppies at once.

They were told no, for the above reasons.

Hi there. I have one lab puppy and she's handful enough. I'll leave others to advise on the one pup/two pup dilemma — I didn't know that about rough-housing and growing bones, although it does makes sense. That said, I'm sure getting two puppies isn't unprecedented.

But I will say that puppies should not be left outside when they're young. (How old will they be, by the way?)

I keep Martha in the bathroom, which has a very cosy den-like bed (not a crate, but I think if I'd discovered this website BEFORE I got her I would have started with a crate) and is completely puppy-proofed. She is in safely tucked away in there WHENEVER I cannot directly supervise her, and I intend to keep it that way until she's old enough to date!

It sounds like they will only be alone from 8.30am-ish to 2pm — is that right? That's five and a half hours — longer than a puppy can hold their bladder. Crate trainers would be able to help you with how that would work with a crate, but in the bathroom you can create a pad or paper "bathroom" on the opposite side of the room from the crate or bed.

Is there any way you or anyone else could stay home for the first week or so? A lot of people schedule holidays when they get their new puppy. Possible? I work from home so this was never a problem for me. To be honest, I don't know how others manage.

I know it's daunting, but don't let it put you off. You just need to research and plan plan plan. Best of luck and keep us informed.

I agree fully with cavNrott. For all the reasons mentioned, this could turn into something you will regret doing.

Also, like Sway, I have had people wanting to buy two pups from me, and have talked them out of it.

This is not a decision to be made lightly, both for your happiness, and that of the pups.

Julie

Maybe you could say that the boys can get a puppy when they turn 11. So you get one puppy now, one puppy when the nine-year-old turns eleven in two years.

I hope you don't feel depressed with all this advice, but it's better that you hear it now. You are actually VERY lucky to have breeders giving you advice. My puppy was a gift, like yours will be for your sons, and I wish my friends had done a bit of research before they bought Martha, cause they did many things wrong, including buying from a backyard breeder who let the pups go too early and could not identify the puppy's sex!

Getting a puppy from a less-than-worthy breeder has really politicised me. If there's a risk you may feel the same way, you want to feel that BEFORE you get the puppies, not after. If your breeder hasn't expressed any disquiet about handing over two pups, you may want to check his or her credentials.

Remember, with Labradors puppyhoood lasts until around two. A couple of weeks ago someone told me this old aphorism: Labradors are such great dogs to make up the fact you didn't kill them when they were puppies. Martha is the biggest and boofiest at puppy school. (She's also... ahem... the cleverest. Well, at least in my estimation.) Two like her? It would be more than I can handle, even working from home.

Please let us know what you're thinking. If you're really committed to buying two then obviously the advice will change.

Remember, with Labradors puppyhoood lasts until around two. A couple of weeks ago someone told me this old aphorism: Labradors are such great dogs to make up the fact you didn't kill them when they were puppies. Martha is the biggest and boofiest at puppy school. (She's also... ahem... the cleverest. Well, at least in my estimation.) Two like her? It would be more than I can handle, even working from home.

Please let us know what you're thinking. If you're really committed to buying two then obviously the advice will change.

Good point botheration. As a foster carer, we have had our fair share of labs dumped in the pound around the 6 - 8 month mark, most likely because of their destructive tendencies. My coffee table has a chewed corner as testament to this. In fact one of the rescue organisations I fostered for would only let lab "teenagers" go to homes who had owned a lab before because she knew then that the owners had a clear picture of what they were taking on.

To the OP, good luck with your decision.

EFS

Edited by kamuzz

:angel: Two Lab puppies is madness!!

I am an experienced dog owner and one puppy at a time is enough for me!!

If you plan on leaving them in the bathroom overnight be prepared to kiss your bathroom good bye. There will be poo and pee everywhere in the morning plus whatever they have decided to chew... perhaps the vanity or they might start on the walls first (if they're anything like my pup!).

I realise now to reneg on one childs puppy would be near impossible but you are going to be flat off your feet.

Definitely invest in crates, they will be your saviour :laugh:

I'm actually a little surprised someone sold you two pups together.

Good luck, and looking forward to some piccies of the dynamic duo (or terrible twins :cry: ) :cry:

Remember, with Labradors puppyhoood lasts until around two.

.----------------------------------------

I keep Martha in the bathroom, which has a very cosy den-like bed (not a crate, but I think if I'd discovered this website BEFORE I got her I would have started with a crate) and is completely puppy-proofed

Two? Try 4 :laugh:

It's never too late to crate train if you think it would help down the track.

I tried with my Rotti when he was around 2 and he tore straight through it (soft crate), but now I'm training a pup I'm training the Rotti too in wire crate and he's 4. Have to admit there are moments already that I'm glad I can crate him and we've only been doing it a few weeks.

Hi WOW..Didn't quite expect the hints i got,but thanks for it anywayz.I am getting the 2 pups from a reputable breeder here in QLD,She is a member of the CCCQ,She has been breeding Labs for 20 yrs.I am 100% confident My children will be responsible for their dogs,Like i told them they are family dogs not just one persons responsibility.I had puppies growing up German Shephards,And i do remember the hard work,And i know our Family is more than ready for it.I have already found our Obedience school so when the pups turn 10 weeks the kids will be taking them weekly.I was 10 when i First went to obedience with my pup,So I am certain that my children will enjoy it maybe not quite as much as the puppies though,lol.I went to the pet stores today and I was speaking to the sales lady,who was soooooooo Heplful,She has convinced me to try the crate training.So that answers my question,on whether to have them sleeping in the bathroom.Oh and just to add.I am Fully aware that it takes ALOT!!! of time and perserverance to raise lovely family dogs,I got the impression from a few of you that i was going into this with rose coloured glasses on,But i can asssure you I am not,And neither Are my Kids or Hubby.So Good Luck to us,Even If a few of You think I am doing the wrong thing.

I am 100% confident My children will be responsible for their dogs,

I hope you're right! :cry:

Also- taking pups to obedience school at ten weeks is maybe not a good idea, as they will not be fully vaccinated, and are at risk of potentially fatal diseases like PARVO . :laugh:

Glad you found a helpful person to advise you !

Have a read :angel:Here

and your boys may find thisinteresting

also- have a look around here

have fun with your two !

As someone with two children not too far off the ages of your two, I can say with confidence that they would not be capable of being 100% responsible for one pup let alone two. Sure they would be promising to help out at the thought of a pup, but the commitment just wouldn't be there from kids so young.

I do however wish you all the best with your new additions and I do realise that every family and person (and dog) is different so I am not out to judge you.

Good luck with them :angel:

What colour labs are they? Hope they have some differences so you can tell them apart easily :cry:

BDL

ETA: Just re read your original post and saw that they are brother and sister so I didn't need to ask about what sex they were :laugh: oops!

ETA 2: And that also fixes the problem of being able to tell them apart easily :cry:

Edited by BIG-DOG-LOVER

Thanks big dog Lover,But Respectfully you do not know my Children.And as I said Before They are Family dogs.So we all share the responsibility,What I was meaning is that i have no worries at all thinking my children will Do the right thing with our pups.Not that they will do 100% of the care of the dogs.Maybe I need to make myself clearer.

Edited by cocosonni