Optimum Dog Food Anyone Tried It?

I was getting cat food at the supermarket today and came across a dog food that I hadn't seen before. It called OPTIMUM - nutrition for life made by Waltham, I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and what it is like?

It comes in puppy, active, overweight, mature and adult - large breeds or small medium breeds.

Made with real beef or chicken with rice and vegetables.

contains antioxidants

No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives added.

goes on with more...can detail if you like?

sounded alright so thought I might try it, bought a small bag but thought I'd check with everyone else first to see if they had used it and what they found it to be like.

thanks Nadia, I didn't realise it was replacing principle. I've tried principle before with no success with Harves, didn't work as good as his nutrience. I'll give this one a go just incase it has changed.

Thanks also Amie, I saw natures gift to and wasn't sure if I should try it or not. I think it would go far to quickly in our house but would be good if we have to go out, being in those satchels.

I got a little bag of Nature's Gift treats that look pretty good! I'm going to try them out for training. I think they will work considering that Aaron's family's dog has been getting agro with me everytime he sees the packet still unopened. He knows they're not for him hahaha. I fobbed him off with liver treats this morning. He had this look that said "I'll forgive you this time, but I'm going to be there when you open that!"

Hi,

I spoke to the rep today who looks after the whole pedigree/optimum/advance range (as they are made by the same company) .

He said that the new optimum range is exactly the same product as the principal but with new packaging. They have made the label brighter in an attempt to sell it better.

It is one of the better supermarket brands, but it is still not a touch on the premium foods that are available in vets and pet shops.

Jess

I agree with you my dog D'arcy is on a premiun food from the vets it has a awful name obesity as the name applies it is for ovwerweight dogs he was 42 kilos he is now down to 40kilos my vet is very happy she wants he to go down to 35kilos still long way to go. It is very hard but i know im doing the best for my dog. He coat is shiny and he looks well.

darcy

Edited by darcy1234

I have been buying the canned food for the boys to replace the BARF patties I was making, (I think I was screwing it up, and we really need the extra freezer space). But they are still on chicken necks, and a lot of other raw bones. I am going to try the dry food sachettes soon as well since the canned stuff is so good. I know that with the canned food you end up feeding less because it has concentrated nutrience (or something like that :rofl: ).

I buy the 700 gram cans and with the two dogs (which works out to be less then a doller a day with the two of them), I find it lasts for around 3 days (although they are toy breeds :clap::rofl: ). They also have a little dry food in the morning, and a chicken neck or a briskot bone. Fitz is actually putting on weight! A huge accomplishment for us, and him! :rofl:

Here is a link if you want to have a look around the site, it looks really good, and they are an Australian company, they also use all human grade products, which is pretty important to me :(

http://www.naturesgift.com.au/

I hope they decide to sell their dry food in actual bags, I am also a little uncertain how long it will last with both the boys, but I will give it a go and see how it is :) .

Optimum isnt replacing Principal, is it?

In the cat food variety, it replaced T.O.P which is a Whiskas brand of premium cat food.

Is Optimum replacing Principal in the dog variety of premium PAL?

Natures gift rocks.

I used to get TOP and Purina (diff brand) for my cats, but now have switched them to Supercoat cat food for half the price. :rofl:

$10 for a 4kg bag instead of $10 for a 2kg back. :rofl:

Supermarket brand premium is fine, I cuoldnt justify spending more on my pets food than my kids. :rofl:

FF &A I am also a Natures Gift feeder :rofl:

Kody has a tin as his evening meal and he love's it !!

morning meal for both dogs of cause is - BARF , but at night I find it easy

to open up a can and serve , Oh and no difference in the Poo's by the way :rofl:

Well I ended up trying them on the bag I bought anyways and Molly loves it, she didn't like nutrience vey much. Harvey will eat it, made a mixture of nutrience and optimum and he picked out the nutrience first though. Haven't checked him for allergies yet, just about to now.

I've had to cut back a bit on what I am spending at the moment as tafe is taking its toll.

I'm deciding between Purina One and Optimum at the moment. I guess I will see what the dogs like the most. Or is there another brand around the same price that is better. probably around $4 a kilo is the limit atm.

Thanks for the tip weeacre.

Ive noticed the same thing Griff and if anything they are looking heaps better on it, I think I was leaving something out of the BARF, and our freezer could not fit another thing in it anyway, lol.

I had heard lots of good things about it, and after reading the ingredients list, I thought it was probably the best option in the commercial variety :D

My Boys love it too, and get really excited when they see the can, lol.

Edited to add I hope Harvey has stayed clear of the allergies :p :rofl::)

Edited by Fitz, Frosty and Amie

Harvey had a slight reaction to optimum (we think - that or the strassburg stuff he got for training instead of his liver treats). I ended up buying a bag of purina one and mixed it with his nutrience for dinner (having a slack night as didn't realise I was out of chicken mince) He didn't have any reactions to that. I might keep Molly on Optimum as she wasn't fussed with the purina one at all and Harvey on purina one. I worked out it will save me about $350 a year compared to what he was on before and when he is handling it ok and its still ok food for him, I don't see the problem.

I must pick up a can of natures gift incase I run out of chicken mince again. Sounds like its worked pretty well for you guys.

Well better go look out for his droopy eyes its been 30 ins since he has eaten so if he reacts to it, it should show by now.

edited to add: Harvey has passed the allergy test, his eyes are fine!!! Purina one it is for him.

Edited by Leah&Harves

• 3 weeks later...

>>I hope they decide to sell their dry food in actual bags (re: Nature's Gift)

I really like Nature's Gift. I'm pretty fussy about what I feed my animals because there is a LOT of dodgy stuff that goes into pet foods. I mean why would they put good quality meats into pet foods when they can sell it to humans for our own consumption? Anyway regarding Nature's Gift selling larger quantities one of their reps told me there isn't enough demand for it - so get emailing and phoning them! The more people who contact them, the more likely we are to get it.

They have a feedback / comments section on their website. http://www.naturesgift.com.au/contact/

Also TOP has been discontinued, not sure about Principal, so I assumed Optimum was the new TOP.

PS. new here so nice to meet you all.