Stressing Out

Guest Kierrasmommy

Guest Kierrasmommy

Hello all !

Well I am kinda stressing out and hoping someone can help me out here !

Kierra is on Sentinel Spectrum ( Mini Poodle weighs 1.7 Kilos) she is on the Very small dogs dosage.

My worries are that every time I give it to her ( once a month ) she throws up with in 6 - 8 hours , wont eat , sleeps and is constipated.

I have told the VET every time he said he did not think it was this pill. So I called him tonight and told him again because I gave her pill to her yesterday and well last night threw up in the bed :rolleyes: she has NEVER done that ! Poor baby.

I gave her some beef stew tonight and she ate it up no issues and she is playing now . But this AM she was not interested at all.

Anyways, what you do all think ?? Allergic ?? Should we go with somthing else ? And if so what ? Then if we do what can i do to get ridof these 6 BRAND NEW tablets I got for her ! They are all still sealed in the box !

HELP !

Thanks

Brandi

Brandi, I'm no vet, nor even an expert in this sorta stuff.. but it does seem far to coincidental that she throws up and is sick every time she has these tablets for my liking.

Maybe try calling another vet for a second or third opinion.. or the helpline on the back of the packaging?

But if she is throwing the tablet up, then she isn't getting the full protection from it, so she may need to be re-dosed (ask vet first)

Poor little thing, feel sorry for the little mite.

Guest Kierrasmommy

okay Kierra is going to the Vet today this morning she now has really runny poo and it is yellow :rolleyes: so i called a different vet they said it is not normal and to bring her in ! I will let you all know :laugh:

Guest Kierrasmommy

well just got back from the vet.

Kierra is indeed alleric to the sentinel. She has been sick all day with runny poos and they are yellow my poor baby.

She gets chicken and rice for the next 4 days then we are going to try her on Advocate. As it goes on the back of her neck and is not a pill. As well as it does not have hook wormer in it ( which is what they believe may be making her sick ) My poor baby is so sick... :wave: the dr says she has a good temp and is looking healthy just to give her water and the chicken and rice only..

Soo thats what my school holidays we will be doing. She as to get fixed next week but I dont know if thats going to happen now.. thats okay I dont want her sick when it happens not a good start !

Thank You for those who helped me out and asking how she is going. I hope this passes quickly with her and this NEW medicine will work.

The good part is the Vet said they would buy back the medicine from me if indeed this new one works since I have 6 brand new pills :idea: SO YEAH :love: thats cool huh :p

I will keep you all posted :D

um.. Keirasmummy do you have a flea problem where you are or is this treatment more in the nature of a preventative one.

The reason I ask is because unless you are actually finding fleas on Keira, I wouldn't bother using any flea treatment. I figure why increase the chemical load on a dog unless you really need to.

I prefer to give a three monthly all wormer (Drontal) and not bother with flea treatments - to date I've never needed them. :wave:

My toy poodle is sensitive to some worming products (notably oral heartwormers) but has no issues with Drontal. Even a quarter of a 10 kg dog tablet would be enough for your little girl!

Guest Kierrasmommy
um.. Keirasmummy do you have a flea problem where you are or is this treatment more in the nature of a preventative one.

The reason I ask is because unless you are actually finding fleas on Keira, I wouldn't bother using any flea treatment. I figure why increase the chemical load on a dog unless you really need to.

I prefer to give a three monthly all wormer (Drontal) and not bother with flea treatments - to date I've never needed them. :wave:

My toy poodle is sensitive to some worming products (notably oral heartwormers) but has no issues with Drontal. Even a quarter of a 10 kg dog tablet would be enough for your little girl!

I havent seen any flees however, she has been on the pills to make sure I dont either. And I have only been in the country Since June so i am not to sure to be honest what the flees are like here on the Coast. What I have been told is they can get harsh.

The vet did say if she gets sick on the advocate then it has to do with the heartworming and that we will have to find another way around it for her.

I am really hoping that this one works and doesnt make her sick !

Hopefully some Gold Coast DOLers can advise you on the fleas. I don't know anything about their prevalence in Queensland!

Lily the toy poodle often vomited after oral heartworm treatment (I used monthly ones), and was particularly bad if that treatment coincided with a three monthly all wormer. She now has the injection but has it 6 months after her C5 vaccination with no ill effects.

Hope that helps!

Guest Kierrasmommy

Thank you poodlefan !

It helps to know that there is someone else out there with the same type of illness ! Poor little poodles just cant take it !

I will keep you all updated and for sure let the vet know of what works for your pups never know may work for mine :wave:

thanks again

Guest Kierrasmommy

ohh i dont think this runny poo is ever going to end ! :wave: as I was writting the other thread she was pooing in her sleep :idea: Time for some chicken and rice !

We are in Q'ld - half way to Gold Coast from Bne.

No fleas for 25 years here.

I agree - forget the flea chemicals unless there is a problem - and a recurrent one at that. Even a "one off" does nor necessarily mean a need for permanent administration of chemicals for "prevention".

It's not like a couple of fleas are a terminal thing.

cheers

poodle fan..

....just an idea but not sure whether is would help with mini poodles and Kierrasmommy.....

When I lived in Thornton near Maitland( NSW) i had an aweful problem with fleas.. plagued by the wretched things.. but use to treat and dab tea tree oil on the prevalent spots.. ie base of tail, armpits etc,, just a dab really kept the pesty thing away... now the question is this.. would tea tree oil ( just a dab) be of use as its a natural product?? or maybe too harsh or over powering for such a little tyke??

Im a great believer of natural products ..

Or maybe if the full strength oil is too much, a tea tree based doggie shampoo might be OK?

I use an all-natural soap free tea tree based bar for cleaning my two, never seen a flea in this house.

The added bonus is that they smell scrummy after using it, hides doggie odour well (not that you get much of that on a poodle :wave: )

Harminee31 - thanks for the tip on tea tree oil - fortunately my dogs haven't had any flea issues but I'll keep it in mind. I have heard that putting tea tree oil in spray bottle with water and spraying the dog is a good way to prevent fleas.

I'm actually treating my goldfish with a tea tree oil product at the moment! :wave: