Quirky Training Habits

OK so I decided to teach Zoe a send away to a food target like I have taught Kaos. She is very food motivated even at nearly 9 yrs so I thought I had a good chance. Once she got the idea she loved it and was fast! Recently she has started bringing the target (blue plastic lid) back with her :) She is a goose! She is so excited and enjoying it and I just have to laugh! Since it's just for fun not anything serious I haven't tried to stop her.

Anyone else have a good story of funny things their dogs decided to do in training?

That's funny & very cute. Trim tends to do that as well, everything is a retrieve (except my slippers...as below).

My funny story...

I taught Shine to bring me my slippers at night. She understands that when I ask, her job is to go into my room & bring one of them to me and then go & get the other one. For some reason she thinks she has to jump on the couch in the family room on the way, then off again before bringing them to me in the loungeroom. So long as they are sitting at or near the door of my bedroom, she can find them. If they are not obvious, she will often come back without them.

This is where Trim comes in. She is totally determined that her mouth on my slippers is a complete NO NO, so it's just about the only thing she will not retrieve. She will however go & find them & show them to Shine by pawing at them & then Shine will bring them to me.

It has developed into a funny & predictable routine.

Cute stories!!!

Jedi sleeps in our bedroom upstairs so each morning I carry him down the stairs. As he has grown bigger I am no longer able to hold him with one arm and open the baby gate. I carry him like a baby with him sitting on my hip but usually have my other hand under his chest. When we get to the door, I put his paws around my neck so I have a hand free.

Jedi has picked up on this routine now and when I get to the gate he automatically sits up and puts his paws around my neck! It is sooo cute! And very convenient! As soon as we're through the gate he goes back to his original position.

That would be funny to watch :)

The funny thing is Zoe doesn't usually pick stuff up. She will retrieve and I have taught her to pick something up and put it in the bin, but she does not normally carry toys or tug.

Edited by Kavik

Everything is a potential retreive toy to Darcy, we were doing an obedience run through and my "judge" was using the white plastic/perspex markers.

Darcy kept picking them up and returning them to me in the hope that I would throw them for her - far more exciting than heel work :)

Bella & Roggie respond to "are you hungry?" and "dinner" by running to their bowls & patiently waiting :)

Ours know that when I say "Can you get the dog bowls" to the OH, that food is coming and they all start to circle.

My first attempt at clicker training a show stack actually wound up teaching the little bugger to dance when he thought his reward was for moving rather than for moving into a specific position. That was definitely one of those "oopsie, back to the drawing board" moments...

When attempting to shape a "head" down" pose, I captured *one* attempt where his nose touched the couch as he put his head down. So that routine became *run over to the couch and put your head on the ground while touching the couch with your nose*...

With retrieving: when working on getting longer holds of the dumbell - Cash is naturally creative (sits can be hard as they are too simple!) so experimented with paw lifts while holding the dumbell. At the time I was only interested in the hold so didn't fuss about the paw lift. Now I have a dog that is convinced the exercise includes touching his paw to the dumbell while holding it.

Superstitious behaviour drives me up the wall, especially because I know I *trained* it!

As soon as my shoes go on in the morning, both my nut bags zoom around the lounge room, Leila jumps and waits on the sofa, Dante plonks himself on the bed on the floor and wait for their good bye treat, they won't move even if you've changed the routine slightly.

A slight move on the sofa at around 5pm gets Leila zooming around again as she sits and pleads for her walk. The most annoying thing is in the weekends when she gets the time of the day confused and starts acting like a loon at around 2pm!

not a bad thing but i taught Koda that when i cook, if i say get outa my kitchen she nicks off. i told my OH whi is lazy as buggery when it comes to being consisntant, so he has started using her release command and i have to start from scratch on that again, cuase now she only rememebers to get out of the kitchen.

works in the bedrooms too, but not the bathroom.

Guest Clover

Some cute stories :laugh:.

Harri is shocking at when i tell him to sit he automaticly goes into a beg. It is embarrasing especially in an obedience class and he wont sit only beg :D.

When I first got Jarrah she was a nightmare chewer.

At first, I'd grab whatever she'd found, thank her, and substitute. She quite liked the thanks I think, so she developed the habit of bringing me stuff she'd like to chew, quite a nice habit, apart from toilet rolls, and a DVD remote my posessions remained relatively unscathed by comparison to other adolescent Bully breed owners. :laugh:

A month or so ago, I started putting her toys and other stuff I knew she'd love to chew (rinsed yoghurt containers are her favourite) in 2 piles, one upstairs, one downstairs, partly for tidyness, and partly so I could find an appropriate chewy to substitute quickly when needed. Now, when she wants to chew, she makes a beeline for her toy piles, she still brings them to me to inspect for pre chewing approval. :D

ETA: The worst thing I taught her with a velcro fastened collar that loosened was that collars might sometimes be loose enough for to slip off her head if she pulled back hard enough. Not great at all. :/

Edited by Wobbly

superminty

Retrieves are great for accidental training aren't they :laugh: When trying to shape Diesel's hold, somehow he got it into his head that he was supposed to throw the dumbell once he had it!

These are more quirks, but one dog throws my thong at me when he decides it is time for a walk, lol, and all dogs know the phrase " behind the line"

That came about from 3 dogs crowding me in the kitchen when I was cutting up steak etc. I walked them back saying 'out' and 'more' ...now if they are under my feet, it is a bit of a routine...I say " out" and they back up a few feet and just wait till I am saying 'further, further further, BEHIND THE LINE DAMMIT". When I get to the behind the line bit, they scoot out pretty quick and sit behind the imaginary line I have made :laugh"

Guest Tess32

Well I spent so much time training Noah to get into heel position that now he just goes around and around if I pause too much! hehe.

superminty

Retrieves are great for accidental training aren't they :laugh: When trying to shape Diesel's hold, somehow he got it into his head that he was supposed to throw the dumbell once he had it!

Lol, clever dog, throws AND fetches! Now if only you could mass produce them, we'd all have self-exercising dogs :D

Trix knows the word move, if she is in my way I say move and she will take a few steps back. They know what dinner and walkies mean.

Trix jumps into my arms when I call her with my arms spread (cant even remember how that started)

When I was training Trix when we first got her (I was 12) I didn't realise that when going through commands you should break them up. So whenever I would ask Trix to sit she would automatically sit, then shake, then drop, then roll onto her back :(

This isn't mine, but it's still very amusing. A friend in a writing group once told of how her border collie was sometimes too smart for her own good. Case in point, when she was a puppy, my friend taught her to sit, lay down and roll in that order. Now when they say 'sit', she sits, lays down and rolls over. Lucky thing she's just a pet.

Like a few others the retrieve has caused us trouble :D

Was teaching Nova dumbell retrieve with the clicker, we were getting somewhere....up to him holding it when *one* single bloody time he was too quick (and i was too slow) and he got clicked for touching the dumbell with his paw. Of course this would be the one thing he picks up on so now i have a dog that will lay next to the dumbell and place a paw on it, no matter how many times ive tried to 'correct' this behaviour :p